Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DediServe banning me for fraud and refused to explain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DediServe banning me for fraud and refused to explain

dujiulun2006dujiulun2006 Member
edited January 2017 in Providers

Last weekend DediServe made an Lunar New Year offer with 50% off. I missed the Christmas offer, so I took action this time.

Then, as some people have been through, my order was hold for fraudulence check. Then I provided my photo ID and everything their staff asked for, and their response was to close my account and ban my IP (which is dynamic allocated from PPPoE).

I asked them (politely and not repeatedly, because I've been here long enough to know more) about this decision, and they said "They reserve the right to refuse any client they like" (sounds legit but pretty random), and "My account and IP was related to fraud in the past". I explained to them that I have been an active client with several VPS hosting companies right now, and my IP is dynamic, but to no use.

I understand that companies can refuse clients of their choice, and I'm not thirsting for their budget server for my million-dollar startup or anything. But if you want to make an offer for Chinese people in Lunar New Year (which is big in China), maybe don't be an A-hole and randomly ban people.

For others who stumbled into this thread: Sorry for the negativity, and Happy Lunar New Year!

(Edit: Use the proper term "Lunar New Year" instead. Their coupon code was called "ChineseNewYear".)

Comments

• AM1AM1 Member

Sad story, happend with my friend on other platform. They just banned him w/o any conversation or notice. Blocked his IP. Even though he was a legit guy, his id was verified and all. These things happen if your ip is belonging to a pool where scammers are.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • Businesses have to protect themselves, particularly in the budget hosting business where margins are slim, and they have to make best use of the tools available to them to combat fraud and bad customers.

It's unfortunate that you got banned as a result of your IP address having a poor reputation, if there's a high risk of your order being fraudulent based on evidence available, what can they do?

This wasn't 'random' and they didn't 'refuse to explain' - your order was declined because your IP has a history of poor behaviour and they told you this.

It's unfortunate, but these things happen in this industry. Don't take it personally and move on.

• skylimitskylimit Member
    edited January 2017

I would like to add two comments to the thread:

1 - There is no such thing as 'Chinese New Year' to the international community. The actual celebration is called 'Lunar New Year' and is correct without any bias. When you write 'Chinese New Year', many will think that the celebration is for the Communist ruling and their achievements. This is clearly wrong and unjustified. The New Year is on the basis of the lunar calendar and is celebrated by many countries, not just China such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam. This is the best way so you not excluding any groups or potentially oppress for others that are celebrating. When you use 'Lunar New Year', you are including people of all groups (Han, Mongol etc) and creates unity.

So my recommendation is that you should write 'Lunar New Year' when addressing this in English unless your audience is in China only. Please be careful when using this term.

2 - Your IP may of belonged to the same IP range as the other 'fraud' client and so they decided to cancel your order. There is nothing much that can be done as long as they have provided you a refund. You really don't have any more choices.

I do not believe they would be randomly banning people, but some businesses may have to evaluate the risk if you don't meet face to face.

Thank you.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2017

skylimit said: So my recommendation is that you should write 'Lunar New Year' when addressing this in English unless your audience is in China only. Please be careful when using this term.

The bulk of the western world knows it as Chinese New Year, and no-one here gives a flying fuck about political correctness, so my recommendation is that he calls it whatever he wants because everyone knows what he means anyway.

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited January 2017

Maybe another host flagged you?

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • Nekki said: It's unfortunate that you got banned as a result of your IP address having a poor reputation, if there's a high risk of your order being fraudulent based on evidence available, what can they do?

Well, they could decline my order before asking for more proof. When they did, they gave me a chance to prove myself to be legit. But after I provided a scan of my govt issued photo ID and recent credit card bill (they asked me to prove my card's issuing bank and country, even though I selected PayPal), they didn't say it's not enough, it's in Chinse, or it's not real, just banned me.

Shit, am I falling for some kind of identity collection scam?

skylimit said: There is no such thing as 'Chinese New Year' to the international community. The actual celebration is called 'Lunar New Year' and is correct without any bias.

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the term, also they used "ChineseNewYear" as their coupon. I have updated my OP to use the correct term.

• dujiulun2006 said: Well, they could decline my order before asking for more proof. When they did, they gave me a chance to prove myself to be legit. But after I provided a scan of my govt issued photo ID and recent credit card bill (they asked me to prove my card's issuing bank and country, even though I selected PayPal), they didn't say it's not enough, it's in Chinse, or it's not real, just banned me.

Thinking logically, one would assume they took your ID to see if they could use it to distance you from the fraud flag in some way. Thinking practically, maybe they have worker drones handling the tickets and asking for ID is a 'process' they they sometimes follow unecessarily. We're not going to find out what happened here.

dujiulun2006 said: Shit, am I falling for some kind of identity collection scam?

My God, I think you're right; this whole hosting company has been a massive scam just to allow some nefarious entity to collect the most treasured of items; Chinese passport details.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2017

Chinese New Year.

This is my answer to a post above that was way out in left field.

• So apparently calling Chinese New Year 'Lunar New Year' is upsetting to certain people as their 'Lunar New Year' falls on a completely different day. They have asked me to ask if we can refer to Chinese New Year as Chinese New Year again. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • And now I'm offended; because Muslims also have a lunar new year with religious significance and it isn't time of it.

So you must change your original post to "Far eastern lunar new year offer"

// just trolling :)

• Hey everyone,

I do not want to start a debate here, but I would like to really offer my 2 cents to the discussion of the 'Chinese New Year'. There are already a plethora of articles available online on the difference of 'lunar' and 'Chinese' which may affect several ethnic groups. Some may feel strongly against 'Chinese New Year' if they were a migrant or were victimised by the regime. For sure, how you use it is your choice and there is nothing stopping you. It is the decision of the business on whatever promotion they offer and the name it is called.

I am not sure if anyone is aware, but there is a state run organisation in China which is the 'internet police' and they spread ideas and values that are leaning towards to the government over there. One such ideal would the promotion of the term 'Chinese New Year', and it would glorify the government over there. Any social media posts or online articles against any of the objectives will spark a commentary from the Chinese 'internet police'.

@Nekki - your comment with regards 'Bulk' is not necessarily true. It can be seen as a misconception.

I have lived in Bristol before and I can clearly understand why you would refer it to 'Chinese New Year'.

In Canada, the term 'Lunar' is more commonly accepted and any 'Chinese' institutes in Universities are banned, as they are blatantly collecting information.... (I'll better not describe in detail). There are reasons for these language institutes to be banned. There is also a large Han minority group over there and thus people will have a strong opinion about it.

In some other Western countries such as Australia, state news agencies would use 'Lunar' to not provoke citizens or residents.

Overall 'Chinese New Year' is more of a marketing term, and people do know how to use the terms depending on their stance.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • Nobody cares mate.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • Nekki said: My God, I think you're right; this whole hosting company has been a massive scam just to allow some nefarious entity to collect the most treasured of items; Chinese passport details.

Haha, I'm just kidding. It's just that it doesn't make too much sense.

But on a more serious note, am I supposed to send in my passport scan instead of ID card, when I was asked to submit my ID? Cause that might be what I did wrong... (But they could have told me to submit that)

• mariafashionmariafashion Member
    edited January 2017

Nekki said: Nobody cares mate.

As I said it is just my 2 cents.

// End.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • dujiulun2006 said: But on a more serious note, am I supposed to send in my passport scan instead of ID card, when I was asked to submit my ID? Cause that might be what I did wrong... (But they could have told me to submit that)

If you're dealing with drones, who knows, always a possibility that if the document isn't what they expect, they just reject, but I would expect better than that.

mariafashion said: As I said it is just my 2 cents.

Don't do yourself down, that was at least $5 worth.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • First: Let's start a war over Lunar vs. Chinese new year! Where are the nuclear codes when one needs them?

@dujiulun2006

I'm afraid we can't but speculate. Maybe they had some bad chinese clients (not knowing the language, the "characters", and the culture also "helps" in being mistrusting against certain region or countries). Or maybe some provider put you into one of these fraud checking services (some of which probably are closer to fraud than many who they "report" about). Whatever, we can't know.

I was lucky that it didn't happen to me yet, but if it did I'd just shrug and turn around and think "Oh well, if you don't want customers ...". Chance are, I guess, that companies like that wouldn't treat their customers well, anyway.

So, don't worry, just look for a smarter provider and have a happy Lunar New Year.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • @Neoon said:

Cest Pit is over that way.

Thanked by 2dujiulun2006 WSS
  • bohdans said: Maybe another host flagged you?

Yes, that crossed my mind too. But as I said, I have active boxes elsewhere with no problem, and have never ever raised a PayPal dispute at any provider. So I don't know who set me up and when.

I tried to look myself up in those anti-fraud databases, but apparently they only let providers make such queries at a cost. So who knows?

• How did you know their promo?

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • So they asked you to provide ID and then closed your account? What's the point of providing the ID if they were going to close the account either ways?

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • Four20 said: What's the point of providing the ID if they were going to close the account either ways?

We don't know that's the case. The ID could have corroborated the fraud flag for all we know.

Thanked by 2Four20 dujiulun2006
  • Unfortunately we can't comment in specific cases without being in breach of Data Protection laws, but we only close accounts with justification and verification.

Our systems are not flawless (far from it) so if the OP feels the flagging was unjust, do reach out by PM for more details.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • dediserve said: Unfortunately we can't comment in specific cases without being in breach of Data Protection laws, but we only close accounts with justification and verification.

Our systems are not flawless (far from it) so if the OP feels the flagging was unjust, do reach out by PM for more details.

Sorry chap, but that's a bit bollocks; you can't expect users to contact you via PM on an internet forum to find out why their account was closed and to be able make their case; that should have happened via your ticketed system before the account was closed.

If you have that conversation here, on LET where you have no control over the data or guarantee of data privacy/security, surely that puts you in breach of Data Protection laws?

• @Nekki said:

dediserve said: Unfortunately we can't comment in specific cases without being in breach of Data Protection laws, but we only close accounts with justification and verification.

I was suggesting the OP reach out to me personally if there was something wrong with the validation. Posting any information publicly about WHY we refused service would be a breach, but I'm happy to have the OP confirm who he actually is, so I could make direct contact (via the email on file) to perhaps provide more insight into the refusal (something we don't typically do, nor are obliged to).

Hope that helps clarify our intent.

• dediserve

Uhm, you are not obliged to nor in the habit of telling clients after asking pretty much every personal info except maybe a nude image to tell why you kick them out of the door?

What are your clients to you? Stupid cattle to be milked and otherwise to shut the fuck up?

From what I saw so far it seems that you grossly lack respect for your clients and that you treat them like shit - but - when they come here and tell about their experience you get concerned and suddenly are ready to treat them somewhat better, if hush hush.

And, yes, I would agree that your post did clarify quite a lot regarding your attitude.

And I think that you should think hard and twice whether you really want to create the impression that you think, Chinese can be treated in every bad way you please.

Thanked by 1dujiulun2006
  • nocker said: How did you know their promo?

They posted it on a Chinese blog about VPS hosting. I don't think it's right to promote another blog here, but do a search in the forum and I'm sure you can find it.

dediserve said: but I'm happy to have the OP confirm who he actually is, so I could make direct contact (via the email on file) to perhaps provide more insight into the refusal (something we don't typically do, nor are obliged to).

I thought about mentioning your account here, but I don't want to seem annoying.

I did contact you (your staff; similarly hereinafter) last Saturday via your support email, which is turned into a ticket. Then I waited two days, because your auto-response said your "Sales and account team doesn't work on weekends" (but managed to lightning close my account somehow.) And that ticket was deleted with no response.

After the wait, I contacted you via the online chatting box on your homepage with my account email, and got the answer above ("refuse any client you like" and so.)

I think I've tried every proper ways to "contact the provider before bitching on a public forum," but in light of chatting, I have PMed my account email to you. Thanks.

• @bsdguy said:
    dediserve

Uhm, you are not obliged to nor in the habit of telling clients after asking pretty much every personal info except maybe a nude image to tell why you kick them out of the door?

First up, I'm sure other posters here can provide references as to our customer care.
    Second, the special is NOT a dediserve special, it was run by a Chinese blog, just happened to include us as a service provider Third, we only refuse service for -very- good reason - we're not in the habit of turning away legitimate customers.

However, to err is human and no system is perfect, I'm simply willing to engage with this customer - just as I would be if he opened an email to us, to see if we made an error in this one case.

• @dediserve

Well, as I do not really know and have all the relevant information I can't but be based on what I see here.

And I see a Chinese who did try to contact you through different channels, however failed as you were not ready to tell him why who treated him so badly.

And I read, I quote, "perhaps provide more insight into the refusal (something we don't typically do, nor are obliged to)." from you.

As your chinese customer seems to be a well mannered and polite man I fail to see an evildoer and troublemaker, quite the contrary.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the problem of much internet trouble arising from certain countries, i.a. China, and a providers need to protect themselves. But I'm under the impression that you mistreated the wrong guy and that you are not furthering but harming your business by not apologizing but trying to keep the high ground.