Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LetBox VPS down again, without any email/notification - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LetBox VPS down again, without any email/notification

Comments

• @Yura leave vultr.com out of this!

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited January 2017

@key900 said:

We do 5 : 10 days Notifications before Maintenance, Unexpected Uplink fault won't give chance to informing anyone i'm sorry for that.

But why wouldn't you send out an email to customers during the downtime? Why didn't you update Twitter? Both your website and client area was down so there was no way to contact you and inquire about what the problem was or when it would be resolved.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@rpollestad said:

@key900 said:

We do 5 : 10 days Notifications before Maintenance, Unexpected Uplink fault won't give chance to informing anyone i'm sorry for that.

But why wouldn't you send out an email to customers during the downtime? Why didn't you update Twitter? Both your website and client area was down so there was no way to contact you and inquire about what the problem was or when it would be resolved.

We responded at all Twitter please check our twitter page we do respond all of them.

Thanks

• @key900 said:

We responded at all Twitter please check our twitter page we do respond all of them.

Thanks

But, you didn't? You didn't post anything about the outage on your feed and I sent you a direct message 16 hours ago and it's still unanswered.

Assuming this is still your account: https://twitter.com/LetBoxx

@rpollestad said:

@key900 said:

Thanks

But, you didn't? You didn't post anything about the outage on your feed and I sent you a direct message 16 hours ago and it's still unanswered.

DM? are you sure?i don't see it i will double check now, We won''t do announcing because we won't know what is happened and wait update the datacenter. We are going to do announced once everything got confirmed last we got they " believe the uplink fault" i wanne to be confirm and sure before we do that announced.

@rpollestad said:

@key900 said:

Thanks

I just checked again there is no DM.

• OK, just so I'm clear for when an outage occurs in the future: you won't post any kind of public updates or email out to customers to let them know what is going on, even if it's something simple like "this is an issue with our data center network. we are waiting on word from them about the cause." We're just left in the dark wondering what happened.

• @key900 said:

@rpollestad said:
    OK, just so I'm clear for when an outage occurs in the future: you won't post any kind of public updates or email out to customers to let them know what is going on, even if it's something simple like "this is an issue with our data center network. we are waiting on word from them about the cause." We're just left in the dark wondering what happened.

i'm only who have access to Twitter and i'm not working around the clock and yes that's a mistake i will add one of my staff to keep following, I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced

edited January 2017

@rpollestad said:

@key900 said:

Direct Messages is different than writing Tweet. but i still can't see your Tweet.!

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited January 2017

sigh

edited January 2017

@rpollestad said:
    sigh Feels like you're missing the entire point here.

i'm totally understand, but again if you check our tweet we already said that please check, i still missing yours tweet not sure why can't see it.

• Houston_Datum said:

I think what @key900 is trying to explain to you is they warn customers about planned maintenance 5/10 days before but an uplink outages can't be planned for. Although I'm not sure how big the letbox operation is but usually when situations like this happen the provider tries to handle the situation before posting anything about it if its a swift fix.

If I understand the complaint, there was an unexpected outage that lasted a while and the host didn't post any response to it. I'd say if there's an outage long enough for the host to notice and respond to, they ought to post something ("we're working on it"). Anything longer than 15 minutes is probably enough for that. Even if it fixes itself before humans get involved, there should be a status page update.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • Hi @key900 would be great if you could host a status page outside of LetBox's network.

During an outage (even unplanned) customers just want to know if the outage is known about (and that you're working on it). If you can provide an ETR that's even better but simply acknowledging the outage would save customers a lot of angst.

statuspage.io is commonly used as an off-network status host.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • WSSWSS Member

@goosmurf said:
    statuspage.io is commonly used as an off-network status host.

lol

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • goosmurf said: statuspage.io

That looks ridiculously expensive. Twitter is the first place lots of people will look. A simple status page with some other provider at a different DC is also helpful.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @willie said:

goosmurf said: statuspage.io

That looks ridiculously expensive. Twitter is the first place lots of people will look. A simple status page with some other provider at a different DC is also helpful.

Twitter's fine too. Just trying to point LetBox at something commonly used.

I don't really get the lols about pricing. Maybe it sounds expensive until you realise how much time and effort it would take to build and maintain something of similar convenience and high availability.

FWIW MNX.io uses statuspage.io and I'm paying both LetBox and MNX.io the same $7/mo for storage VPSes.

Anyway I'm not here to shill for statuspage, Twitter works just as well. The point is to have some off-network status to notify customers of [unplanned] outages.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Lets quit beating a dead horse dead. I think the provider will take better procedures in the future to communicate an outage. Well i do have a sister also.

• Love all the vultures on this thread.. providers picking each others is the best kind of shitstorm that happens almost every day now.

Thanked by 2MikeA jvnadr
  • goosmurf said: I don't really get the lols about pricing. Maybe it sounds expensive until you realise how much time and effort it would take to build and maintain something of similar convenience and high availability.

What exactly does it do that's so difficult?

• @willie said:

Convinces people to pay money.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

I really need to ajaxify an old OS version of MajorDomo and cash out with my amazing chainmail service.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member
    edited January 2017

@WSS said:
    I really need to ajaxify an old OS version of MajorDomo and cash out with my amazing chainmail service.

<blink> Don't forget blink for some eye candy! </blink>

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • WSSWSS Member

Oooh.. I was thinking marquee.

• @willie said:

goosmurf said: I don't really get the lols about pricing. Maybe it sounds expensive until you realise how much time and effort it would take to build and maintain something of similar convenience and high availability.

Nothing about it is particularly difficult.

It's the combination of spending the time to build the right set of features and more importantly maintain it.

It's not the best solution for everyone. It boils down to the value of your (or your employees') time and opportunity cost.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

goosmurf said: It's the combination of spending the time to build the right set of features and more importantly maintain it.

What are the features that need any thought or implementation or nontrivial maintenance? Is it more than a static web page or simple blog that the user can update if there's some news? You can get that for free at Wordpress or whatever.

If it's one of those pages with traffic lights to show the status of different hosts and services, there's scripts around for that too, and the monthly cost still seems ridiculous.

Added--this looks nice: https://github.com/robn/towncrier

See the output here: http://www.fastmailstatus.com/

It can run on a very basic vps. Don't know if it can automatically post events from Nagios but that doesn't sound like rocket science either.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Nah, I was a voicy supporter of StatusPage.io, until they decided to double their prices and move basic SSL options to 400 USD / mo package. Now I recommend Cachet hosted out of your network on a separate domain.

https://cachethq.io/

Free + server and admin cost.

• Clouvider said: voicy supporter of StatusPage.io,

Could you give a quick summary of what interesting things they did? It didn't look like much of anything to charge big bucks for. Looks more like something Scriptaculous would put on cheap shared hosting.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

Clouvider said: voicy supporter of StatusPage.io,

Could you give a quick summary of what interesting things they did? It didn't look like much of anything to charge big bucks for. Looks more like something Scriptaculous would put on cheap shared hosting.

It was cool, had no obvious bugs, nice metrics, worked out of the box, and costed less than a half of what it does when I was supporting it making the alternative of managing own server + application less interesting. I don't anymore since Cachet is now fairly mature and free, and the price increase of StatusPage.io, especially of such a huge magnitude, was not justified in features delivered.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • Yeah, Cachet looks like the kind of thing I had in mind. Seems easy enough to make a container/template/Scriptaculous blob out of it, for 1-click install.