Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hudson Valley Host - Closing Lithuania Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hudson Valley Host - Closing Lithuania Location

TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
edited May 2013 in General

I just received this from Hudson Valley Host.....

Dear Valued Customer,

Our current provider has informed us that they are no longer allowing servers with
a high amount of IPs on their network and have requested us to move our services. 
Due to this we are no longer offering services in Lithuania.  All VPS accounts in
Lithuania will be migrated to our US servers beginning Monday May 13th. 

Our new servers feature the following specs:

Intel XEON Quad Core E3-1270v2

32GB RAM

1TB HDD SATA3 x 4 with Hardware RAID 10

1GBPS Port Speed

In order to complete the server migration we will be moving our servers to our US
locations where you will experience better network speeds. We are also giving all
customers a FREE port upgrade to 1GBPS!

We will begin the migration on 5/13/13. The migration may take several days to
complete. As soon as your VPS is migrated you will receive a notification with your
new IPs. Nothing else will change on your VPS. All data will remain intact. We will
also keep your old VPS active until 6/1/13 to allow DNS propagation.

We know migrations are never fun however in order to provide you with the best
service this is needed. We are here 24/7 to assist you in anyway possible. You can
also contact me direct at [email protected]. I thank you for your
business.

Thank You,
        Ernie Q.
        Hudson Valley Host

Okay, I can understand with the ip crunch that ip addresses are becoming scarce, but I have never understood this idea that providers get where if I choose a service in a non-US country and you choose to discontinue it that you think I want to have a vps in the US. Usually in cases like this most people purchased it specifically for the location...

I am glad you are looking to make this as painless as possible, but the product will not be comparable. 1Gbit in US is NOT equal to 100mbit in Lithuania, apples and oranges. sigh

Anyhow, for the rest... SUPRISE.... your comments below....

Comments

• 24khost24khost Member

Would you rather have no service. The provider was forced out. Little to no time to find a new location quick.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

1GBPS??? Somebody run a speed test and show us what 8Gbps on an LEB looks like. ;)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2013

@24khost I guess my comments were a bit rhetorical, however, in my case .. yes.. or at least make this a temporary thing with an at least European replacement to come in the near future. There are other ways this can be handled.

I am not really hating on Ernie, things are what they are, but I will likely be moving away once the service there comes to an end. I personally was using the server for the location. The last thing I need/want is another server in CC.

Nothing but the best wishes for HVH and Ernie moving forward.

Edit: @KuJoe -> ROFL, that would be awesome :x

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Baltic contacted us stating that having servers with a high amount of IPs on one server is:

"This moment for this bussiness model what you have - we cant work with you."

"We are oriented to Partners who reselling our dedicated servers, maybe do you want join Partnership program. http://www.balticservers.com/partnership"

Unfortunately we have no choice but to move this server.

• 24khost24khost Member

Are they not in host dime anymore?

• Sounds fair. They're offering a lot of help.. it's such a far move though and they may lose customers who dont need US hosting.

We understand we may lose some customers due to this. We are sad to see any of them go. We are trying to make this transition as easy as possible. We are not happy about the situation.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

I have never understood this idea that providers get where if I choose a service in a non-US country and you choose to discontinue it that you think I want to have a vps in the US. Usually in cases like this most people purchased it specifically for the location...

+1

Would you rather have no service.

Why would HVH Lithuania customers be without service if they didn't agree to move to the US? Hudson Valley isn't the only VPS provider in Lithuania (just like UGVPS who tried to move their UK customers to Buffalo wasn't the only provider in the UK). Cloudlix and Baltic Servers are both reliable and they're in Lithuania not the US.

• 24khost24khost Member

@Ernie you guys still in hostdime?

24khost we are not in Orlando any more.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

HVH made the right decision, you shouldn't be complaining, atleast your data didn't go anywhere!

• 24khost24khost Member

Ahhh okay.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@Ernie May I ask, why aren't you guy's over in Scranton, PA anymore?

We are trying to diversify our locations a bit more in the US. We had NY, PA and NC. Pretty much all in the same area of the East Coast. Now we have NY, TX, and CA. Trying to spread it out a bit. Not only that but the servers in PA were our oldest and quite antiquated. They were no where near the hardware specs of our current servers.

edited May 2013

@Jeffrey said: HVH made the right decision, you shouldn't be complaining, atleast your data didn't go anywhere!

Depends what part of the decision you are talking about. Moving the service to a completely different continent I think is the topic. In fact right now, all the customers servers are online, so the quality of the server wasn't in question. The location chosen for the servers to be moved to, was. I am not angry, but I have seen several hosts pull this card. US Hosting is a lot cheaper than European hosting across the board, so I can understand it as a cheap fall back in a situation like this. I am not saying it had to be in Lithuania even, but at least a European offer would have been more appealing.

I will move on, I am not butt hurt or anything, in the time I was with HVH they were great. No complaints here about the quality of their services at all. I would have just preferred to see a plan that included (at least) staying in Europe.

Cheers!

I totally understand TheLinuxBug. We have a pretty short amount of time to make all of this happen and this was decided to be the best course of action. We may in the future deploy a new location in Europe. Sorry for the inconvenience. If theres anything I can personally do to help feel free to contact me direct.

• @Ernie I can understand that this must have been something that happened to you unexpectedly and that you are pressed for time. Thank you for your responses in this thread. I will continue to use my server until you end services in Lithuania, and as I said, so far every things been great! Hopefully you guys can come up with another European offer again in the near future, in which case, I will be back.

Cheers!

Thank You. I appreciate your kind words.

• I've had a couple of users recommend that we post in this thread. VPSCorner offers Moldova based VPS packages starting from $2.50. Sorry if this is out of place posting in your thread, do let me state to users that this is purely for those wanting to stay in the region of Moldova/Lithuania etc and that we completely respect the current host and are posting purely as per the above. You can visit us at https://vpscorner.co.uk. Cheers!

• dAgentdAgent Member

@DomainBop said: Baltic Servers are both reliable

Baltic reliable? seen some reviews on WHT but none of them was positive

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: In order to complete the server migration we will be moving our servers to our US locations where you will experience better network speeds.

Right, better speeds, unless I am myself in the f---ing Lithuania to begin with! Or Europe in general for that matter. What nauseates me about some providers in these kinds of situations, they are ALWAYS on the look-out for themselves only, ALWAYS place above everything the question "how do I minimize my losses", NOT caring about what customer may want in the slightest. Ernie, you know what's missing from your E-Mail? An offer of a no-questions-asked prorated refund and cancellation to anyone who was an LT client and who's unhappy about the move.

• Baltic Servers is who HVH was using. So I imagine you would get the same network performance using their VPS services. However, it is going to be a bit more expensive. I imagine they shutdown HVH because they seem to have the most competitive pricing on VPS directly in LT that I can find (VPSCorner is in .md). Most other .LT providers are charging ~12$ USD while HVH was offering at around $9.00 USD ($4.95 with their special). Seems like a power move to control the market share in VPS if you ask me. The reason HVH has to leave is because the provider didn't want them using all the ip addresses they had and wants them back basically, so they have told HVH they will need to leave.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@rm_ said: Right, better speeds, unless I am myself in the f---ing Lithuania to begin with! Or Europe in general for that matter. What nauseates me about some providers in these kinds of situations, they ALWAYS on the look-out for themselves only, ALWAYS place above everything the question "how do I minimize my losses", NOT caring about what customer may want in the slightest. Ernie, you know what's missing from your E-Mail? An offer of a no-questions-asked prorated refund and cancellation to anyone who was an LT client and who's unhappy about the move.

Exactly my thoughts but you expressed them better. Thank you.

edited May 2013

@rm_ Ya, that was pretty much my thoughts too originally. I already voice my opinions on the subject, and I think Ernie got the message. Hopefully though going forward others can take some notes from this thread. It is quite annoying.

Cheers!

• krokro Member

Thanks vpscorner

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Estonia is just next door to Lithuania and has a fairly awesome LEB provider there!

Have a look at TorqHost if you need something in the same region. I've had a TorqHost for nearly a year now and couldn't be happier :)

edited May 2013

Got one from Torhost, also have one in Moldova. I will just be missing Lithuania after it goes down for a bit. Not sure it is worth $10.00/month to almost idle. it is used for network connectivity testing and will eventually be part of geo-dns I am putting together, but for now sits almost unused. Would love to find a .LT KVM for LEB/LET prices. Probably will not happen. Most offers I have seen are OpenVZ.

Edit: side note, I have found Moldova is not as close to Lithuania as you might like a lot of times. For example, a traceroute from Baltic Servers to VPSCorner is sent .MD -> .DE (de-cix.fra1.euroweb.ro) -> .LT and has a latency of 73ms. So this isn't exactly a drop in replacement option latency wise.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I got removed from Baltic servers within 3 days of having my server provisioned last year. IPs was the reason behind that too.

They have a real policy against people who use more than 4 IPs, aka any reseller business model.

• KrisKris Member

I have a small set of 8 IPs, still have them from Baltic Servers, no issues here.

Their dedicated servers page still also advertises 8 IPs.

I've had 2-3 minute blips here and there, but nothing close to other 'data centers' on here.

• KrisKris Member
    edited May 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: Would love to find a .LT KVM for LEB/LET prices. Probably will not happen. Most offers I have seen are OpenVZ.

Not sure of the architecture, but BalticServers offers their vps servers through: https://www.cloudlix.com/

http://www.balticservers.com/vps-virtual-private-servers

Not low end, but if you want their network / location - They do offer VPS servers.