Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS, Unprofessional support, Not resolving problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS, Unprofessional support, Not resolving problems

zongyouxiaozongyouxiao Member
edited January 2017 in Help

I have a vps with chicagovps with a debian system, the day before yesterday I found it unreachable though ssh, I went to vnc console and found that it couldn't reach outside network, I tried to ping the server from home and found it can be pinged or tracerted, and the 22 port was also open while my ssh port was not 22, I felt strange, I then shut down my server, when it was offline, the server ip can still be tracerted or pinged, any how, after restart, it would back to normal, but after a while, same thing happened again, the server behind the ip seemed not mine.

I opened a ticket, they first asked me to reinstall my server(according to my experice, their first reply to ticket was always to ask you to reinstall your server no matter what the problem was), after clarify the situation, they replied with asking my confirmation to change my server ip to something else to see if problem would solved, today I found the server null routed, and they replied to me that my server was sending spam to outside so they null routed it, I don't think that was my server, but now the have null routed it, and insist saying I was sending spam and sent me the link http://www.senderbase.org/lookup/?search_string=, since I have never faced with such a strange situation, I don't know how deal with all these, absolutely my ip was not belonging to me since the day before yesterday, and now they null routed it I couldn't do anything to prove this.

Comments

• Yep, it sounds to be an usual case where the IP is added to another server by system issues. Have you tried to escalate the situation with Tier II support? Perhaps they have tier 1 2 and 3 support and the people from tier 1 just won't be helping you at all.

Thanked by 2zongyouxiao GCat
  • @Jbiloh is the owner of colocrossing and LET. Maybe he can give you some help in this. If you own the ip for just 24 hours, it is rather difficult to be already on a spam list because of you... probably the precious owner was sending spam. Either way, Colocrossing is not famous about their clean range of ips...

Thanked by 2zongyouxiao GCat
  • @rivermigue said:
    Yep, it sounds to be an usual case where the IP is added to another server by system issues. Have you tried to escalate the situation with Tier II support? Perhaps they have tier 1 2 and 3 support and the people from tier 1 just won't be helping you at all.

seems their ticket system doesn't support escalate....

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Amateurs through and through, solution: use another host.

Thanked by 3zongyouxiao GCat netomx
  • @jvnadr said:
    @Jbiloh is the owner of colocrossing and LET. Maybe he can give you some help in this. If you own the ip for just 24 hours, it is rather difficult to be already on a spam list because of you... probably the precious owner was sending spam. Either way, Colocrossing is not famous about their clean range of ips...

No, I have used the ip for more than 1 year...I checked that page with Email Volume History, the Daily Volume starts increasing from recent 2 or 3 days.

• zongyouxiao said: No, I have used the ip for more than 1 year...I checked that page with Email Volume History, the Daily Volume starts increasing from recent 2 or 3 days.

Valid point

zongyouxiao said: No, I have used the ip for more than 1 year...I checked that page with Email Volume History, the Daily Volume starts increasing from recent 2 or 3 days.

That would not stop them from either assigning it to someone else or someone else spoofing it.

• Classical case where the host assigns your ip for another VPS..

• Use recycle bin

Thanked by 2zongyouxiao doghouch
  • $1 says a poor password

• @stefeman said:
    Classical case where the host assigns your ip for another VPS..

The point is that the ip was sending spam, if they don't find which it is assigned to, the spam thing will happen again, and they will think that's me, I already told them that the ip could be tracerted after server shutdown, but they still can't solve the problem, I didn't know find what the ip was assigned to was so difficult.

• @doughmanes said:
    $1 says a poor password

Sorry, I don't quite understand your words, I'm not using poor password... their server root password is auto generated when ordering, it's 16 random chars, I didn't change that, I didn't use root account, I created a user with sudo privileage.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

@zongyouxiao said:

@stefeman said:

The point is that the ip was sending spam, if they don't find which it is assigned to, the spam thing will happen again, and they will think that's me, I already told them that the ip could be tracerted after server shutdown, but they still can't solve the problem, I didn't know find what the ip was assigned to was so difficult.

How are you still with a provider that can't even manage their ip pools? Just cancel and be done with it..

That sounds like a nightmare to me.. your ip gets re-assigned to someone else who then abuses the service and the incompetent host blames you for it.

There are tons of competent providers out there, so why you still trying to solve someone elses problem with an entity that does not even cooperate with your efforts? That's just stupid and waste of time..

If you dont know other alternatives, or dont want to search, make a thread in requests section and the providers will come forth offering their plans.. then just choose a suitable one from the offers.

Thanked by 1zongyouxiao
  • maybe someone else on the same network block simply took over/hijacked the IP. if there is no valid mac filtering or other countermeasures in place that's not really difficult to achieve... that also would fit the point that it became available back to OP just after rebooting.

• @stefeman said:
    How are you still with a provider that can't even manage their ip pools? Just cancel and be done with it..

That sounds like a nightmare to me.. your ip gets re-assigned to someone else who then abuses the service and the incompetent host blames you for it.

You'd be surprised how much this actually happens... I'm not sure if it's poor inventory keeping or if solus just doesn't do its job properly..

Either way as provisioning is totally automatic it's not an uncommon thing...

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

Yeah my guess is someone with mal-intent or a complete error in their automatic system/SolusVM/WHMCS module happened and your IP got assigned to someone else who then thus abused the service.

That seems most likely if you were able to still ping the IP while the server itself was completely offline, I have a few different VPSs with different providers and when I shut down the VPS the IP doesn't ping until the OS is back up and running. Since they advertise on here hopefully someone in charge over there sees this thread and is able to handle the situation accordingly.

Thanked by 1zongyouxiao
  • WSSWSS Member

I don't think I've found more than 2 providers in LET who can provision IPv6 outside of OpenVZ.

• @stefeman said:

@zongyouxiao said:

@stefeman said:

There are tons of competent providers out there, so why you still trying to solve someone elses problem with an entity that does not even cooperate with your efforts? That's just stupid and waste of time..

If you dont know other alternatives, or dont want to search, make a thread in requests section and the providers will come forth offering their plans.. then just choose a suitable one from the offers.

Thanks for your words, I will consider moving, I thougth their support will get better after acquired by CC, now I think I'm wrong.

• Not impressed with ChicagoVPS communication either. Moved on.

• Buddy, don't use any CC server for production. For non mission critical they are perfect. I even had occasion where their SolusVM wiped my VM.

If you still want to get the situation resolved... Contact @Nick. Seems to be an honest guy. The rest are outsourced support, level 1 basically.

I have given HVH a few tries. Was thinking if servermania, which seems to be yet another CC reseller, if they would provide a different experience in terms of support... But then a quick search says they spammed all the customers of staminus when they got hacked. Life...

Thanked by 1zongyouxiao
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@zongyouxiao - I have resolved your issue and gave you 3 free months of service due to your issue with the false positives today. Please check your ticket for additional information.

@Hxxx - Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention.

Thanked by 3Hxxx zongyouxiao WSS
  • @Nick hard working. Good job man. CC need more people like you and less outsourced.

Thanked by 1Nick
  • zongyouxiaozongyouxiao Member
    edited January 2017

@jarland can you please help edit to hide the ip in my post, I can't edit the post myself now, thanks.

@zongyouxiao said:
    @jarland can you please help edit to hide the ip in my post, I can't edit the post myself now, thanks.

I took care of it for you.

Thanked by 1zongyouxiao
  • @Nick said:
    @zongyouxiao - I have resolved your issue and gave you 3 free months of service due to your issue with the false positives today. Please check your ticket for additional information.

got it, many thanks for your looking into this.

Thanked by 1Nick

@zongyouxiao said:

@Nick said:

got it, many thanks for your looking into this.

You are most welcome!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2017

@zongyouxiao Next time you encounter a problem, just remember that jumping ship is as easy as a drag and drop. You're welcome:

Thanked by 2Francisco netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

lol gabe is fat

@Nick said:

I would have thought the support ticket would do that?

Thanked by 2ATHK Darwin
  • @doghouch said:
    @zongyouxiao Next time you encounter a problem, just remember that jumping ship is as easy as a drag and drop. You're welcome:

his smile so sweet XD