Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's the website's theme that makes me want to buy from providers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's the website's theme that makes me want to buy from providers

Comments

• DStroutDStrout Member

@RobertClarke said: If I was to pick a favorite, I'm honestly impressed by @mnpeep's website, he clearly paid a lot to get it done

That one's pretty good, but it could use a bit more contrast, a logo, and a bolder color in the area that says "Complex hosting made simple." But I do like the clean feel.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

It is overused however I totally love RackHost template :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I do really feel that a good website differentiates how a customer views a hosting company though, which is why I've always had a heavy emphasis on a site design.

@shovenose said: It is overused however I totally love RackHost template :)

I've come to hate it due to how overused it is.

• @RobertClarke said: I do really feel that a good website differentiates how a customer views a hosting company though, which is why I've always had a heavy emphasis on a site design.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The website's design/colors will directly affect the performance/support of the services.

It's an unflawed formula.

@skirtTight said: Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The website's design/colors will directly affect the performance/support of the services.

It's an unflawed formula.

It won't affect the service for sure, but it might be the tipping factor which leads to customer sales.

Depends what market you're going for I guess, customers with less experience in web hosting will definitely use it as a factor.

• DeanDean Member
    edited May 2013

@RobertClarke said: If I was to pick a favorite, I'm honestly impressed by @mnpeep's website, he clearly paid a lot to get it done: http://maxshosting.com

I run far from providers that remind me of mediatemple design elements

... edited as mediatemple recently changed their layout and I can't compare it.

@DeanClinton said: I run far from providers virtually cloning mediatemple design elements

Regardless, it's still a nice website, although I admit their server graphics are very similar to Mediatemple graphics.

• sdotsensdotsen Member

You guys seen bigscoots.com?

@sdotsen said: You guys seen bigscoots.com?

Pretty nice, although there's a lot going on on the homepage.

• MycroftMycroft Member

Same here OP, bad site = no go

• wilbowilbo Member

I don't much worry about a nice design. I look for professionalism and price. I could care less about a nice site, but maybe that's cuz I am the world's worst designer.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@skirtTight my secret for a while..site+plans. Minimalistic and modern says some thing about a *brand and process.

• DavidxDavidx Member

Yepp. Design is important to me. If I can make a better design... then you have a problem.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@RobertClarke said: he clearly paid a lot to get it done

I hope not. I mean it's nice but the server image is so clearly and a bit too heavily inspired by MediaTemple's Nitro image ( http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/nitro/ )

Beyond that it looks fairly simple, which is good, but it better not have cost a lot :P

Personally I like Catalyst. Now there's someone who spent a lot of money :P
    (Ryan spent too much for me to not brag on it)

• As for me the design will make me to stay awhile in their site and therefore gonna read a lot of info rather than take a quick glance and then move forward to other site :).

Do I make my decision based on the design, not directly but if visitor had spent a 5 minute to read your homepage then there's will be a much higher chance that it could be converted into customer isn't it? My 2 cents...

I do like this site netjelly(love they moving airplane), tmdhosting(what a cute turtle), tieto(my eyes feel so relax surfing their site-importantly for reading and keep staying at they site :P), oxeo(no fancy design here but utilise a big white space-again easy to reading)... Well that my preferences

• @jarland said: Personally I like Catalyst. Now there's someone who spent a lot of money :P

(Ryan spent too much for me to not brag on it)

Lol something unique and like the coffee and the yoga girl :P

@BadaBumbum said: the yoga girl

I don't know where that is but I assure you that if you point me to it I will kill it with fire :P

• Opps sorry mistaken :p not she does posed like a yoga lmao

View it again with my glasses OMG she sit with her lappy lol

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Hmm this thread makes me want to re-theme my site... But on the other hand I like my "KISS" drupal theme. :-)

• ConnorlConnorl Member

https://backupsy.com/

My favourite atm.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@Oliver said: drupal theme

Not just that but drupal themers are in high demand. I think the default drupal template structures are about the best example of well formed site structure developers can go by. You can literally build and or theme any site design from them, one of the beauties of drupal itself IMHO. I don't feel other CMS can boast that.
    +1
    @Connorl Not responsive, sorry it's Just.. why? If I can't read your site text on my iOS device then you lose /shrug.

• LeeLee Veteran

I agree that looks are important, first impressions count as they say, I would not have went near Buyvm had I not known others or hostigation for that matter, although hostigation has a slightly intriguing element that makes you pause.

Have seen me click on a link for a site, not just hosting but anything then immediately click back, if you cant make the effort to engage me at the very point of contact then I cba giving you my time. Again though it depends whether I am there because I happened to find you or because someone told me to look in which case I will sometimes overlook the design.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@natestamm said: iOS device

WHY?

• I am not (yet) CatalystHost customer, but when I visit the site, I see warmness but cool aura and real people in the home page.

When I click the About Us menu button, I am convinced that whoever use their service will be in good hands.

Just my impression though.

• helix very nice ui, but @Total First-Year Cost $22,850/month $7,500/month

piss off, cloud storage needs to be cheaper

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited May 2013

@RobertClarke said: If I was to pick a favorite, I'm honestly impressed by @mnpeep's website, he clearly paid a lot to get it done:

http://maxshosting.com

&

@Ivan said: Wow, Maxshosting has a really great theme :)

Thanks! :)

@Jacob said: It's nothing special or unique, but it's sleek!

You've got a standard font, mixed in with other stuff, take that big ass bold text off and chuck some ideas around then it would look better.

Edit: One thing I do love is the little characters, I take it back it's pretty good.

http://maxshosting.com/Team/index.html

I'm viewing it from my phone.

Thanks for the advice, we're still working on the website. I have added your suggestions to my to-do list.

@Patrick said: Pretty good, though that comparison against other hosts on Shared+VPS page makes me laugh

You gotta fill it with something ;)

@DeanClinton said: I run far from providers that remind me of mediatemple design elements

... edited as mediatemple recently changed their layout and I can't compare it.

Not exact, but close. Follow those who have succeeded in the past, as history repeats itself.

@jarland said: I hope not. I mean it's nice but the server image is so clearly and a bit too heavily inspired by MediaTemple's Nitro image ( http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/nitro/ )

Beyond that it looks fairly simple, which is good, but it better not have cost a lot :P

"A lot" is a relative term. We paid in the $XXX range for the site.

@mnpeep said: We paid in the $XXX range for the site

Acceptable then :)

Really then it's only the mediatemple thing that throws me off but I mean how many people are really going to catch that?

• t3stert3ster Member
    edited May 2013

@mnpeep said: "A lot" is a relative term. We paid in the $XXX range for the site.

Quite okay price. But as a developer, I recommend to remove the Open Sans font. Starts to be one of the most overused fonts.

On topic: Yep. The theme, at least for me, makes me to buy from providers. If you use a default themeforest theme, you'll need a damn good price to make me buy from you. But custom made themes, that look bad aren't better. So overall, the design must be unique and not bad.

• twaintwain Member
    edited May 2013

@skirtTight - So do you buy or sell on prgmr ?