Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which 'Forum Software' do you Prefer ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which 'Forum Software' do you Prefer ?

Comments

• I had bad experiences with old SMF. I do not know the recent version.

• Remember that your software choice isn't about you.
    It's about the users.

Tech-savvy, old school users, maybe those dinosaurs mentioned above...
    Everyone else, forget those, go the KISS way.

Discussion is about content, not bells and whistles or your ease of admin.
    It should be considered but, that's not the main point.

Thanked by 2Mridul emg
  • @DrCornFlakes said:
    Remember that your software choice isn't about you.
    It's about the users.

Tech-savvy, old school users, maybe those dinosaurs mentioned above...
    Everyone else, forget those, go the KISS way.

Discussion is about content, not bells and whistles or your ease of admin.
    It should be considered but, that's not the main point.

Very important point indeed, something we can easily ignore.
    Thanx.

• Anyone know what EsoTalk is lol

• DrCornFlakesDrCornFlakes Member
    edited January 2017

I know.

It's the predecessor of Flarum (same developer).

Flarum is the successor of EsoTalk and, later, FluxBB (they joined forces).

FluxBB was/is the fork of PunBB.

• I loved mybb for years.

• WSSWSS Member

I almost said OpenBB, but then I tried to look it up and saw that it has actually been abandoned since 2002.. so that's proof of it's ability!

Pity, because it was much less hacky and more themable than phpBB back in the day (as I seem to recall).

• There will always be lots of suggestions, and different opinions. Usually vBulletin if you are confident you can keep up the licensing payments, but forums such as xenforo are growing in popularity these days too.

My real recommendation would be to get yourself a really cheap shared hosting account (a couple of dollars) with a free subdomain, from a provider that offers software like Fantastico or Softaculous - a one-click installer. You'll get many many many different forum options on a one-click install. Install a few of them that look interesting (each install should only take a couple of seconds and is all automated). Install them into a respective folder, then visit each one, play around, and make the decision that YOU feel most comfortable with for your needs and the needs of the project. :)

• I use phpbb.

• I have been looking at xenforo and its getting better and better each time.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

phpBB or myBB

• I'm using phpBB too.. recently they release new version 3.2

• Phpbb is pretty cool, easy to understand code and has apis if u wanna extend it, and its freee

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Best free forum Software is MyBB and paid forum is XenForo

Its easy to manage MyBB Forum.

• I have used IPB since 1.* version up to 3.3.7, with release 4.* version i moved to xenforo, and right now i see only very positive benefits of using xenforo. Xenforo pretty stable, very customizable, very smart, effective, clean, with a lot of plugins for solving any needs forum software at the market. At the same time it's pretty lightweight, and pretty nice for people which using it at my boards, they like it. Only one problem - it's paid software, and plugins costly too.

What about open-source -> NodeBB looks very solid. A lot of communities like notepad++, vivaldi.net switched to NodeBB. It's very fast (ultra-fast) resource lite, and very customizable software. But it has some issues which time to time annoing.
    But if development of this forum software will continue with the same speed like now, i guess in 1-2 years i will switch all my boards from xenforo to NodeBB.

Thanked by 3Mridul fan JasperNL
  • SMF all the way

• Guys, Im in love with XenForo... Trust me, it has everything i need. Just one issue, the plugins are really pricey.

• What are these plug-ins that people talk about? Why does forum sw need plug-ins?

• MyBB. I like its interface.

Thanked by 1JasperNL
  • @WHT said:
    Only Xenforo. Do it now because one day you must migrate to xenforo when your forum grows.

$140 for one year of upgrades for a small community isn't that worth :/

• SMF if you cant afford IPB

• Xenforo

• MyBB or bbPress. Need to have a forum software open source with a proper plugin system. a find/replace mod system is not acceptable.

• I've been using MyBB for a few years and for the most part I'm happy, I say most part as I would like the ability to upload multiple attachments. Apparently MyBB 2 will be able to do so but there's no release date and it has been in discussion for a long time.

• @webbox said:
    I've been using MyBB for a few years and for the most part I'm happy, I say most part as I would like the ability to upload multiple attachments. Apparently MyBB 2 will be able to do so but there's no release date and it has been in discussion for a long time.

I hv heard that MyBB have had security issues ?

• @Mridul said:

@webbox said:
    I've been using MyBB for a few years and for the most part I'm happy, I say most part as I would like the ability to upload multiple attachments. Apparently MyBB 2 will be able to do so but there's no release date and it has been in discussion for a long time.

That applies to any software

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • Still using PhpBB for one of my forums. I hate it, but decided to keep it because of lazyness. I love MyBB as "full portal" forum and when I'm ristricted by PHP+MySQL (if I'm asked to use a certain shared webhost).

Otherwise: NodeBB (woot!)

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @Mridul said:

@webbox said:

There have been some problems but for the most part updates are released shortly after problems are found. The last update was on the eleventh of this month. I say this as a owner of a small forum, so maybe there are better choices out there for those with larger forums, although as @pcfreak30 mentions, all software can have potential problems.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • try Elkarte: http://www.elkarte.net a fork of SMF that is better IMO.