Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which 'Forum Software' do you Prefer ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which 'Forum Software' do you Prefer ?

MridulMridul Member
edited January 2017 in Help

Hi Friends,

Im planning to launch a "Startup" forum.
I just wanted your ideas over which forum software should i go with ?

Im primarily concerned with security. If you can share your experiances with specific scripts, it would be gr8.

I have been testing MyBB and its nice. Is it secure as compared to Invision ? I would not mind going for paid version as well,

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Only Xenforo. Do it now because one day you must migrate to xenforo when your forum grows.

• Xenforo all the way!

• MridulMridul Member
    edited January 2017

@K4Y5 said:
    Xenforo all the way!

@WHT said:
    Only Xenforo. Do it now because one day you must migrate to xenforo when your forum grows.

Thanx.
    Are you using it ? can u please comment over the resource usage and security features ?

• PhpBB

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

I personally would recommend SMF [Simple Machines Forum], have been using it on many projects for years, not a single security issue.

• WHTWHT Member

@Mridul said:

@K4Y5 said:
    Xenforo all the way!

@WHT said:

Thanx.
    Are you using it ? can u please comment over the resource usage and security features ?

I was using it for 3 years. Moved away from vBulletin. Really fast and was hosting it on shared hosting without any problem. With vbulletin I got hacked twice (was using not updated version as my support&updates was expired).
    Xenforo is developed by same person/team that developed vbulletin.

• Xenforo.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

Woltlab Burning Board https://www.woltlab.com/ (Hetzner use it for their community forum as well as @mpkossen for his community, for example)
    or XenForo.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I like Vanilla, lol.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Anyone who doesn't answer "Vanilla" has betrayed our community.

I used to admin IPB and found its backend...complicated. It worked fine for a basic forum but when you tried to get into pages, galleries, databases, etc. it got busy very fast.

People have complained about their Content add-on for years. I know why it's complicated - because big departments with staff of php programmers want ultimate flexibility. But for small one-man stuff for community forums, it can be overwhelming.

vpsboard runs on IPB.

I would read through the invision forums. If you really want to try it, take their hosted for a one-month spin and see what's involved.

A good resource is The Admin Zone. It's a web forum to discuss...well, web forums!

Thanked by 3Mridul Layer cassa
  • XenForo

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

I'll second SMF (Simple Machine Forum): FOSS!

Pavin.

• Discourse - FOSS

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • xenforo if paid, SMF for free...

• xenforo !

• swainswain Member
    edited January 2017

NodeBB - FOSS

Thanked by 1JasperNL
  • I used a xenforo board recently and hated it. I don't remember which one it was or what I didn't like, though. So I don't know why it's getting so many recs here. Maybe I'm confused.

IPB sucks and it's why the other VPS forum is dead now.

I always liked VBB though it's gone lame recently from what I can tell.

Discourse has its adherents. I disliked it at first and don't exactly like it now, but I've gotten more accepting of it. It sure burns resources though.

Frankly I like minimalistic software like the thing behind Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com), which is already a startup forum come to think of it.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: IPB sucks and it's why the other VPS forum is dead now.

I think it's a stretch to say that's the only reason.

But man, vpsb does seem a bit dead...even invalid https. That's disappointing...I like competition.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think discourse is the best open source forum software you will find today, personally. It's very similar to vanilla but the open source version of vanilla is an afterthought. That isn't true with discourse.

• I like flarum. But it's still beta.

• ipb or xenforo

• ipb or mybb and flarum or simplemaschines forum.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Anything but Vbulletin. Vb is dead as dodo.

Thanked by 1Cabbage
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited January 2017

WHT said: Moved away from vBulletin. With vbulletin I got hacked twice (was using not updated version as my support&updates was expired). Xenforo is developed by same person/team that developed vbulletin.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • I always say phpBB -- it has everything a forum needs without the bloat, etc,. The track record with regards to security has been good too. The only minus is the horrible default style(s), but that is easily fixed :)

• I've used several instances of SMF for years without any problems.

• flarum

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

SMF because of the easy ability to customize and integrate anything outside the forum.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @X4N1T @oneilonline @falzo @mailcheap

im goint to try SMF on your recommendations. Ae the following plugins/features available for SMF ?

• iTrader
    • badge system
    • Minimum posts to post
    • country flags

thank you for all your support and time.