Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net refusing to remove my credit card - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net refusing to remove my credit card

2»

Comments

• @pechspilz said:
    In most databases, removing means just hiding from the customer. So, what's the point anyway.

I agree. especially if any transaction already has been done they will need to keep those transactional data including the credit card number anyways for legal/tax purposes as @jvnadr already pointed out.

yet they should be able to do that in another way than in an online database which is potentially to be attacked/compromised some times, so asking to remove your data from it after ending the business relationship should be understandable.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

Open a ticket that you are going to open chargeback. Immediately they will remove your card.

Instant Solution.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited January 2017

hzr said: at least in the states in my experience, you can still continue to bill the old number

Your bank sucks and is liable in this case.

The second you call MC/VIsa or your bank enters the block order ANY transaction, ATM or online based, will immediately fail (and, by banking design as these are shadowed systems, is propagated in less than a second).

Only thing that still works is sending money to Visa cards (MC does not do this, Skrill can do it as example), which makes sense in a way.

Falzo said: they will need to keep those transactional data including the credit card number anyways for legal/tax purposes as @jvnadr already pointed out.

You do NEVER print CC numbers on invoices, tax forms or to the gov EU. Excellent way to loose both your CC processing and get sued.

The PCI compliant way, if you at all store CCs which is rare by now as nearly any merchant allows encoding server (call endpoint for this CC) or client side (send hashed CC or CC ID) for recurring transaction without storing it, is just storing it and not even display to the client is pretty surely not allowed (or at least highly discouraged).

For legal things, your merchant or bank has the actual transaction data and is the ONLY place government/legal should get it, also as your data is NEVER as solid as a banks output in court.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • conlustroconlustro Member
    edited January 2017

@netomx said:

conlustro said: No just purchased a 9 euro server 2 days ago and decided it wasn't for me.

conlustro said: I cancelled my server the same day I bought it,

Cancel doesn't mean loose or get rid of. I'm still stuck with the server for the month I paid.

• WSSWSS Member

@conlustro said:

@netomx said:

conlustro said: No just purchased a 9 euro server 2 days ago and decided it wasn't for me.

conlustro said: I cancelled my server the same day I bought it,

Cancel doesn't mean loose or get rid of. I'm still stuck with the server for the month I paid.

When I really want to lose a server, I'll setup a boot loop which loads a recovery Linux image, and dd the drive, then reboot. Of course, I have it send updates the entire time it does so..

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Open a ticket that you are going to open chargeback. Immediately they will remove your card.

Instant Solution.

Oh yeah, and ootentially ban him or her till the day he OP dies ;-). Not worth it. Making threats will get you nowhere.

Thanked by 2DewlanceVPS doghouch
  • emgemg Veteran

@conlustro said:
    If anyone has any recommendations for a good legitimate virtual credit card company I would greatly appreciate it. I found https://www.entropay.com/

If you qualify for a Bank of America credit card, then try that. The Bank of America website has a feature called "ShopSafe", which lets me create virtual credit cards any time I want. I can set the upper limit and the expiration date. It will also let me create a virtual credit card with multiple payments (e.g., monthly payments), setting the limit per payment, the max number of payments, and the expiration date. I use it for all subscription services, so that the providers can't continue to charge the same credit card indefinitely.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go

ShopSafe purchases show up on my credit card statement the same as any other transaction, and can be disputed the same as any other transaction.

The only hassle is that the website requires Flash to use it. For now, the Chrome browser includes Flash built-in, so I don't have to install Flash on my computer.

• @emg said:
    If you qualify for a Bank of America credit card, then try that. The Bank of America website has a feature called "ShopSafe", which lets me create virtual credit cards any time I want. I can set the upper limit and the expiration date. It will also let me create a virtual credit card with multiple payments (e.g., monthly payments), setting the limit per payment, the max number of payments, and the expiration date. I use it for all subscription services, so that the providers can't continue to charge the same credit card indefinitely.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go

ShopSafe purchases show up on my credit card statement the same as any other transaction, and can be disputed the same as any other transaction.

The only hassle is that the website requires Flash to use it. For now, the Chrome browser includes Flash built-in, so I don't have to install Flash on my computer.

Awesome, thanks for that.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:
    Oh yeah, and ootentially ban him or her till the day he OP dies ;-). Not worth it. Making threats will get you nowhere.

I am agree with you. You are right.

• In January 2017 online.net told me to come back at the beginning of the next month to have my card removed, it's February 2, 2017 and they told me the same thing they told me in January. I had to call my bank and have a new card issued. You have been warned.

Did you cancel your server in due time ? i don't understand what's your problem with them holding likely a hashed copy of your card if they won't charge it (and if they do you can chargeback it) ??

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited February 2017

I literally just changed my card that they had on file, by adding a new one.

So, I am quite certain you can just use a prepaid card with a couple of EUR for them to initiate a verification charge, and then remove the old card details from their system.

• @Houston_Datum said:

@racksx said:
    Go to your bank, check your last transaction with them, and ask your bank to block them for future charges.

I don't think the bank can directly block one company from charging the card he/she needs to cancel the whole card and get a new one. In any matter a lot of hosting companies don't let you delete your card information but you can replace the card with another one. I don't get why anyone besides cloud providers do that with cloud providers its because of hourly billing but anything other I'm clueless.

Try contacting them and explaining why you need your card removed or just add an old expired card to the account and move along. Usually when I subscribe to anything online I use another card from a separate bank account that I only put money in when subscriptions are due that might be worth a shot after you get this resolved.

Add an expired card, good idea

how you can add an expired card? Surely it's being verified for anti fraud purposes when you add it?

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

Nowadays I don't recommend you to use creditcards at all, even if they are PCI compliant. If you are forced to use a CC, simply get a prepaid or virtual CC.

You where probably too late cancelling your server. I think you can get your CC removed after the contract (one month).

• I use my Paypal debit card with Online.net and Scaleway and it works great.

• Solution to this create PayPal account add to online.net than make it as default and than you have option to remove credit card :) After cancel PayPal subscription with online.net

• @GalaxyHostPlus said:
    Solution to this create PayPal account add to online.net than make it as default and than you have option to remove credit card :) After cancel PayPal subscription with online.net

I assume they do not accept PayPal and only payment method is CC. Ordered server from them recently (Winter Promo) and they charged me for failover IP setup/monthly fees that already cancelled on same day of order with arrangement with their staff to test if I can order in future. It is ridiculous to be charged for something you did not use and not able to refund amount back.

@athensguy said:

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
    Solution to this create PayPal account add to online.net than make it as default and than you have option to remove credit card :) After cancel PayPal subscription with online.net

I assume they do not accept PayPal and only payment method is CC. Ordered server from them recently (Winter Promo) and they charged me for failover IP setup/monthly fees that already cancelled on same day of order with arrangement with their staff to test if I can order in future. It is ridiculous to be charged for something you did not use and not able to refund amount back.

It's called contract and it's perfectly normal in the business world. Unless they promised you before they will allow you to cancel with a full refund - that's another story.

Thanked by 1sin
  • TomTom Member
    edited February 2017

@GalaxyHostPlus said:

Heh, funny story actually. I tried this back along and magically after I cancelled the PayPal sub my card was magically back on the dashboard.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Yoda said: Heh, funny story actually. I tried this back along and magically after I cancelled the PayPal sub my card was magically back on the dashboard.

Surely there is some PCI-DSS stuff you can beat them with?

• @hawc said:

Yoda said: Heh, funny story actually. I tried this back along and magically after I cancelled the PayPal sub my card was magically back on the dashboard.

With proper records and such, yes- it may cost them dearly if they're proven to have done this, but it'd be faster and easier to just dispute it and have it blocked at the card level.

@hawc said:

You are not to store card details for longer than you need.

There is the 'how long you need' definition, and they might have it tokenized with a gateway which takes it out of scope of this rule.

• @Clouvider said:
    It's called contract and it's perfectly normal in the business world. Unless they promised you before they will allow you to cancel with a full refund - that's another story.

Once we ordered machine, I saw an alert in yellow that will not be able to do any order. As we were thinking about adding premium support and IPs in future, thought would better to check with support. The response was very simple "we fixed that and you can TRY to order" The word try is very clear here I think. Thanks God did not order additional machine :)