Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net refusing to remove my credit card
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net refusing to remove my credit card

I purchased a server from online.net and then I found the server wasn't right for me and now they're refusing to remove my credit card information from their system. Does anyone know of anything I can do about this?

Comments

• go to your banck , declare the card lost and you will recive another with other numbers.

• Can I ask why do you want that?

They won't continue charging you if you don't order anything else. I think you can trust them with this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Will they deactivate your account and remove the card in one move? Surely the options must not be:

1. Leave credit card on open account forever.
    2. None.

Surely there's a second option.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited January 2017

cociu said: go to your banck , declare the card lost and you will recive another with other numbers.

at least in the states in my experience, you can still continue to bill the old number, even if nothign matches anymore...

• Go to your bank, check your last transaction with them, and ask your bank to block them for future charges.

• @Houston_Datum, the bank did that for me, so I see now reason why it cannot be done with a different bank, I had a VPS from vultr and they always manage to charge my card even if I always added the credit via PayPal, so I asked my bank to block them for future charges, which they did, and since then, they are not able to charge me anymore.

Thanked by 1Houston_Datum
  • WHTWHT Member

Never use creditcard on the internet. Its up to time when you will get ripped

• They won't terminate the server or remove card. The answers they give are as if something else is controlling their system and they can't do anything about it. They give strange answers like "We don't terminate servers until the end of the month". I'M NOT EVEN ASKING FOR A REFUND! I just want my card removed and they refuse. It's very strange. I hope someone who is thinking about purchasing from them reads this as a warning.

• I also have a scaleway account with no problems at all, and online.net's fraud protections is so high that they probably loose a lot of business, what's the point?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I assume they refuse it as you might be already after the cancellation timeframe and potentially looking to avoid paying the renewal according to the contract - would it be a fair assumption ?

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Maybe you're only able to remove the card when the server is offline/expired? I wouldn't ask your bank for a new card, my bank charges about 10 euro for a new card.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited January 2017

@vfuse said:
    Maybe you're only able to remove the card when the server is offline/expired? I wouldn't ask your bank for a new card, my bank charges about 10 euro for a new card.

Nope online still don't let you remove your card even when you got no active services the reasoning I got when I asked was due to legal reasons not sure what's that about.

I don't care anymore the card online got on file for me I cancelled months back.

• In general, if the option is available to you, it is better to use a virtual credit card # for internet transactions. You control the amount and expiration date on a unique card # that is not the one on the physical card, and you can cancel the number at any time.

I am not advocating this for fraud purposes, but instead to prevent theft/unauthorized transactions.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2017

@Razza said:

@vfuse said:

Nope online still don't let you remove your card even when you got no active services the reasoning I got when I asked was due to legal reasons not sure what's that about.

I don't care anymore the card online got on file for me I cancelled months back.

Legal reasons?

There is no such law as far as i know.

Internal company policies are no law.

They might sometimes comply with the law but are no law or constitution.

There is nothing illegal in breaking exclusively internal company policies.

Bad for business - sure, illegal - no.

• Got a prepaid/gift card with less than $1 on it?

• 8QE8QE Member

Just add new one with $1 prepaid card, then old one will be removed.

• conlustro said: They give strange answers like "We don't terminate servers until the end of the month"

They probably do have an automated system for removing servers, on due date. So, shut down the server and wait till the date that it will be terminated and removed from the syste (be carefull, they want you to cancel the service until a specific date, or else, they will charge you for the next month).
    When the remaining service terminates, then, ask them to entirely close your account. IMO, they cannot refuse to close the account for avoiding future use. Ask them to remove all billing information for the closed account (although they can still keep billing information as cards etc. for tax and legal archiving purposes).

• conlustro said: conlustro

Order a Virtual Card with few balance, add, confirm, than remove old one from system, that simple. Use PayPal next time :)

• @hzr said:
    at least in the states in my experience, you can still continue to bill the old number, even if nothign matches anymore...

In the US, once a card is cancelled, it's cancelled. Nothing else can be charged to it, regardless of previous charge history. If you can charge a card, it hasn't been truly cancelled.

• @Clouvider said:
    I assume they refuse it as you might be already after the cancellation timeframe and potentially looking to avoid paying the renewal according to the contract - would it be a fair assumption ?

No just purchased a 9 euro server 2 days ago and decided it wasn't for me.

• @Razza said:

@vfuse said:

Crazy that you would have to get a new card to get it off online.net.

• @geekalot said:
    In general, if the option is available to you, it is better to use a virtual credit card # for internet transactions. You control the amount and expiration date on a unique card # that is not the one on the physical card, and you can cancel the number at any time.

I am not advocating this for fraud purposes, but instead to prevent theft/unauthorized transactions.

I'll look into it from now on.

• If anyone has any recommendations for a good legitimate virtual credit card company I would greatly appreciate it. I found https://www.entropay.com/

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Don't renew a server and after period of time (depends on a company) your account will be scheduled for deactivation - it's a normal business practice. If they do charge for no reason you do have right to file unauthorised transaction chargeback via bank/credit card provider.

Thanked by 2yomero ad0
  • WSSWSS Member

They may not be PCI compliant. You could always suggest your information may not be safely stored.

Also, that used to be my job and I hate you if you try this shit because of sour grapes. :D

• @conlustro said:

@Clouvider said:

No just purchased a 9 euro server 2 days ago and decided it wasn't for me.

did you understand that you need to actively cancel your server until 20th (if i remember correctly) to avoid being charged for the next month? if not I'll suggest doing so very quickly...

as others said, you most probably just need to wait before the billing period is over, every service is terminated and then ask for closing/removing the account.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I cancelled my server the same day I bought it, I only needed a few hours with it to determine it wasn't for me.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

conlustro said: No just purchased a 9 euro server 2 days ago and decided it wasn't for me.

conlustro said: I cancelled my server the same day I bought it,

• @conlustro said:
    I cancelled my server the same day I bought it, I only needed a few hours with it to determine it wasn't for me.

okay then I'd wait for the service being finally terminated next month and after that ask them to fully close/remove my account.

as others said, they most probably are not going to keep an open account without an active payment method and the account will remain active as long as there are paid services running on it... simply be back to this in around 30 days.

• In most databases, removing means just hiding from the customer. So, what's the point anyway.