Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone managed to install openvpn on Quadhost NAT vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone managed to install openvpn on Quadhost NAT vps?

I followed this method
https://quadhost.net/account/knowledgebase/6/Install-OpenVPN-on-a-NAT-Server.html

I can connect but there is no internet. I can't browse web, can't ping any server, can't do anything.

Is there any additional thing I need to do?

Comments

• Sounds like someone didn't setup their iptables correctly...

• @Cyph3r said:
    Sounds like someone didn't setup their iptables correctly...

where can we find the someone? :P

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @nagug said:

@Cyph3r said:

where can we find the someone? :P

That someone is @psycholyzern

• I did setup OpenVPN in QuadHost and it's working fine. The knowledgebase instructions are clear and helpful. Make sure you use CentOS. I faced problems with Ubuntu distro.

Thanked by 1i83
  • When you say you can't 'ping any server' - have you tried both IP addresses and host names to rule out a problem with name resolution?

• I did...with nyr's script. It was working fine for a few weeks. Then it won't accept connections anymore. I found tun0 was disabled within the vps(enabled in the cp). Contacted support and they say it's enabled. But it's still not functioning. So yeah, I can't seem to use openvpn on i-83 either. I'm running debian.

• @chinmoy said:
    I did...with nyr's script. It was working fine for a few weeks. Then it won't accept connections anymore. I found tun0 was disabled within the vps(enabled in the cp). Contacted support and they say it's enabled. But it's still not functioning. So yeah, I can't seem to use openvpn on i-83 either. I'm running debian.

They say it's enabled but you can show that it's not?

• @chinmoy said:
    I found tun0 was disabled within the vps

How do you find the tun device is disabled ? is it missing from /dev/net ?

I can confirm that one customer (me) can still use OpenVPN (Debian 8) on an i-83 container (FLK), doesn't help directly with your or OP's problem, but shows it's still possible and working,

Might be worth disabling tun/tap in the CP, reboot, then re-enable tun/tap and reboot again (both reboots from the CP not the container) in case things have gotten confused.

• I am using OpenVPN in i83 NAT VPS. I can confirm, it works fine.

Thanked by 1i83
  • Works fine on Debian

Thanked by 1i83
  • Yup used nyr installer

Thanked by 1i83
  • i used nyr installer

Thanked by 1i83
  • @Cyph3r said:

That installer script isnt mine. So you are saying that I need to put my own rules after I ran the script?

• @MrKaruppu said:
    I did setup OpenVPN in QuadHost and it's working fine. The knowledgebase instructions are clear and helpful. Make sure you use CentOS. I faced problems with Ubuntu distro.

I am using debian 8. What problem did you have?

• @Nekki said:
    When you say you can't 'ping any server' - have you tried both IP addresses and host names to rule out a problem with name resolution?

Nyr installer script made a config with sever's ip, so I guess, yeah..

• For those who successfully ran it, what distro do/did you guys have ? I am using minimal Debian 8.
    I dont know if that is the cause tho.

• Without looking at the VPS it's hard to say exactly what is wrong.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2017

Im also running OpenVPN perfectly fine on QuadHosts NAT vps :)
    Got CentOS

Thanked by 1i83
  • Got it running with Nyr's script on one of their NAT VPS. Works perfectly.

Thanked by 1i83
  • I use this provider with OpenVPN with upgraded Nyr's installer from here: https://github.com/pl48415/openvpn-install-advanced

• @psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:
    When you say you can't 'ping any server' - have you tried both IP addresses and host names to rule out a problem with name resolution?

Not what I asked.

Have you tried to ping an IP address with the VPN connected to see if it resolves. This will rule in/out an issue with name resolution.

Thanked by 1i83
  • layfonlayfon Member
    edited January 2017

I just installed openvpn using nyr's script on i-83 vps with newly installed centos7.

At first, I can't reach any host except server itself(10.8.0.1)

After traceroute, I determined that outgoing packets stopped at server. Then I checked iptables: the only rule under nat table, postrouting chain. It was doing snat to server's shared public ip address. After changing it to server's private ip address, it worked. Maybe you can try it out.

Thanked by 1i83
  • @Nekki said:

@psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

Not what I asked.

Have you tried to ping an IP address with the VPN connected to see if it resolves. This will rule in/out an issue with name resolution.

I already said about this in OP. I cant ping any server. I have tried pinging several of my servers and domains including Google's

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited January 2017

@Nekki said:

@psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

Not what I asked.

I already said about this in OP. I cant ping any server. I have tried pinging several of my servers and domains including Google's. Specifically, got timed out.

• @psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

@psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

Not what I asked.

I already said about this in OP. I cant ping any server. I have tried pinging several of my servers and domains including Google's. Specifically, got timed out.

You didn't specify whether you used a hostname or an IP to ping them, hence why I asked the question.

Thanked by 1i83
  • Hello, IT!
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Reinstall with CentOS and trz angristan script which is an advanced fork of nyrs :)
    Furthermore make sure to FIRST enter the Public IPv4 adress during setup as it will ask for the nat ip later^^

Thanked by 1i83
  • WSSWSS Member

Works fine for me with Debian 8. I had to manually upgrade unbound, because the non-backports version was broken, but I didn't even have to write any code..

• @Nekki said:

@psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

@psycholyzern said:

@Nekki said:

Not what I asked.

You didn't specify whether you used a hostname or an IP to ping them, hence why I asked the question.

Sorry for that. When I said my server, I meant their IPs.

• @Ympker said:
    Hello, IT!
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Reinstall with CentOS and trz angristan script which is an advanced fork of nyrs :)
    Furthermore make sure to FIRST enter the Public IPv4 adress during setup as it will ask for the nat ip later^^

I am sure I did it right. Im not having any free time for now to redo the installation on another distro, but I will later.