Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you allow TOR bridge nodes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you allow TOR bridge nodes?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited May 2013 in General

^

Do you allow them, or not?

I do not allow exit nodes! Any others are allowed at the moment

Comments

• DamienSBDamienSB Member
    edited May 2013

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

It was a proper question.

• @DamienSB I think you broke everything, like the entire internet.
    OT: We allow TOR stuff but not exit nodes.

@Brightbull said: OT: We allow TOR stuff but not exit nodes.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Same as Brightbull. As long as it doesn't become abusive and is not an exit node.

• @DamienSB said: -[](> [I am really sorry, but for some reason the editor isnt letting me enter anything but a URL ina java popup box. ](I am really sorry, but for some reason the editor isnt letting me enter anything but a URL ina java popup box. ))-

http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript_is_not_Java

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yes, Relay is zero risk, Bridge is minimal risk (Botnet controls, you get the abuse as the bot connects to your IP, this is rare however), Exit is high risk.

Bridge is somewhere between entry and middle.

• Are there any good legal reasons to allow TOR on your network?

@DamienSB said: Are there any good legal reasons to allow TOR on your network?

I was just seeing what other providers do; as I've got somebody who would like to run a TOR bridge node.

• @dominicl said: I was just seeing what other providers do; as I've got somebody who would like to run a TOR bridge node.

I know, im asking everyone in the thread, not just you.

From what i can see, it doesn't seem that there can be any good that comes from TOR in your network - only problems. So why allow anything to do with it?

• @DamienSB said: From what i can see, it doesn't seem that there can be any good that comes from TOR in your network - only problems. So why allow anything to do with it?

To let 1 legitimate person use it and 9 people abuse it to make you feel warm and fuzzy

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Are there any not to? You don't seem to realize the first thing about Tor, or about the OP's question - that is, the difference between bridge(relay) and exit nodes. The former carry zero risk, legal or otherwise. Even the "botnet connection" that @William mentioned seems to be kinda low-probability and far-fetched. And regarding the latter, exit nodes can indeed get you in trouble and you should run or allow them only if you understand possible consequences and prepared to deal with them. But no one reasonable will ask a LEB provider to simply allow Tor Exits, so don't throw this all into the same pile and call the whole question "why allow Tor".

• nutjobnutjob Member

There are only legal reasons to disallow it, how can there be a legal reason to allow it? Is TOR a human or constitutional right?

The reasons to allow it are all commercial: ie, it might attract customers.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2013

Gosh. I wonder if the stated purpose of the TOR project could be one.

EDIT: And really, legal reasons? Is legality of TOR purposes now more important than morality?

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 - Right on cue.

• well Mr. @dominicl you do that and soon youll be here asking for free donations to pay liar to keep you out of jail. read about some other guy that did it in europe and he was balbusted by the cops.

edited May 2013

He ran a TOR exit node. Most hosts allow bridge nodes from my research.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@DraterTel said: read about some other guy that did it in europe and he was balbusted by the cops.

That would be me likely (we "Tor exit raiders" (would sound good on a shirt) are a very exclusive group of probably 10 people in Europe :p).

However, as said before:

Entry - Minimal risk, mainly botnet connections
    --> Minimal Abuse, if any at all, can be ignored or replied with default Tor template, no legal issues to be expected.

Bridge - Minimal risk, mainly botnet connections
    --> Lower abuse than Entry as Bridges are usually 'secret' and less used, for Bridges it mainly matters that there are enough IP blocks available to circumvent IP bans in some countries.

Relay - Zero risk
    --> No risk, relays only internal data

Exit - High risk
    --> Take a guess, exit, even if closed down by ports, are high risk and should be only provided after a legal check in your country, the hosting country and always under a company/non-profit.

That should get you some overview of what you CAN allow (exit, entry, bridge) and what many (including me) will simply do regardless if you allow it or not (relay).

@William said: Bridge - Minimal risk, mainly botnet connections

I do currently host one of these, so will see how it goes.

• @DamienSB: "From what i can see, it doesn't seem that there can be any good that comes from TOR in your network - only problems."

You could say that about any networking in a VPS. Why allow web servers when they get hacked so often?

Why not be really, really safe and restrict VPS access to serial console?

• @swsnyder said: You could say that about any networking in a VPS. Why allow web servers when they get hacked so often?

Because TOR is only used for things that are not legal, where as web servers are widely used for legal reasons.

Why do you need to hide your actions if you aren't breaking a law?

• @swsnyder said: Why allow web servers when they get hacked so often?

Start shooting the folks who get pwned (many members on here is a good start) by script kiddies and evolve the VPS market

• I don't exalt law above all else. Any behavior can be prohibited, or coerced, by legislation.

I realize that am fortunate to have been born in a time and place where I can read and write what I want. I want to help those who do not have that good luck, and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I risk only a few dollars, to help those who risk imprisonment.

If some Mullah or Party Boss sought to restrict my reading/writing I hope that I would have the guts to resist those restrictions, and that there would be people who would help me.

• SyedSyed Member

@DamienSB said: Because TOR is only used for things that are not legal, where as web servers are widely used for legal reasons.

Congratulations, you're the first provider on my list of providers that I'd never buy from.

You seriously don't see anything wrong with what you just said? If I put a camera in every room of your house, and let's say you wanted some privacy to have sex, or take a shit, etc. So you put some sort of curtain to hide you from the camera, someone should say "Why do you need to hide your actions if you aren't breaking a law?" to you?

Jeez. No wonder privacy is dying.

• @Syed said: Congratulations, you're the first provider on my list of providers that I'd never buy from.

Congrats, you just make it so much easier dealing with the general public

@Syed said: You seriously don't see anything wrong with what you just said?

Ever ran a hosting company or are you one of these self-proclaimed experts on the issue?

@Syed said: If I put a camera in every room of your house, and let's say you wanted some privacy to have sex, or take a shit, etc. So you put some sort of curtain to hide you from the camera, someone should say "Why do you need to hide your actions if you aren't breaking a law?" to you?

A poor example. Try again.

@Syed said: Jeez. No wonder privacy is dying.

Yeah clueless folks like you who will look at a hosting provider, see Tor is allowed and go YIPPIEEEEEE THIS COMPANY MEETS MY CHECKLIST CRITERIA!!!! then all the sudden, bam. Servers go down because of a law enforcement request/court order.

Core Space: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/sites-rebuild-after-f-b-i-raid-on-data-center/
    http://gawker.com/5814283/fbi-raid-takes-down-mess-of-websites

Note: THE ACTIONS OF ONE CUSTOMER CAUSED THIS RAID.

Core IP Networks: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/04/company-caught/

• SyedSyed Member
    edited May 2013

@doughmanes said: Yeah clueless folks like you who will look at a hosting provider, see Tor is allowed and go YIPPIEEEEEE THIS COMPANY MEETS MY CHECKLIST CRITERIA!!!! then all the sudden, bam. Servers go down because of a law enforcement request/court order.

I don't use Tor nor do I host any Tor nodes. Nobody is asking him to run any thing. Hell, I don't even mind if he doesn't allow any type of Tor node. It doesn't affect me. Try again, buddy.

It's the absolutely stupid thing he said at the end that really rustled my jimbobs. EDIT: Actually it's his whole post, implying everybody who uses Tor is doing something illegal, the absolute stupidity of that idea, and how somebody can be so wilfully ignorant.

@DamienSB said: Because TOR is only used for things that are not legal, where as web servers are widely used for legal reasons.

• @Syed said: It's the absolutely stupid thing he said at the end that really rustled my jimbobs. EDIT: Actually it's his whole post, implying everybody who uses Tor is doing something illegal, the absolute stupidity of that idea, and how somebody can be so wilfully ignorant.

..... and you skimmed over 3 links where DC raids affected customers.

He is a provider. He speaks from a provider's perspective. Ask @William how going to jail for Tor feels.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@doughmanes said: how going to jail

He didn't go to jail afaik. ;p
    Do ask him how being raid'd feels, not nice.

@Infinity said: Do ask him how being raid'd feels, not nice.

He was running an exit node afaik :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@dominicl said: He was running an exit node afaik :P

Yes I am aware, twat. ;p

I was responding to @doughmanes's post.