Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datto Drive 1TB owncloud free for 1 year
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datto Drive 1TB owncloud free for 1 year

I ran through some searches on and didn't see anything about this. Datto launched this last year you get 1TB of Owncloud storage for free for a year. After the one year period MSRP is $10/month.

https://dattodrive.com/

They have plans that let you have custom themes and domains but pricing is not published.

Thanked by 2mtsbatalha ewrek

Comments

• They have been offering this for at least 1 year. I came across this offer in early 2016 so it's probably not a temporary promo

• Sounds quite adventurous.
    They must have a pretty high budget to keep that promo up and even a very high confidence in their conversion rate!

• They must have a pretty high budget to keep that promo up

Meh, maybe almost nobody uses the full TB.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • Their goal is to upsale you with more features and larger storage after 1 year.

• Give my 1TB of data to NSA, no thanks!

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @asterisk14 all it will show is all the github student pack sales you have - what u paranoid about?

• Seems NSA sponsoring :P

• Did anyone tested by uploading 1 tb of.linux isos?

• @asterisk14 said:
    Give my 1TB of data to NSA, no thanks!

Why is it necessarily the NSA? I guarantee you the FSB is doing more surveillance B.S. like this but everybody just picks on the U.S. intelligence community.

• They stop this action if they reach 1 exabyte of date. http://www.datto.com/blog/Datto-Launches-Datto-Drive

Thanked by 1Bochi
  • jiggawattz said: I guarantee you the FSB is doing more surveillance

You're wrong. They extended to fight with real crime, they not seeking unsuspected copyright folks

• Sponsored by National Security Agency.

• Under declaration of United Nations ;)

• It's $10/month for 1TB after the year is up. That's ok pricing but not great.

• @jiggawattz said:

@asterisk14 said:

Why is it necessarily the NSA? I guarantee you the FSB is doing more surveillance B.S. like this but everybody just picks on the U.S. intelligence community.

The USA GDP is 15 times bigger than Russia's and if you consider the accumulated capital of half a century, it's pretty obvious that there's no one who can outspend the US intelligence operations.

• Yeah, stay far away from things like this until Owncloud finally implements end-to-end encryption (if they ever do...).

• @dennisschwartz said:
    until Owncloud finally implements end-to-end encryption (if they ever do...).

Isn't going to happen ;)

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited January 2017

@jenkki said: You're wrong. They extended to fight with real crime, they not seeking unsuspected copyright folks

Copyright theft is real crime (though the NSA doesn't do anything about it.) Millions are employed in the U.S. entertainment business, and they do work that needs to be compensated. An economy depends on that.

But many countries (e.g. Russia) don't really have that high-functioning, complex kind of economy that would support a large entertainment business, and thus their citizens don't respect copyright principles and their government doesn't enforce it. Usually these countries are full of drunk mama's boys who live in their parents' flat except when they do some military service.

deadbeef said: The USA GDP is 15 times bigger than Russia's and if you consider the accumulated capital of half a century, it's pretty obvious that there's no one who can outspend the US intelligence operations.

That doesn't mean anything. North Korea's economy is puny, but they still have enough resources to put toward nuclear research.

You mustn't spend a lot to conduct surveillance. I bet a lot of these Russian intelligence agencies are receiving operational income from malware ransoms, etc, so it could be a cost neutral operation in the classified part of the State budget. Evegeniy Bogachev is FSB and he most certainly brought in millions.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Reminds me of STACK (transip), only STACK is 1tb free forever.

• @jiggawattz said:
    Copyright theft is real crime (though the NSA doesn't do anything about it.) Millions are employed in the U.S. entertainment business, and they do work that needs to be compensated. An economy depends on that.

To be honest, I think enforcing copyright would work out for the best for everyone. Hollywood would stop pestering people, and the rest of the world would have much less access to ADHD-inducing, work sabotaging content :D

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited January 2017

@jiggawattz said:

deadbeef said: The USA GDP is 15 times bigger than Russia's and if you consider the accumulated capital of half a century, it's pretty obvious that there's no one who can outspend the US intelligence operations.

That doesn't mean anything. North Korea's economy is puny, but they still have enough resources to put toward nuclear research.

You just failed to address my point and instead "answered" a different one just to not show ignorance. That's so common it even has a name. Unless your original point was that NK's research is close to US's - which I suspect even you will say that it's not close by any chance.

You mustn't spend a lot to conduct surveillance. I bet a lot of these Russian intelligence agencies are receiving operational income from malware ransoms, etc, so it could be a cost neutral operation in the classified part of the State budget. Evegeniy Bogachev is FSB and he most certainly brought in millions.

Yes, you must spend a shit ton of money lot to conduct mass surveillance. That's why there are two kinds of it: The one the US does and the kid stuff everyone else pretends to do.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
    edited January 2017

@deadbeef You are basically insinuating that countries with larger GDPs automatically do more intelligence gathering, and essentially that countries with a larger GDP can get more. The latter is somewhat true (though that's a quantity v. quality debate) - but my original point was that the NSA is not the only guy in the room. You never contradicted that. Datto Drive could just as easily be a small, targeted FSB operation as it could be an expensive, mass surveillance NSA operation. And both could be equally efficacious despite their costs. (Remember: the most talented minds in SU were funneled into KGB/intelligence, whereas in the U.S. talented minds most often chose to do private business and earn more $$.)

Вопрос: Why are the initials NSA brought up on Internet forums more often than FSB? Could it be because the NSA is feckless, whereas the FSB is scary and could probably track anyone down and kill them?

Your GDP logic certainly doesn't apply to military result accomplished by military spending (look at US in Vietnam or SU in Afghanistan, but that's a TL;DW)

I realize you probably studied hard for your economics degree and ended up in a low end job like sysadmin/devops that doesn't require it, but there's still no excuse for personal attacks here @deadbeef. Let's all be cordial here.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jiggawattz said:
    @deadbeef You are basically insinuating that countries with larger GDPs are "more able" to undertake intelligence gathering, and essentially that countries that can spend more can get more.

I am not insinuating, I am clearly saying so. Mass espionage is a mass money game. The more, the better.

The latter is somewhat true - but my original point was that the NSA is not the only guy in the room. You never contradicted that.

I didn't and I won't, because I never said so. Duh.

The obvious point is that there is no country with the capacity for mass surveillance to match that of the US. Simply because the US can vastly outspend any competitor. Therefore, no one else matters in the grand scheme of things.

Your GDP logic certainly doesn't apply to military result accomplished by military spending (but that's a TL;DW)

You probably came to that conclusion because the vast outspending the US does for its army has resulted in said army not being by far the best in the world ... oh wait.

I realize you probably studied hard for your economics degree and ended up in a low end job like sysadmin/devops that doesn't require it, but there's still no excuse for personal attacks here @deadbeef. Let's all be cordial here.

I won't post my numbers on a public forum, but for our purposes, it's enough to say that I'm easily in the top 1% in the employee income scale in my country. Not too shabby, for an initial goal achieved, I'd wager to say.

edited January 2017

@deadbeef The US and SU both had a much larger GDP than Vietnam and Afghanistan, respectively. The larger GDP power lost in both of those wars. (And the Soviet Union was spending 25% of its GDP on military when it dissolved!)

And China has the largest GDP in the world now anyways. So by your logic, we should really be automatically blaming China's intelligence services (whatever they are called) instead of the NSA because they have a larger economy behind its operations. Right?

• @jiggawattz said:
    @deadbeef The US and SU both had a much larger GDP than Vietnam and Afghanistan, respectively. The larger GDP power lost in both of those wars.

The US military didn't lose a single non-trivial battle in Vietnam. Same in Afghanistan. The outcome was political, not scoped in military action.

(And the Soviet Union was spending 25% of its GDP on military when it dissolved!)

The Soviet Union's GDP is calculated to have been at the time around 5% of the US one. Which means that their spending was the equivalent of the US spending ... 1.25% of their GDP on the military. In reality, the US was spending around 4% of its GDP at the time, i.e. ~2.5 times more than the "omg I'm pushing my economy to death to build tanks" Soviets, without breaking a sweat.

And China has the largest GDP in the world now anyways.

No, just in PPP. In nominal terms, it's something like 1.7 times smaller. PPP makes no sense here because world-scale espionage isn't a good that has much to do with the relative cost of living, for which PPP accounts for.

So by your logic, we should really be automatically blaming China's intelligence services (whatever they are called) instead of the NSA because they have a larger economy behind its operations. Right?

No, because there's that little thing called capital accumulation. In simple terms, suppose two people that both make $150k per year, but the first one has been doing so for 20 years while the other one for 2. Clearly, they are not equally wealthy, despite having an equal income. Which means that as China becomes richer (assuming the trend holds), they will eventually in the distant future be able to compete.

edited January 2017

deadbeef said: The US military didn't lose a single non-trivial battle in Vietnam. Same in Afghanistan. The outcome was political, not scoped in military action.

But both the US and SU ultimately lost those wars. Yes - both countries could have easily spent and produced enough toxic gas to wipe out all Vietnamese and Afghani people. And they indeed lost because of politics. But why doesn't politics apply to intelligence gathering?

One leak eventually shut down an entire NSA program with no regard for the sunk costs. The politics in Russia does not favor this kind of scrutiny of its government's activities. Putin wrested ownership of Russia's Facebook (VKontakte) out of its founder's hands and gave it to allies. VKontakte's data is certainly available - completely unfettered - to the FSB whereas the same is not true for the NSA and Facebook.

No, just in PPP. In nominal terms, it's something like 1.7 times smaller. PPP makes no sense here because world-scale espionage isn't a good that has much to do with the relative cost of living, for which PPP accounts for.

I don't agree. The NSA certainly has some fancy shit and some expensive satellites to collect signals. But the intelligence gathering that recently riled up the Democratic party could have easily been done on a budget. Podesta's inbox was dumped with a simple phishing scheme conducted via the Internet. That project probably cost little more than the local salaries of 1 linguistic university graduate + 1 radioelectric university graduate (+ the LEB that hosted google.com.changeyourpasswordnow.tk ) and maybe some higher up bureaucracy. PPP does make sense here.

No, because there's that little thing called capital accumulation. In simple terms, suppose two people that both make $150k per year, but the first one has been doing so for 20 years while the other one for 2. Clearly, they are not equally wealthy, despite having an equal income. Which means that as China becomes richer (assuming the trend holds), they will eventually in the distant future be able to compete.

And is there not such a thing as capital depreciation?!? Are you suggesting that the NSA's $8000 computers from 20 years ago is still 10 times more efficacious in intelligence gathering than China's modern $800 computers? Or that the NSA's signal collecting shit from 20 years ago still works?

One interesting difference between the U.S. and Russia, aside from its asymmetry in GDP, is where its talented minds have gone:

In the Soviet Union, the talented minds were tapped and funneled into training for the KGB and other intelligence services. Today those former agents are its leaders: Putin was KGB and Igor Sechin is rumoured to have been from military intelligence. Corporate Russia is full of those kinds of guys too.

In the U.S., they have generally gone into the private sector.

• @jiggawattz said:

deadbeef said: The US military didn't lose a single non-trivial battle in Vietnam. Same in Afghanistan. The outcome was political, not scoped in military action.

But both the US and SU ultimately lost those wars. Yes - both countries could have easily spent and produced enough toxic gas to wipe out all Vietnamese and Afghani people. And they indeed lost because of politics. But why doesn't politics apply to intelligence gathering?

Vietnam war protests: Massive.

NSA mass espionage protests: Crickets.

One leak eventually shut down an entire NSA program with no regard for the sunk costs.

The only thing stopped is phone meta-data gathering inside the US. I assume you agree that's next to nothing.

The politics in Russia does not favor this kind of scrutiny of its government's activities. Putin wrested ownership of Russia's Facebook (VKontakte) out of its founder's hands and gave it to allies. VKontakte's data is certainly available - completely unfettered - to the FSB whereas the same is not true for the NSA and Facebook.

Wish alone doesn't make one the big dog in this game. Money, money, money and money.

I don't agree. The NSA certainly has some fancy shit and some expensive satellites to collect signals. But the intelligence gathering that recently riled up the Democratic party could have easily been done on a budget. Podesta's inbox was dumped with a simple phishing scheme conducted via the Internet. That project probably cost little more than the local salaries of 1 linguistic university graduate + 1 radioelectric university graduate (+ the LEB that hosted google.com.changeyourpasswordnow.tk ) and maybe some higher up bureaucracy. PPP does make sense here.

We were talking about the massive costs of top dog mass surveillance and now you're telling me about how spear-phishing is cheap as f*ck.

And is there not such a thing as capital depreciation?!? Are you suggesting that the NSA's $8000 computers from 20 years ago is still 10 times more efficacious in intelligence gathering than China's $800 computers? Or that the NSA's signal collecting shit from 20 years ago still works?

You missed it entirely. I'll make it easier for you - think of capital accumulation as "more money in the bank with which I can buy stuff". More money, more stuff to buy, more old stuff to throw away sooner to replace with the latest most amazing tools.

• Let's stop this kind of NSA thing. Lol.

Thanked by 1dennisschwartz
  • @jiggawattz said:

@asterisk14 said:

We pick on the NSA because of how bad they are. They're a useless agency - and they're the ones who get hacked along with the government website once or twice a year.

• Hmm.. a place to finally stash my stuff I don't want anyone finding on my computer for FREE!