Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vortexnode.com review? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vortexnode.com review?

Comments

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2017

That VNDX811 , is gone? @VortexMagnus

• @Hxxx said:
    That VNDX811 , is gone? @VortexMagnus

'Out of Stock'

Yep.

• @VortexMagnus said:

@Hxxx said:
    Everything in the USA is enzu? Not that is a bad thing. Just asking.

@VortexMagnus said:

@Hxxx said:
    E3s, link to offers?

http://www.vortexnode.com/superdeals is your place :)

Nope, the test IP's on our site are being updated.

We use a mixture of ColoCrossing and Colo@ depending on US location.

Atlanta is colo@ right?

• @inthecloudblog said:

@VortexMagnus said:

@Hxxx said:
    Everything in the USA is enzu? Not that is a bad thing. Just asking.

@VortexMagnus said:

@Hxxx said:
    E3s, link to offers?

http://www.vortexnode.com/superdeals is your place :)

Nope, the test IP's on our site are being updated.

We use a mixture of ColoCrossing and Colo@ depending on US location.

Atlanta is colo@ right?

Most definitely, yes.

• Sounds more like your racist then allergic.

@Hxxx said:
    @vortexmagnus Is your support from India by any chance? I'm allergic. Be honest.

Thanked by 2sb56637 jvnadr
  • johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited January 2017

I have the ATOM Dual Core 60 bucks deal from a few days and my opinion is "meeeeh". Please read until the end, its not a 100% negative review, just my experience.

1) Setup. A few hours to wait the "new baby" (great) but problems arise fast. Login and password dont works. I try to reset them according docs. No way, i have to contact support team to give me a custom login/pwd otherwise its impossible to connect to customer portal. Not a great problem but booring.

2) I do after 2 days the login ivebought the Server away from home). I change sshd_config (normal routine) and i reboot the server. O myyy god. Server is stuck.. Unresponsive. I feel sad :(

3) I contact support. Where ? They have 2 sites. One where i did the order (Vortexnode)and linovus.hosting where i have the server. I did the support request on both sites, support was on Vortexnode (no docs where i have to ask support, i was a bit confused)

4) 2h/3h to wait a normal escalation to Tier 2 (not a problem, server is "vanilla", i didnt have the chance to do something). After that they propose me an IPMI connection (still no docs) to check the server but was useless. If server is ko only for a reboot... it means its not a standard problem... The nightmare became reality. I try to connect and i cannot digit anything. distorted characters, only a few options for ctrl + alt + del :( Ofc i reply trough ticket that i cannot do anything from my side..

5) Other 2h to wait a reply and finally support accept to reinstall the OS. 7 hours later "Remote Login Fail - Timeout ?" is still in progress :( They need more than 7h to install the OS ??? Really ?? :)

This is my experience and i will keep you updated next months (I am optimistic. I'm almost sure ive found a honest alternative to D.O.). They are "young". Sh** happens (i think i was unlucky 100%) and they deserve for sure your attention because support exists, deals are nice and they give you what they promise trying to help you as much as they can. But, right now, my opinion is that they are a bit "messed up" (maybe because they are merging 2 firms ? i dont know). Anyway problem solved, server again online and working 100%.

Some thoughts for VortexNode >
    1) If you do a reinstall and client is waiting from a lot of time to have the server again working, try to give an update communicating "what's happening" ? Remember, people are happy even if you say only "server crashed, our apologies, we're trying our best to replace some items and to give you back your baby asap".
    2) Please put more documentation online. More docs you have, less time people contact you. Its a win-win.
    3) If someone need IPMI put some DOCS like https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/log-ipmiview. Its cool a procedure (in the future?) to acquire credentials without contacting you, if possible. Its a win-win

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited January 2017

Certainly nothing messed up in our support. Your welcome e-mail states that you should use the UKS portal for server management and direct all support queries through the VN client area.

I see we picked up your ticket within 20 minutes of submission, KVMoIP was connected an hour later and when it was requested for an OS reinstall, it was queued to a Tier 2 Technician. We were a Level1 tech down yesterday due to illness, so we had our top boss assisting the tech team, which explains the lack of 'updates' between events. Unfortunately, our paid managed clients or those with Tier 2 Support subscriptions take priority for our senior engineers.

The Atom's don't have on-board IPMI, so we had to get a remote tech to connect KVMoIP for your server as you'd locked out of SSH.

There is simply nothing more that could have been said other than 'This is still in progress'. We aren't SoftLayer and at $5/month, the Atoms are strictly unmanaged, so there is no comparison to be made there really. Although I'm sure there's many on here who can attest to receiving a service well beyond that of unmanaged :)

Our automated OS install system is out of action in the UK at the moment and we're having to carry out manual installs, which is taking a little longer than just pressing a button. But we hope to have the automated installs and other controls integrated in to the client area by month end.

Thank you.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated. I understand perfectly what you said.
    Anyway you have proved, with your reply to be genuine people, honest and trustworthy (
    what i search in a a hosting provider).

Hats Off and Good Work :)

VortexMagnus said: There is simply nothing more that could have been said other than 'This is still in progress'. We aren't SoftLayer and at $5/month, the Atoms are strictly unmanaged, so there is no comparison to be made there really. Although I'm sure there's many on here who can attest to receiving a service well beyond that of unmanaged :) Our automated OS install system is out of action in the UK at the moment and we're having to carry out manual installs, which is taking a little longer than just pressing a button. But we hope to have the automated installs and other controls integrated in to the client area by month end.

• Have a VPS with them in NJ (Weehawken Colo@), and a shared hosting with them in Toronto.

Support is solid - they really know what they are doing. Added ISO to VPS, as well as PHP modules to shared hosting without issues.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited January 2017

@johnnymatt said:

In other words,

a) you fucked up your server and locked yourself out

b) you didn't know how to use KVMoIP

c) they manually reinstalled the OS for you within 7h

d) all this on a LE host for a $5/month product

... and you come here complaining!

Have you always been that stupid or has it been a recent development?

• deadbeef said: a) you fucked up your server and locked yourself out

Woa, i didnt know that to change #Port 22 to Port xxx (removing # ofc) is so destructive

deadbeef said: you didn't know how to use KVMoIP

I simply told that is better to give more docs

deadbeef said: Have you always been that stupid or has it been a recent development?

Are you always so mature and well-mannered or has it been a recent development?

• Let's keep things amicable guys.

Feedback is always good to receive, positive or negative. It allows us to see area where we can improve all the time.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WSSWSS Member

When I started reading the complaint, I told myself "This has to be a ServerDeals, but not an Atom." I was wrong. I'm strongly tempted to get one for $5/mo, but I just don't know what I could do with one with 2GB of RAM and a crappy CPU that I can't with any of my KVMs or OVZs..

• sinsin Member

@WSS said:
    When I started reading the complaint, I told myself "This has to be a ServerDeals, but not an Atom." I was wrong. I'm strongly tempted to get one for $5/mo, but I just don't know what I could do with one with 2GB of RAM and a crappy CPU that I can't with any of my KVMs or OVZs..

Buy it because you know you want it, you want that extra idling power :-)

Thanked by 4ATHK imok BBTN willie
  • @johnnymatt said:

deadbeef said: a) you fucked up your server and locked yourself out

Woa, i didnt know that to change #Port 22 to Port xxx (removing # ofc) is so destructive

If you couldn't ssh back in, you fucked up the config. It wasn't the aliens.

deadbeef said: you didn't know how to use KVMoIP

I simply told that is better to give more docs

Can you Google bruh?

deadbeef said: Have you always been that stupid or has it been a recent development?

Are you always so mature and well-mannered or has it been a recent development?

Being well-mannered and mature has always been a pinnacle of success, along with my unlimited modesty.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • WSSWSS Member

@sin said:

@WSS said:

Buy it because you know you want it, you want that extra idling power :-)

I already have plenty of power available doing nothing. and I'm still waiting on my TragicServers' new network provisioning of the 6G OVZ. :D

• Changing the ssh port# doesn't seem that worthwhile on ipv4 since port scanning bots will find the new one anyway. I like to change the listening address to a random one in the middle of a /64 ipv6 range on the theory that should make it almost impossible to find. But I haven't thought it completely through, so maybe that's not as good as it sounds either.

• @willie said:
    Changing the ssh port# doesn't seem that worthwhile on ipv4 since port scanning bots will find the new one anyway. I like to change the listening address to a random one in the middle of a /64 ipv6 range on the theory that should make it almost impossible to find. But I haven't thought it completely through, so maybe that's not as good as it sounds either.

Haven't seen a single invalid login attempt on my non-default (20k+) port server with publickey auth only, running for 3+ years now on the same port, same ip. Either no one's scanning, or they managed to break a 4096bit key at first try.

• I have one of their dedi's absolutely ecstatic about what I have receive from them. Fast response, great service. No downtimes

• teamacc said:

Haven't seen a single invalid login attempt on my non-default (20k+) port server with publickey auth only, running for 3+ years now

Interesting, thanks. That's ipv4?

• Not sure if it will count as a review or not, but very impressed with their pre-sales. Though the Dedi I have with them is also performing as expected with 100% uptime (6 days, lol). Can't complain at all.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2017

Their customer panel in UK have no TLS/SSL. Having to login in plaintext to manage a server is kinda weird & painful in 2017...

Is that the case for other locations too?

(Only had positive experiences with their support team though.)

• @willie said:

teamacc said:

Haven't seen a single invalid login attempt on my non-default (20k+) port server with publickey auth only, running for 3+ years now

Interesting, thanks. That's ipv4?

Yup.

Root account enabled for private/public key only, but no keys added. User accounts private/public key only too, with some keys added.

• @datanoise said:
    Their customer panel in UK have no TLS/SSL. Having to login in plaintext to manage a server is kinda weird & painful in 2017...

Is that the case for other locations too?

(Only had positive experiences with their support team though.)

Every other location is embedded in to the VN client area, we have a developer working on the UK integration still at the moment :)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @VortexMagnus said:
    Thanks for all the positive comments, it means a lot :)

You guys deserve it, for the kind of service and response times that you provide.

Having said that, I had been meaning to ask about any progress made in terms of moving dedicated server management to a control panel? My $5 Atom has been idling real hard, as I feel bad about opening a ticket every time I want to re-install the OS for the price that I pay (Laziness on my part is a contributing factor too, else I'd be lying) :P

• @K4Y5 said:

@VortexMagnus said:

You guys deserve it, for the kind of service and response times that you provide.

Having said that, I had been meaning to ask about any progress made in terms of moving dedicated server management to a control panel? My $5 Atom has been idling real hard, as I feel bad about opening a ticket every time I want to re-install the OS for the price that I pay (Laziness on my part is a contributing factor too, else I'd be lying) :P

We have a target implementation date of 20th Jan, but that's not a public or official date, just an internal target. It'll all be within the client area and everything functioning as it should.

• @VortexMagnus said:

@K4Y5 said:

@VortexMagnus said:

We have a target implementation date of 20th Jan, but that's not a public or official date, just an internal target. It'll all be within the client area and everything functioning as it should.

Sounds good. I hope you guys are able to get it all working well by the 20th. I am sure a lot of people will be happy with that development.

Keep up the good work.

• I would say they are ok at best. Make sure they meet your needs prior to purchase. If they offer to do anything after purchase... I would not count on it as they have never come through in those scenarios for me. Sales purely wants to sell > deliver towards your needs.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

Wtf are you saying? @cheapwebdev

• hzrhzr Member

willie said: Changing the ssh port# doesn't seem that worthwhile on ipv4 since port scanning bots will find the new one anyway. I like to change the listening address to a random one in the middle of a /64 ipv6 range on the theory that should make it almost impossible to find. But I haven't thought it completely through, so maybe that's not as good as it sounds either.

The intent is generally to have less log spam. Anything dedicated will still find the port, it just removes garbage background noise

Thanked by 1alown