Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Cached - With Raid 10 or Raid 1 or Raid 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Cached - With Raid 10 or Raid 1 or Raid 5

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi Guys,

What do you people prefer, SSD cached with RAID 10 or SSD Cached with Raid 1 or SSD Cached with Raid 5.
This means you add HDDs in Raid 1/5/10 with a SSD to cache. Which one do you prefer ?

Since a lot of people here are having very short temper and they really do not wanna use their brain, let me simplify it.
Most of the times SSD cache is going to improve the speed when it comes to real time usage. I know the combination for RAID 10 and SSD is best according to performance, but how good it is when comes to looking at investing in a RAID 10 + SSD vs RAID 1 + SSD, try to see value for money as well.

( Flashcache will be used )

Thanks

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

RAID10

• MunMun Member

Welcome To Low End Support,

Today Raid 1 Vs. 5 Vs. 10.

Answer:

Raid 1 is simple mirroring meaning there is no speed boost, and in the case of VPS this means REALLY slow speeds. (causes high I/O load as well)

Raid 5 is okay, but many RAID cards aren't great with it, causing slow performance. This however is the middle ground between a Raid 1 and Raid 10.

Raid 10, this is striping plus mirroring and is the common standard for most VPS hosts, it is fast and has live redundancy so when you have a drive fail you aren't fully screwed.

(thus go with RAID 10.

• @Mun,
    Please consider that I know definitions of Raid 1, 5, 10 too.
    Now consider that each of them takes higher number of disks and thus reduced space for cost. Now considering that which one is the good option.

• BrightbullBrightbull Member
    edited May 2013

Do you have to create a new thread for everything? Google is your friend! :-)
    OT: Go with RAID10

• @BrightBull : why dont u understand, I am taking a experienced poll from users.

• MunMun Member

Please consider that I know definitions of Raid 1, 5, 10 too.
    Now consider that each of them takes higher number of disks and thus reduced space for cost. Now considering that which one is the good option.

Well you really should learn to read, as Raid 1 is slow (high IO load) raid 5 is middle ground, but some cards aren't great with it. Finally RAID 10 which is commonly used by VPS hosts.

If you are going to start a VPS company, don't as you clearly don't know what you are doing.

• @Mun, Why do u guys panic all the time ?

• AmitzAmitz Member

If you knew the difference between 1, 5 & 10, then you would not have opened this thread...

• MunMun Member

@darknessends said: @Mun, Why do u guys panic all the time ?

First of all I am one person thus "You guys" doesn't applicably work here. Second Google is a massive resource and in many cases you could spend 20 minutes searching and find more answers then my small "TL:DR" on the subject. Third, I am tired of people thinking they are going to get rich by starting up another CVPS.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

@darknessends said: @Mun, Why do u guys panic all the time ?

He was trying to help you and you took it the other way around, he has nothing to panic about but your worthless posts but was only giving a realistic suggestion

• darknessendsdarknessends Member
    edited May 2013

I have opened this thread to specifically ask if I put a SSD cached in between how much does it matters the Raid !!!! I think you kiddies are too dumb to understand what probably the question is. Trolls stay away ! This stuff is not for you ! You are underestimating everything. So Shut up and Go unless you really get why a person would post this in the first place.

• bobbybobby Member

join your threads, dont let them run wild

• MunMun Member

Do you understand how a SSD Cache hard drives work?

• darknessendsdarknessends Member
    edited May 2013

@Mun, @Patrick, @BrightBull, Requesting if you think I am fool, please dnt waste your time advising me

• @Mun, seriously go man, this is my thread, you are not welcome anymore. Please.

• MunMun Member
    edited May 2013

Last time this is a public forum, and I have done nothing wrong, so I can stay if I so choose.

• Wait, are you starting up a host? And I do understand, but I don't understand why you post a thread for almost everything. The last couple of days I have seen your name all over the front page, hehe! :-)

• @Mun, definitely. but I really request you to stop it.

• MunMun Member

Stop what? I am answering your question.

• PatrickPatrick Member

@darknessends said: I have opened this thread to specifically ask if I put a SSD cached in between how much does it matters the Raid !!!! I think you kiddies are too dumb to understand what probably the question is.

Of course it matters, how dumb can YOU get?

We kiddies probably have more knowledge then you and would actually maybe help if you knew how to talk to others in a friendly tone.

• @BrightBull, not everyone starts a VPS host brother, I have to do some other things that require me to run virtualized nodes. Thats about it, Nothing to do with all the VPS guys here. Thanks

• @Patrick, seriously if u dnt grab the question and you think its as dumb as asking which RAID is better ?? You should not be running a VPS hosting in the first place. Please, now stop. wait and watch.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Please.. please stop asking people to leave. This is not your forum.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@darknessends said: @BrightBull, not everyone starts a VPS host brother, I have to do some other things that require me to run virtualized nodes. Thats about it, Nothing to do with all the VPS guys here. Thanks

Dominic says that everytime before he starts a new host.

Pro tip : LSI is buggy.

edited May 2013

@darknessends said: @Patrick, seriously if u dnt grab the question and you think its as dumb as asking which RAID is better ?? You should not be running a VPS hosting in the first place. Please, now stop. wait and watch.

That didn't make sense..?
    RAID10 is usually better for everything. Whether it's better for you and your budget is for you to decide.

• MunMun Member

@darknessends said: @BrightBull, not everyone starts a VPS host brother, I have to do some other things that require me to run virtualized nodes. Thats about it, Nothing to do with all the VPS guys here. Thanks

If it is for you, and you aren't starting a low end hosting business, then take some time and look up the differences for your application.

Do you need high speed? Raid 10

Do you need lots of storage? Raid 1

Do you need a mixture? Raid 5

edited May 2013

@Mun Just noticed the "DidYouTryRestartingIt?" in your signature. You should make a "DidYouTryAskingLET?" and a "DidYouTryGooglingIt?"! :-)

• @BrightBull, It does makes sense if you read carefully, And my question is should I invest in RAID 10 when I am going to put a SSD for caching? It is not a joke. I know Raid 10 + SSD is best, Think from a buyer's point of view, it asks me to invest more in HDDs and a server with 6 or 8 bays. I am not sure why you think there is no point in comparing, Definitely its a good question.

• MunMun Member

Thus Why I asked you if you understand how a SSD Cache HDD drive works.

• I didn't say there is no point in comparing, I said there is no point in asking. You need to decide yourself what is better with price vs. performance, and what's better for your budget. RAID10 is usually better, but whether you want to invest more or less we don't know... And it still does not make sense after reading it. May I ask where you are from? Just wondering! :)