Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts

Comments

• Considering bidding on one of the first 10... 'Goes and finds bank statements'

• I think it would be better with a case, I don't want to touch one when it's running,

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

You can build your own, or send to 3D print one. I will make my design when I get it on my hands

• Very interesting, my only concern would be, do many ARM linux distros have driver support for the broadcom chip on this board?

• It'll run Debian, Fedora, and Arch when it's released.

• @netomx said: You can build your own, or send to 3D print one. I will make my design when I get it on my hands

Si consigues uno, ojalá me puedas comentar el proceso para importarlo y cuánto $$$ te costó. Gracias

• Also fun to play with - http://www.picotux.com/

• @Aldryic the RIPE atlas probe looks smaller than this :)

@yomero said: Si consigues uno, ojalá me puedas comentar el proceso para importarlo y cuánto $$$ te costó. Gracias

Lo mas sencillo es www.shapeways.com pero si estas en Mty, hay varias empresas, una de ellas es cliente mio, voy a ver cuanto me cobra a mi.

@Aldryic said: Also fun to play with - http://www.picotux.com/

but VERY expensive

• @Aldryic said: Also fun to play with - http://www.picotux.com/

It's over the $60/year LEB max :(

So, anyone willing to rent an IP in USA for our RPis ?? :)

• @net said: It's over the $60/year LEB max :(

Never said I paid for it :P

• I wonder what the max resolution the GPU can handle 1080p at.

• @Kairus said: I wonder what the max resolution the GPU can handle 1080p at.

Uh...1920x1080?

• @Zetta said: Uh...1920x1080?

I have to agree here since 1080p is 1920x1080 essentially everywhere.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited January 2012

I won't get surprised if 10~20 of those, doesn't even absorb as much power as ONE regular dedicated server, since those ARM processors are too economical in power.

For performance, it's actually similar to my old PIII 700Mhz, but I had 640mb RAM, it ran Windows XP with quite a lot of applications, with also an antivirus, firewall etc! Noted VLC media player ran smoothly. Opera, Firefox, and video converting tools and some of video editing tools ran perfectly, but was just taking too long for encoding, also, the single-core single-threaded CPU was too slow once an application is using 100% of it.

If that ARM is multi-threaded, then that's a winning deal.

Edit: Those benchmarks are for outdated applications, current Windows applications are too bloated and CPU intensive :( But not the case with Linux :)

• I think David Braben (Elite, Zarch/Virus) is one of the people behind it, isn't he?
    It sure is a nice price, and I love their goal of providing a tool to introduce kids to programming.

It will also make a fun hacker's toy at that price, but as a hacker's toy I am a bit worried about how closed off it is, especially considering Broadcom's reputation and heavy involvement in this project. Having to deal with binary blobs and mysterious, undocumented hardware is never fun.

Closed source hardware, designed under NDA, most of the "interesting" drivers -- including the bootloader! -- closed-source binary blobs, Broadcom's usual complete lack of public information about any of the hardware... it all just sounds like a lot of headaches waiting for anyone trying to do anything with it not pre-created by the Raspberry Pi Foundation / Broadcom. Still, the things it will be able to do and the low price forgives a lot. And the educational tool usage is of course the most important aspect anyway.

Another ARM linux board coming out soon is TI's BeagleBone, which is open hardware, running on a CPU with public documentation, and it looks like the drivers are mostly all open source. That said, at twice the price, and with no DVI/HDMI port built-in, it's not as great of a deal.

Thanked by 1Xeoncross

Who is gonna rent us IPs for the new generation of dedicated low end Raspberry Pis ?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@netomx said: Who is gonna rent us IPs for the new generation of dedicated low end Raspberry Pis ?

For $12/year I'm all for it (if we get a 110v PDU installed). :D

• $12 a year for power and bandwidth, plus 1 IPv4 address? How much bandwidth per month? Count me in.

@NickM said: $12 a year for power and bandwidth, plus 1 IPv4 address? How much bandwidth per month? Count me in.

Unmetered 10Mbps?

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited January 2012

Would like to note that in my 700Mhz P III the RAM was initially 256 mb then for the most part it was 384MB (256+128) until I finally updated it using memory sticks I was able to get. So that means 384MB was running Win Xp Pro SP2 pretty well with all daily applications, so perhaps 256MB can run an optimized version of XP with a basic antivirus and Windows firewall, but running modern web browsers on it is questionable (like with the netbook here).

• @KuJoe said: Unmetered 10Mbps?

:D

@Go59954 said: Would like to note that in my 700Mhz P III the RAM was initially 256 mb then for the most part it was 384MB (256+128) until I finally updated it using memory sticks I was able to get. So that means 384MB was running Win Xp Pro SP2 pretty well with all daily applications, so perhaps 256MB can run an optimized version of XP with a basic antivirus and Windows firewall, but running modern web browsers on it is questionable (like with the netbook here).

Try running a Windows Server 2008 R2 with 384MB of RAM, it's amazing. RDP was like I was logged in remotely which is more than I can say for any Server 2003 VPS I've ever logged into (even with 8GB of RAM)

edited January 2012

I was thinking so also. Unfortunately it will be a while before our cabinet is ready for any colocation since we need to buy another switch and PDU and those will only happen after we get our own IP space from ARIN hopefully by March (not sure how long it takes for the paperwork to go through).

@KuJoe said: @NickM said: $12 a year for power and bandwidth, plus 1 IPv4 address? How much bandwidth per month? Count me in.

Unmetered 10Mbps?

COUNT ME IN!

Hey @KuJoe where are you from?

Pinellas Park, FL.