Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2012 in General

Run a true LowEndBox at home. The perfect gift for any LEB enthusiast; The Raspberry Pi (Model B, because it has onboard LAN)

Cost: $35 (Model B)
Specs: See sheet above (256MB RAM)

Looking forward getting one, just to play around with :) Will be going on sale somewhere at the end of January
Linky: http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Comments

• I'm planning to get one, maybe two, when they come out.

• I plan to get one or two too. I hope they have enough stock. Would be interesting to see what this little thing can do.

• The first 2 to become publically available went on auction on eBay today
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/raspberry_pi/m.html?item=180786734741&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Will wait for the price to come down.

• already read this like a week ago. will grab one probably as i have a fiber connection at home ;)

• Really thought what would you use it for, a webserver? they look similar to the sheevaplug

• They look incredibly useful to build a small home server out of.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Just a tiny doubt, on their FAQ page, http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

They say it will be able to run "Debian, Fedora and ArchLinux"

Debian and ArchLinux are okay, but Fedora = RHEL, will "yum update" or "yum install xyz" work on it out-of-the-box ?

• Sure, as long as you're set up to the ARM repository you'll be good to go.

Baring in mind, they'll have the power of your average smart-phone, so don't go too crazy :P I'm planning on sellotaping one to the back of a TV, turn it into a small media center of some sort.

• I can imagine getting one coloed for static file serving or something that isn't cpu intensive

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I need to get a 110v PDU installed in our cabinet now and get a bunch of these in there. :D

• They would be coooool cheap dedicated servers.

Maybe someone will do what has already been done to the Mac Mini's, where they make a 1U Rack Converter so you can fit multiple on a rack, but in this case it would be dozens.

• @KuJoe said: I need to get a 110v PDU installed in our cabinet now and get a bunch of these in there. :D

Do that and I'd be willing to pay the cost of a raspberry pi or two, plus a monthly fee for bandwidth/power.

• It would be great if providers started offering these. Not sure how much could be done with them but at least there wouldn't be any overselling

• Would be awesome if hosts can provide that :D
    I will surely take on then

• It would classify as a LowEndDedicatedBox then, wouldn't it ;)

• Would be nice to see XBMC running on it...

• Anyone know the release date?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Yes, the end of January. I am looking for two of them.

• Does anyone know why exactly people are willing to pay £1500+ for one of these when they're coming at the end of the month?

Bragging rights? :)

My only concern would be that SD cards tend to have limited life if being used for constant read/writes, I'd hate to have to replace them every year on XXX servers. :(

Does it say anything about power consumption?

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited January 2012

Wikipedia says

Power ratings: 500 mA, (2.5 Watt) [1] 700 mA, (3.5 Watt) (for A and B respectively)

Is that it? Idle?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Joel - quote from the site: "All the money we raise via these auctions will go straight back into the Raspberry Pi Foundation, funding the charity’s work. "

@KuJoe I have some SD cards laying here with constant read and write, and not a single one is dead.

• @netomx said: @KuJoe I have some SD cards laying here with constant read and write, and not a single one is dead.

Just to mention, the cellphone ones :P

• @netomx @KuJoe Trust me, they will die soon. I had a Trackmania server running on my EEEPC 701 and it was stored on the SD card. It lasted for about a month, then it died.

• @Freek

Bad luck :P

It looks like SD cards have about the same life span of SSD drives (around 100,000 writes). As long as nobody is running constant DDs that's should last a while.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited January 2012

Class 4 SDHC cards can write/read 14-16 MB/s. They mostly all come with 10 year warranty too.

• Id just have them linked to external hard drives cause big capacity sd cards are very expensive.

• @titanicsaled said: Id just have them linked to external hard drives cause big capacity sd cards are very expensive.

A 16GB one costs like 25-30 usd, and probably you can add them to an LVM :P