Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEWBIE ! Control Panel - I need free / open source - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEWBIE ! Control Panel - I need free / open source

Comments

• FreekFreek Member

Webmin with Virtualmin does the job for me.
    ZPanel is a security drama, do not use it.

• I had huge email issues with Zpanel, That is why trying to avoid it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

OpenPanel. Said it once, worth saying twice. Those who know better always say Webmin. End users shouldn't be using Webmin. Virtualmin isn't much better. The new user needs something like kloxo that actually works. Use open panel, take security in your own hands.

• @jarland : if thats good - I would like to see a demo, Can u show me? Is it on their website.

Doesn't work on my phone but maybe in a real browser: http://demo.openpanel.com/

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

EHCP - ugly and not so great interface, however installation is simple and it doesn't have the security issues of zPanel.

• Froxlor for clients works fine for me (they understand it, so not much support required). @jarland What kind of FTP probs do you have? ProFTP under Squeeze works perfect for me...

• @jarland - doesnt works too.

• twaintwain Member

That cheapo plesk vendor is probably your best bet.

• @twain - too good to be true, someone used it ? And its plesk 10 or plesk 11.

• twaintwain Member

Pretty sure @jhadley has used it as he has recommended it in many threads. I believe Plesk 11.

@dynweb Always says login info is invalid. Using the configuration provided in the panel, reboot, recreate users, still the same.

@darknessends I don't have a demo then, but its like a 2 minute install. I'd recommend giving it a shot. I'll troll you on torrent related things all day, I won't give you bad advice on this. This is a current issue of mine and so I figured I'd share the results of a lot of time spent recently, maybe save you some of it.

• @jhadley, did u use it ? which plesk version

• @jarland : I do not know why no one really wants to write a simple panel. Apache, PHP, DNS,Email, Database, and thats it. Very simple one ! They all grow large and large making it complex for people to use them

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Because it's a lot of work! And if you're going to bother doing it go the whole way and make it have all the features.

edited April 2013

@darknessends I wish I could write one. Honestly a user friendly panel for newbies, its a huge need. But I get that free isn't always worth people's time. Neon is looking great, keep an eye on that. I also just bought one of these plesk licenses so here goes...

• Webuzo is alright. Plus then they get softaculous build right in.

• @jarland You did install and configure libnss (Others -> libnss)? It's the only thing I can think about...

@dynweb said: libnss

I did not. Truthfully I'm not good at setting up FTP servers. I've always disliked the protocol, but I'm beginning to acknowledge that customer demand is greater than my opinions.

• @jarland libnss is needed for FTP to work. Once working, it's easy to enable FTP with TLS/SSL, it might help you to like FTP better -;)

Thanks for the tip :)

• twaintwain Member

@dynweb - is there less overhead with ftps than with scp/sftp? Eg is it a bit faster? Never actually tested ftps..

• @twain I don't really know, sorry. It is just encrypted FTP, and my uploads and downloads are always limited by line speed...

• @24khost said: Webuzo is alright. Plus then they get softaculous build right in.

+1
    They have free version. Even the paid version is only $2.5/month.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@marcm said: Dankeschön für die Klarifikation mein Herr :-)

Sährrr gerrrne, Herrr marrrcm! Immerrr zu Diensten!

• ZeroZero Member

Plesk from Netsys-Online for a good and cheap control panel or i-MSCP for a good and free control panel :D

• Baifox on debian

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited April 2013

@shovenose said: EHCP - ugly and not so great interface, however installation is simple and it doesn't have the security issues of zPanel.

I think its no more in development (EHCP), Kind of Dead now...

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@MikeIn said: I think its no more in development (EHCP), Kind of Dead now...

Latest post is from March 13, 2013. Seems like it's still being developed.

• @perennate said: Latest post is from March 13, 2013. Seems like it's still being developed.

oh! thanks I totally missed that..