Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Flags you Look for on Low End Talk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Red Flags you Look for on Low End Talk

ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

Hello Everyone,

Was just curious to know, what are some of the red flags you look for (if any) when purchasing web hosting services from providers you are not too familiar with? Some things I look for:

• Length of time domain name has been registered.
  • Quick Google/Bing search of the company to see if there is overwhelming negative feed-back.
  • Quality of website (does the website look like it was put together in 5 mins)?
  • Contact info, is there a physical address associated with the business? What about a phone number?

Let me know if you have any to add to the list.

Comments

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2016
    • Contains GreenValue in the brand name.
  • Check if they have a provider tag, click on their profile and look at some of the threads they opened at the beginning. Speaks volumes.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Seeing how well they perform with this post from @jtk is a good start

Personally I check their WhoIS, who they host their own website with, public reviews if any and make a ticket asking something basic to see how fast their support are.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2016

If Whois info is private and the domain is from namecheap which allows anonymous registerations via tor and purchases via bitcoin, avoid like plague.

• I only buy from a providers that has gotten at least 3 votes / honorable mentions in previous provider polls.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My big red flag is just a lack of willingness to identify themselves or be known by name. I don't mind WHOIS privacy, for example, if they make it easily known who they are and their identity seems even remotely legitimate.

Thanked by 2Amitz BBTN
  • Law/Politics/Gender students.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I look on WHT. If they have the corporate tag there, I know I'm safe.

• @raindog308 said:

GVH did have a corporate account on WHT.

• I also check if they're registered as a company in the respective register of commerce.

• @jesin said:

@raindog308 said:

You missed the irony part :p

• I avoid the ones that molest kids, but maybe that's just me.

Thanked by 2Amitz deadbeef
  • Personally I avoid the ones that have spelling mistakes in their posts and/or do not get sarcasm. That, for me, identifies that there will be a language barrier in case I ever need anything in a ticket.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @deadbeef said:

@jesin said:

@raindog308 said:

You missed the irony part :p

Yeah, didn't notice it was raindog's comment :D And ironically OP is a corporate member on WHT ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Hey @FernGullyGraphics - you've been in web hosting for...about 200 years or so? Long time. Seen you on WHT for years...what brings you to LET?

BTW my phone got redir'd to m.ferngullygraphics.com which appears to be down. Main site is fine.

• For me, a red flag is the members of the WHT clique that always seem to ask what is your budget (hey its business my budget is low and my expectations are high - do you really expect any other answer?), ask did you review the offer section (knowing its loaded with a certain clique of offers), and condone EIG (and to a lesser extent GoDaddy) hate even though they havent had services for years and can't even articulate what GoDaddy offers these days. And also be regaled by stories of past greatness in the music world on how to run a business.

• @OhMyMy said:

You should check the offer section.

• @deadbeef said:

• Contains GreenValue in the brand name.

Or includes the keyword "nuggets"

• @Nekki said:
    I avoid the ones that molest kids, but maybe that's just me.

So ... No pizza ?

• @Nekki said:

Eh, details.

For example: I'd never let @francisco date my sister, but I'd happily let him host my precious data (if those slices ever make it across that big bucket of water)

• ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    Hey @FernGullyGraphics - you've been in web hosting for...about 200 years or so? Long time. Seen you on WHT for years...what brings you to LET?

BTW my phone got redir'd to m.ferngullygraphics.com which appears to be down. Main site is fine.

You almost got me with the Corporate Tag comment as well, good one. To answer your question, WHT is still a great place to converse about web hosting, but has been a little slow lately in terms of topics. Figured Lowend Talk would be a good place to keep conversations going as I like to stay active on the web hosting forums.

Thanks for the note about the m.ferngullygraphics.com. That sub domain had been disabled for sometime and there should not be any redirects (seems to be fine on my mobile). Have you visited our website before? I am wondering if maybe some type of cache is at work? I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

• Company registrations being something to look for is hilarious because it doesn't necessarily provide any protection for the customer. How many pump-and-dumps were done with a $100 - 200 LLC and virtual office?

• I can get a twilio phone number an international mail po box ( I know of at least 3 companies) that allows me to use a po box. Can register in Wyoming or Delaware or texas as LLC and noone will know my name (just the registered agent). Hence anyone anywhere could do that. So the only way to know they are legit is time in business, reviews from other users, do they file federal and state tax paperwork on time, etc etc. So you have to dig up info on some of these brands. Put website tos and aup snippets into google - see if they rip off someone elses text. Go into the theme source and look for phrases the template builders leave in for naming sections and look for them as well on google. Search the IP and see what else comes up. ARE MOST OF THEIR POSTS OFFERS OR ACTUAL WORTHWHILE COMMENTS.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • jhjh Member

• ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

@OhMyMy said:
    For me, a red flag is the members of the WHT clique that always seem to ask what is your budget (hey its business my budget is low and my expectations are high - do you really expect any other answer?), ask did you review the offer section (knowing its loaded with a certain clique of offers), and condone EIG (and to a lesser extent GoDaddy) hate even though they havent had services for years and can't even articulate what GoDaddy offers these days. And also be regaled by stories of past greatness in the music world on how to run a business.

You forgot to include "What is Your Diskspace and Bandwidth Requirement?". Although I must admit, sometimes asking for a budget is necessary. I do tend to shake my head when I see the same posts on the same thread asking the same questions you listed. Seems to be all you see on WHT nowadays.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@teamacc said:

@Nekki said:

Eh, details.

For example: I'd never let @francisco date my sister, but I'd happily let him host my precious data (if those slices ever make it across that big bucket of water)

Why.. why would you quote that and then tag Fran? I needed to triple check what you wrote there.

Also, I for one would love for @Francisco to date my sister.. best brother-in-law evar!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Harambe said:

@teamacc said:

@Nekki said:

Eh, details.

Why.. why would you quote that and then tag Fran? I needed to triple check what you wrote there.

Also, I for one would love for @Francisco to date my sister.. best brother-in-law evar!

I honestly don't even know what's going on in this thread :P

Francisco

Thanked by 3Hxxx zafouhar Harambe
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited December 2016

teamacc said: For example: I'd never let @francisco date my sister, but I'd happily let him host my precious data (if those slices ever make it across that big bucket of water)

I think @Aldryic finally found his own cock under all that belly fat. To be fair to him, it's hard to see. Can he date your sister?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jiggawattz said:

teamacc said: For example: I'd never let @francisco date my sister, but I'd happily let him host my precious data (if those slices ever make it across that big bucket of water)

I think @Aldryic finally found his own cock under all that belly fat. Can he date your sister?

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited December 2016

Deformed images on sites show some idiots inside.