Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Former GVH employee Eric Walstrom arrested for hacking his schools grade system. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BREAKING NEWS: Former GVH employee Eric Walstrom arrested for hacking his schools grade system.

13»

Comments

• srpurdysrpurdy Member
    edited March 2015

@aglodek said:
    Never happen, it's a growth business! Guaranteed by human nature (procreation) multiplied by proclivity for inventing new rules (laws) as a seemingly quick fix for problem issues, not to mention good PR.

haha. I was sort of kidding. They do like finding ways to through people in jail though in the USA. The prisons get like $50,000 a head / year. Costs them a fraction of that to keep them alive.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2015

Incero said: This guy is f**ked for life, felonies on his record will make him unemployable for most IT jobs,

If he's under 18, his record gets sealed.

To be totally honest, I don't see why hacking is a felony. I mean... I can understand requiring reparations, that's all fine and dandy so long as they look at the actual damage caused and not the amount to fix their own fuck up, but still... a felony charge... kid's got the possibility of juvie...

Meh.

Although, there is that publicity issue. That'll raise hell for potential employers.

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited March 2015

@Rallias said:

If he's charged as a Adult in NY state he can't have it sealed.

Best he would do is plead out to a lesser charge with a 2/4 year expungement + probo program

• OnraHost said: If he's charged as a Adult in NY state he can't have it sealed.

Oh... I glanced over that bit...

Well, he got in with the wrong people and didn't have the law on his side. We can all feel sorry for him, but the fact is solid, he's accused of breaking the law.

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited March 2015

@Nekki said:
    You were a lurker here for a while then?

Yep. along with a GVH customer...

• Well eh, I've to admit that school security can be pretty bad.
    One of our school pages is vulnerable to SQL injections, you can access every piece of data on the school servers without having any permissions and we may not even change our passwords. Still a school of 2K-ish students >.>

• @Rallias said:
    To be totally honest, I don't see why hacking is a felony.

Doing dumbshit things greatly increases the chances of dumbshit things happening to a person.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@ElixantTechnology said:
    Unfortunate for him, he won't have any luck gaining employment with another Hosting Provider in the future.

there always will be another summer...

Thanked by 2mike1s VikingLayer
  • k0nslk0nsl Member

Incorrect. It was a masters in « derpytude » issued by the « New Derp High School ».

@AlexU said:
    Jonny said he had a masters in computer science?

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • It must have been hosted on a GVH box. Explains it all.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Falzo said: there always will be another summer...

Or a provider which will be ready to listen and know the person. At 16 you are not who you are, you will be in 3-4 years, mostly, that.

• Microlinux said: Doing dumbshit things greatly increases the chances of dumbshit things happening to a person.

Yeah. But in comparison with other crimes of similar severity, it's blown out of proportion.

• Lol wow learn something new everyday.

• leonaleona Member

This kid will be selling low end boxes next summer here on LET. He'll use his sisters name on the business and everybody will be falling all over themselves on his dual quad core server with 96 gigs a ram and 7000 T bandwidth and 900 gigs SSD with 9k swap. He'll be a hero like trinity hacking the IRS D base in the matrix.

Thanked by 3mike1s Pwner nexusrain
  • LeeLee Veteran

leona said: This kid will be selling low end boxes in a couple of weeks here on LET.

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2015

@Rallias said:
    Yeah. But in comparison with other crimes of similar severity, it's blown out of proportion.

I would argue its important to set a precedent now, technology becomes more ingrained in our day-to-day lives as time goes on, not less.

I have no compassion for morons.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2015

Microlinux said: I would argue its important to set a precedent now, technology becomes more ingrained in our day-to-day lives as time goes on, not less.

Yeah, and the precedent that SHOULD be implanted now should be that non-violent crimes shouldn't be as heavily punished as per se rape or grand theft.

The kid caused no more than $100* in damages. Why should he face a year as a felony when petty theft is charged as a misdemeanor?

* Figure derived by 2 hours of IT worker time to find and repair incorrect data. Assuming $35 an hour.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • CatalinCatalin Member

Incero said: Is this a big surprise? Kiddie hosts can only operate by "employing" kids. This guy is f**ked for life, felonies on his record will make him unemployable for most IT jobs, and he will have a hard time ever getting any job that requires government security clearance. Goodbye to any possibility of big pay checks!

Hahahaha.. he will not be able to get a good paying job, but he will be for sure able to invent a job.. or make his own business. :)) An entrepreneur doesn't need a job, he invents one.

• Catalin said: Hahahaha.. he will not be able to get a good paying job, but he will be for sure able to invent a job.. or make his own business. :)) An entrepreneur doesn't need a job, he invents one.

Some states, a felony will prevent you from lawfully operating a business. Plus you can't vote and do other things as a felon.

• So does this mean the quality of service from gvh will be better or worse from this?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

@doughnet said:
    So does this mean the quality of service from gvh will be better or worse from this?

Depends on how good connectivity is in a federal pound me in the ass prison (SFW).

People warned him, now he has to suck it up and cost his parents some serious cash for a lawyer.

Francisco

• edited May 2015

Those are some ridiculous charges for a 16 year old... I'm not saying what he did was right, but they might want to turn it down a notch.

When a teacher did something similar to this (although no hacking), he simply lost his certification with no charges: http://www.nbc-2.com/story/25196130/teacher-bribes-students-loses-teaching-certificate

He can still apply for teaching certificates in other states

Double standard?