Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Former GVH employee Eric Walstrom arrested for hacking his schools grade system. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BREAKING NEWS: Former GVH employee Eric Walstrom arrested for hacking his schools grade system.

Comments

• @Stevie It's like that everywhere in the US, not just NY. "disciplining" has turned into at "sit in a corner" or my favorite "go outside for an hour" :p...ok that was a joke but I'm sure the video game kids would fine that horrid.

• IshaqIshaq Member

OnraHost said: Because motivational speakers and success stories don't talk about their struggles before the success? No way they could be successful since they just told me they use to be broke!

What has this got to do with you claiming to have learned more than 96% of the USA's population and 99% of LET's userbase?

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited March 2015

@perennate said:

Again on a mobile phone...So I could really care less about grammar.

Plus the fact it was spelling smart ass ;)

edited March 2015
    edited March 2015

@Ishaq Im confused? You're making a completely different point then your OP. Do you care about the "learning" claim? Or more about the "bragging" claim?

Either way the point was to @Stevie about NY'ers being spoiled and never learning anything. He seemed to catch the point of what I was getting at by my response...

Just to help you a little more in detail...growing up in the PJ's of the South Bronx I clearly wasn't spoiled in anyway and made tons, upon tons of horrible decisions. That doesn't mean it stopped me from learning from my mistakes, graduating with honors, then going to NYU and UM my last 6 years. Hope this helps :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Lets look at it another way, are the schools IT systems that insecure?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Am I the only one who has realised that these sorts of posts are exactly like Jon's? All about GVH. Who cares.

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

0xdragon said: Am I the only one who has realised that these sorts of posts are exactly like Jon's? All about GVH. Who cares.

Oh, did I miss the "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" in OP?

Thanked by 3JahAGR 0xdragon netomx
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Lets look at it another way, are the schools IT systems that insecure?

Well most schools I would presume would be that insecure. I'm sure the computer teacher is the IT man/women and is already severely underpaid. Probably still has the Heartbleed un-patched TBH.

• @Onrahost: I thought all these school systems (for the teaching staff) was centrally managed by some district/state IT Dept.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Onrahost: I thought all these school systems (for the teaching staff) was centrally managed by some district/state IT Dept.

TBH I always thought the same thing. However after reading this it would seem not.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Lets look at it another way, are the schools IT systems that insecure?

Must be

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015

This kid is clearly on his way to being president.

Thanked by 2ATHK Pwner
  • @Jar I thought you had to smoke drugs for that?

Thanked by 2jar Pwner
  • AlexUAlexU Member
    edited March 2015

Jonny said he had a masters in computer science?

• The kid's got talent. Gotta give him that.

Instead of arresting people like this, they should give them jobs. Lol.

• @AlexU said:
    Jonny said he had a masters in computer science?

He says a lot of stuff :)

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • DH22DH22 Member

Many years ago back when I was in high school I got suspended for "hacking", as in browsing the tons of folders shared on the network with no protection at all and finding a file that had info on all the students in the school.

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2015

Back in high school during CISCO Networking class (a 4 hour freaking long class in high school..), my friend got into SASI (what our public schools use for everything from grading to the yearbook info) and changed a few grades for some students...he was caught pretty quickly and expelled but they ended up letting him back in.

• ~20 years ago I'd stick BIOS passwords on chain store display model PCs. I'm fairly sure we were heftily warned about any security related messing around in high school, the very first day we sat in an IT class.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@Incero said: Is this a big surprise? Kiddie hosts can only operate by "employing" kids. This guy is f**ked for life, felonies on his record will make him unemployable for most IT jobs, and he will have a hard time ever getting any job that requires government security clearance. Goodbye to any possibility of big pay checks!

Actually, he's probably inadvertantly already landed himself a job for life with law enforcement ;)

To be clear, charging a 16 YEAR OLD KID (yes he is a kid, not an adult) with a felony for being a cyber punk is stupid. Kid needs a spanking from his parents and a summer of detentions/summer school to retake classes as punishment.

The keyword here is "charging", not to be equated with "sentencing". The scare and a stint in the local pen can do him nothing but good… before they put him to work ;)

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

WoW! Kid!
    He has a bright future now!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Is this BREAKING NEWS something that is FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE?

• @raindog308 said:
    Is this BREAKING NEWS something that is FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE?

HAHA, I thought about putting that in there, and actually did initially as a joke.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Makenai
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikeSpears said:
    HAHA, I thought about putting that in there, and actually did initially as a joke.

You were a lurker here for a while then?

Thanked by 1xDragonZ
  • edited March 2015

Unfortunate for him, he won't have any luck gaining employment with another Hosting Provider in the future. This brings me to wonder, why is it that he is no longer with GVH?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

As someone severely beaten for hours at least once a week during some 10 years, I object against beating=discipline.
    Where it is discipline and where it is torture? Who is to judge? The current generation which did those laws is the beaten generation, even sexually abused, by priests or parents in the bible belt or poor town areas. Those people made it a point in fighting this and I think they got too far. Taking a kids word is wrong, especially since we now have documented cases in which kids lie to get revenge or simply cause trouble for someone. However, it is absolutely possible to determine if they are lying or not and overzealous CPA people do not go this extra step, probably thinking that if the kid lies, it is also the fault of the parents or school, or because they simply want to get a revenge in turn, no matter if against the wrong people, one more consequence of childhood abuse.
    I also agree that "being tough on crime", judging 10 yo as adults and other miserable middle-ages american thinking is as stupid as the CPA abuses. You can't take the middle road, fox? It is really protect the kid from his parents and teachers but not from criminals in jail?

• They are running out of people to put in jail to make money off of I guess. :\

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@srpurdy said: They are running out of people to put in jail to make money off of I guess. :\

Never happen, it's a growth business! Guaranteed by human nature (procreation) multiplied by proclivity for inventing new rules (laws) as a seemingly quick fix for problem issues, not to mention good PR.

• elflordelflord Member
    edited March 2015

At my old school we found that a certain shared drive was available to users if you only right clicked it and granted yourself permission. We placed a minecraft file there that people could use. Just made it a hidden file and presto, invisible to the tech guy. The IT tech dude's solution for all problems in the world was to simply reinstall windows. Everyone knew that he was worthless, but because he was buddy buddy with the administration, his job was secure.

A bunch of us knew you could brute force your way into any of the systems, but none of us would have been dumbass enough to do it. This guy shouldn't have been charged a hacker, just scare him and get the police involved and he would have learned his lesson.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Pwner