Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

40 GB limit on CentOS 6.x before i starting to make /home and other mount points?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

40 GB limit on CentOS 6.x before i starting to make /home and other mount points?

I have one question, since my last post here... : Do CentOs 6.x (or Linux) have a 40 GB disk limit of any kind? If you stay at 40 or below, a standard installation put all the disk space in one partition. If the disk size is over 40 GB it starts to map the disk space into different mount points, like /home /root and /.
The reason I ask is because I created 3 CentOS 6.6 64bit minimal installation at the same time. One of them had a 60 GB disk, and I got lots of issues with it automatically make a small /home mount point. And the two others had 40 GB disks, and there all the disk space is in one partition. All was made on the same Hyper-V server at the same time.

Etc I can see at iwStack, that their CentOS 6.x templates is either 10 GB or 40 GB disk space. Maybe thats the reason? Anybody knows?

Comments

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited February 2015

Templates...

If you go into the installer and to the partitioning yourself, you can select partitioning.

If the template uses LVM, you can delete and unmount /home ; then expand /root by the space (online too with LVM.) -- of course, only do on a fresh system, etc etc.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Templates...

If you go into the installer and to the partitioning yourself, you can select partitioning.

I know that, but I asked if there is a limit in CentOs (or Linux) on 40 GB or larger?
    Since two 40 GB VMs had got all disk space at / but on the VM with 60 GB it was splitted up in several partitions with a small /home folder.

• There's no limit. Popular filesystems supported by RHEL 3 and above have at least 2Tb maximal size.

I suppose that's how autopartitioning has been programmed. Select your own templates/partition manually, if necessary.

• @Master_Bo said:
    There's no limit. Popular filesystems supported by RHEL 3 and above have at least 2Tb maximal size.

I suppose that's how autopartitioning has been programmed. Select your own templates/partition manually, if necessary.

Yes, I think I explains poorly. I know that it's not a size limit, I'm using Linux on a server with 6 TB disk, so that is not what I ask.
    I'm asking if CentOS or Linux has a limit before it starts to auto partition your drive?
    It do not do it at 40 GB, but it do it over 40 GB.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2015

@myhken said:
    It do not do it at 40 GB, but it do it over 40 GB.

Then it's more a flavor than a limit.

And I suggest always using manual partition.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken

Simply put you are thinking of this wrong. Your question was answered above by @Goodhosting and @Master_Bo and that is:

The template you are using to provision your server has been setup to partition volumes above 'x' size with multiple smaller partitions. If you were to go and manually install the operating system instead of using a template, say from CD, then you could manually change the size of the partitions when you setup the server to whatever you are wanting. There is no 'limit' in what you are asking about, other than the ones you placed on your self when not manually installing the operating system.

my 2 cent.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug

I wrote this in my first post:
    The reason I ask is because I created 3 CentOS 6.6 64bit minimal installation at the same time.

It was not from a template. It's on my own dedicated server running Hyper-V. I have downloaded the CentOS6.6 64bit minimal .iso file.
    So I'm not using any templates at all.

My question is do CentOS 6.6 64bit minimal .iso file have an type of auto template, if the disk is larger then 40 GB?
    Using disk under 40 GB, puts all the disk space on one partition, using disk space over 40 GB, create several partitions.

I know that you can setup your own partition system under setup, but still, why do CentOS let you have all the space in one place with disk at 40 GB or less, but create many partition if the disk is larger then 40 GB?
    Again, not talking about any template, just the minimal .iso file downloaded directly from CentOS website.