Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Announced for Raspberry Pi 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Announced for Raspberry Pi 2

Hello XYZ,

We are super excited to announce a new addition to the IOT Developer Program – Raspberry Pi 2!

In partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation, we are going to make Windows 10 available for the Raspberry Pi 2. You’ll be among the first to know when we make Windows 10 available for the Raspberry Pi 2.

We will also continue to support the Intel Galileo through the program.

By being part of the Windows Developer Program for IoT you continue to be amongst the first to receive new information about the program, product announcements, beta program updates and launch specifics.

Thank you,
The Microsoft IoT Team

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way,
Redmond, WA, USA. 98052

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.

So all you linophobes can use the Raspberry Pi 2 now (when it happens).

Comments

• Duplicate thread. You're a bit late, mate ;)

• aglodek said: Duplicate thread. You're a bit late, mate ;)

Sure about that? I don't see another one with the same subject.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@Rallias said:
    Sure about that? I don't see another one with the same subject.

Its about the hardware rather than Windows but... http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/42675/35-official-quad-core-1gb-raspberrypi2-based-on-900mhz-bcm2836-6x-performance-claimed

• And its still not windows as you may imagine it. It's without an UI, it's similar to DOS.

• Its like a Windows-CLI edition from what I gather?

• @Dorkfiles said:
    Its like a Windows-CLI edition from what I gather?

Yeah

• @trexos said:
    Yeah

Hmm... thoughts?

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

@Dorkfiles said:
    Hmm... thoughts?

Useless, unless you're an avid Windows developer that doesn't want a GUI or a GUI based project, I can't think of many things that you wouldn't want a GUI for on Windows...

I don't know how well IIS and ASP would run on this.

You could have a few NodeJS projects, but the overhead of Windows alone isn't worth it for NodeJS, when you can run it on Linux anyway along with NGINX as a proxy....

Honestly i don't get it..

• x0xx0x Member
    edited February 2015

I was thinking of using one of these mini computers as a media player that is connected to an av receiver mainly for audio but also for video. I was looking yesterday but now I discovered too many of them.
    Which one would you recommend for that task?
    It should be able to handle (pass through) the most common surround codecs and should have some performance if I want to use it for other things, too.

Banana Pi, Raspberry Pi 2, Odroid C1, Beaglebone...?

• @x0x said:
    I was looking yesterday but now I discovered too many of them.

Don't forget theres a few versions of the RPI and the earlier ones will be cheaper by now, if the early ones can do what you want it may be worth saving a few bucks.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ATHK said: Don't forget theres a few versions of the RPI and the earlier ones will be cheaper by now, if the early ones can do what you want it may be worth saving a few bucks.

I don't know, one of the reasons i didnt get a Pi yet is the low power of the cpu. It might do a good job now in some tasks, with a lot of tweaks, but for a few bucks it is really not worth getting an obsolete model, unless almost free second hand.
    BTW, does anyone wish to sell their old Pi which gathers dust?

• Maounique said: BTW, does anyone wish to sell their old Pi which gathers dust?

How would we get one to you? You have a dead-drop?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nekki said: You have a dead-drop?

Is there an alternative to that for people thousands of miles away? I wont go to UK and you wont come to romania for live drop, nor meeting half way would work, so, how to do it live?

• @Dorkfiles said:
    Its like a Windows-CLI edition from what I gather?

Windows CLI exists and it's called windows core in servers. Windows HyperV is free and is most in CLI mode BUT support running firefox and a lot of graphical programs.