Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding ''Internet Connection''
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding ''Internet Connection''

Hello LET,

I'm just wondering because if this is possible then i'll be the first to jump. Is it possible to use a dedicated servers ''network'' for your internet. Because Dedicated Servers have next level speeds compared to standard virgin media blah blah. I was looking around, found a method on steam but meh thought i'd ask you guys.

I've heard you can if you purchase a static external IP? or have i heard wrong.

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

How do you mean? You want to route all of your data through your dedicated server and somehow have that increase your speed on Virgin Media? That's not going to make your Virgin Media plan jump up!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you rent a dedicated server, it's in a datacenter. Speed to and from that server will be fast (datacenter Internet speeds). However, that has nothing to do with your home PC accessing the server. What leaves your home to go out to the Internet rides exclusively on your Internet provider, which I take it is Virgin Media.

So if you wanted to run, say, a seedbox and you put it on a dedicated server, the seedbox will run very fast (network-wise). But downloading from that seedbox to your home PC will still be at whatever speed you have now.

• If you hook a garden hose up to a fire hydrant, the amount of water that comes out is still limited what the garden hose can handle.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited January 2015

This guy is asking whether has can use his dedicated server to gain access to the internet from his home.

Ofcourse he can, Jon Nguyen will sale you anything he can't deliver.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

In theory it won't improve speeds at all, while you will still of course be limited by your connection speed obviously, if you route all of your internet through a server which is nearby it can improve speeds which were previously slower due to better connectivity. For example Virgin Media --> randomprovider can only go at a certain speed but Virgin Media --> server --> randomprovider can go faster provided it's under the limited speed of your connection.

So yeah, I personally have Virgin Media and it does work nicely with a server of mine in London, and it does improve some speeds at times.

• @Infinity thanks & also others for your input. Just my internet was down for about 7 hours today. And its really frustrating haha. But i see what you mean, i guess it wouldn't be bad if i bought a server from ovh and used it to route my data faster into the USA for games located in the US correct?

@Shivam said:
    Infinity thanks & also others for your input. Just my internet was down for about 7 hours today. And its really frustrating haha. But i see what you mean, i guess it wouldn't be bad if i bought a server from ovh and used it to route my data faster into the USA for games located in the US correct?

If your internet was down for 7 hours, then the only way a dedicated server would help is if you have a physical wire running all the way from your dedicated server and into your house. That's more than likely going to cost a hell of a lot more than paying BT to use their line for when Virgin Media gives you issues.

I think what @Infinity is getting at is that you can increase your speeds in certain scenarios. This is because going from Virgin Media to a well-connected server close to you can result in the server having better connectivity to your final destination than Virgin Media does.

Having said that, in most scenarios, you're unlikely to see performance benefits from doing this. I'd be surprised if running from the UK to OVH, then over to the USA to play some games would increase your performance. By all means, grab a cheap OVH server and give it a shot, but you're unlikely to see any performance gains, and if you do, they'll be minimal.

Just for confirmation @Infinity, I'm guessing the performance gains you sometimes see are minimal and nothing ground-breaking? Sounds almost as though @Shivam thinks that grabbing a super fast server will make his home connection super fact, when really it's a lot more complex than that, and unless your ISP has absolutely terrible connectivity, it's unlikely to make a huge deal of difference with real-world usage (including gaming).

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@liamwithers said:
    Just for confirmation Infinity, I'm guessing the performance gains you sometimes see are minimal and nothing ground-breaking? Sounds almost as though Shivam thinks that grabbing a super fast server will make his home connection super fact, when really it's a lot more complex than that, and unless your ISP has absolutely terrible connectivity, it's unlikely to make a huge deal of difference with real-world usage (including gaming).

Yeah, you got the jist of what I was saying, nothing groundbreaking - it's only when Virgin Media has shitty connectivity and it improves, but obviously with most applications you won't see much difference and it could go either way - worse or better.

• @liamwithers said:
    Just for confirmation Infinity, I'm guessing the performance gains you sometimes see are minimal and nothing ground-breaking? Sounds almost as though Shivam thinks that grabbing a super fast server will make his home connection super fact, when really it's a lot more complex than that, and unless your ISP has absolutely terrible connectivity, it's unlikely to make a huge deal of difference with real-world usage (including gaming).

Having a server physically closer to you means the packets will travel less distance (latency). Speed-wise is little or no change.

There is the plus of gaining higher quality routes. Avoiding congested sections of a network and improved performance (as @Infinity said).

@eddynetweb Indeed, however the dedicated servers location doesn't have any bearing on the end-point. As you mention, gaining higher quality routes, less congested sections and generally better connectivity are the main plus points to doing something like this. Having said that, @Shivam the amount of difference you're going to see is almost definitely going to be minimal on the positive side, to potentially a fair amount worse on the negative side. Certainly not worth getting a dedicated server purely for this, would only make sense if you've already got the server for other purposes anyway.

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited January 2015

Nothing would really 'increase' the speed of your home broadband as such, but yet again what's wrong with Virgin Media? For example, not seen another provider beat this, even so the uploads the only thing that's not completely great. As mentioned you'd need one pretty close to be able to get great benefits.

• @Shivam said:
    Just my internet was down for about 7 hours today. And its really frustrating haha.

You need to think this through a bit: how are you going to access your dedicated server in the first place without a working home internet connection?

• @Dylan said:

A physical ethernet cable from the DC to his house ..

/stupidity ends here

Thanked by 1aggressivenetworks
  • HyperSpeed said: Nothing would really 'increase' the speed of your home broadband as such, but yet again what's wrong with Virgin Media? For example, not seen another provider beat this, even so the uploads the only thing that's not completely great. As mentioned you'd need one pretty close to be able to get great benefits.

VirginMedia aren't great in all areas. It's not uncommon for customers in certain areas of the country to see slow speeds throughout much of the day because of congested UBRs.

We have Virgin broadband at my home in South Bristol. Back a month or two ago there was an issue with some UBRs at Virgin's Aztec facility in North Bristol that significantly reduced the bandwidth available to the rest of their network. We had speeds of 3Mb/s to the outside world for ~72 hours, whilst seeing our full 54Mb/s to the Virgin Speedtest.net server in Bristol. So we had great broadband connectivity to other Virgin customers in the area, but streaming/loading large images/doing anything remotely modern wasn't possible for 3 days.

It took Virgin 48+ hours to acknowledge the problem. That's shocking for an issue that stemmed from a part of their core network (Aztec provides 260Gb/s of connectivity for Bristol and the surrounding West Country), where they lost multiple 10Gb/s lines and didn't notice for 48+ hours.

• Thanks for the insight, yeah this is my speed result since my internet is back up,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4064624414.png

Haha i guess the bash over the phone ''saying we will leave them'' has improved my connection speed, its never this high usually around 20.

• If you had 2 or more Connections at home then you could use a dedicated server along side some kit at home to "bond" them for faster speeds.

• Shivam said: Haha i guess the bash over the phone ''saying we will leave them'' has improved my connection speed, its never this high usually around 20.

Yes, VirginMedia rate limit customer connections until they phone and rage at them.