Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Some Suggestions on a 512MB KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Some Suggestions on a 512MB KVM

ianirbanianirban Member
edited January 2015 in Help

I have a 512 MB kvm for a single website.

My VPS congiguration is:

1 CPU Core @ 2.6 Ghz,
512 Mb RAM,
30 GB SAS HDD

my memory usage for this week is: (I installed the vesta cp just last week and I had done a restart in between):

and result of free -m command:

I just wanna know is this quite normal or just fine as of now ? my website visitor statistics for December,2014 is:

So seeking your advice on this regard, if it is absolutely fine or I should upgrade to 1GB asap or anything like that. FYI I dont think there will be any sudden traffic increase in future. and I have not so much of time to manage via command prompt as I know panel is also a burden over RAM.

thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• CentOS or Debian? 64-bit or 32-bit?

• @bertan said:
    CentOS or Debian? 64-bit or 32-bit?

oops sorry I forgot to mention, it is centos 64 bit.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2015

RAM is much faster than secondary storage devices. Linux is designed to maximize use of RAM. It operates on the principle that unused memory is wasted memory. RAM is used to cache frequently accessed files and programs.

To find out how much free RAM you actually have run free -m and look at the second line (- buffers/cache line). Until you tell us the output of that command we can't make any recommendations.

Thanked by 1ianirban
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

As @Abdussamad said, the memory usage is fine.

If your website is loading fast and steady, most likely you don't need to worry about upgrading :)

Thanked by 1ianirban
  • @Abdussamad said:
    RAM is much faster than secondary storage devices. Linux is designed to maximize use of RAM. It operates on the principle that unused memory is wasted memory. RAM is used to cache frequently accessed files and programs.

To find out how much free RAM you actually have run free -m and look at the second line (- buffers/cache line). Until you tell us the output of that command we can't make any recommendations.

I have included the free - m result.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@ianirban said:
    I have included the free - m result.

You are only needing half of your available RAM :)

• @Nyr said:
    You are only needing half of your available RAM :)

sorry dude, did not get you. can you please explain a bit ?

• Yup you have plenty of free RAM. I suggest running free -m when traffic is at its peak. Remember it's the second line that matters.

Also keep a close eye on logs. If it runs out of memory it will log in /var/log/messages most likely. Apache logs will also tell you if you are hitting max clients. That isn't so bad if it happens occasionally but if it becomes a regular occurrence you will have raise maxclients and that will require more RAM.

Thanked by 1ianirban
  • @Abdussamad said:
    Yup you have plenty of free RAM. I suggest running free -m when traffic is at its peak. Remember it's the second line that matters.

Also keep a close eye on logs. If it runs out of memory it will log in /var/log/messages most likely. Apache logs will also tell you if you are hitting max clients. That isn't so bad if it happens occasionally but if it becomes a regular occurrence you will have raise maxclients and that will require more RAM.

thanks a lot. I did not even bother to check it before ever. now I will definitely check it regularly. nginx is also installed. should I check its logs also ? can you please mention me the exact location of apache and nginx logs if you dont mind.

• ianirban said: thanks a lot. I did not even bother to check it before ever. now I will definitely check it regularly. nginx is also installed. should I check its logs also ? can you please mention me the exact location of apache and nginx logs if you dont mind.

You are using nginx as a reverse proxy? Nginx can handle a lot of concurrent users with minimal memory usage so that's pretty good. I thought you were using just Apache.

For centos the logs will be in /var/log/httpd for apache and maybe /var/log/nginx for nginx.

Thanked by 1ianirban