Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Windows Server 2012 R2 remote desktop setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Windows Server 2012 R2 remote desktop setup

I just bought a cheap Windows Server 2012 R2 VPS on OVH's RunAbove, but I don't know how to properly setup remote desktop. I've enabled remote desktop in Control Panel > System and Security > System > Remote settings. I can't connect connect to the server for some reason. I usually go with Linux, but unfortunately I need Windows for the application I want to run. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out. Thanks!

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited January 2015

you need to change the firewall/network security settings (via expert mode)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    you need to change the firewall/network security settings (via expert mode)

Thanks for your reply. What exactly do I need to change?

• DennisD said: Thanks for your reply. What exactly do I need to change?

I created my own security group and simply did the following

http://puu.sh/ecBMl/2ca895c496.png

you then apply those rules to the VM security set "firewall".

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Temp disable the firewall and try to connect.
    If that works then its a firewall problem. If not you havent enabled it properly.

• @TarZZ92 said:

I don't really get where to change that. When I enable remote desktop it says it will add an exception to the firewall automatically. I get this error on my Windows client, when trying to connect to the server through remote desktop.

I basically did the same stuff I did on my Windows 2008 VPS a while ago, and that worked fine.

• @MikHo said:
    Temp disable the firewall and try to connect.
    If that works then its a firewall problem. If not you havent enabled it properly.

Thanks for your reply. I tried turning off the firewall, but I still can't connect. So it's not a firewall issue, any ideas?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Basic things are that rdp users need a password.
    Check if services are running.

Guess you have some sort of kvm to the server? can you rdp locally? You should get an error message that its not possible. :)

• did you switch the existing security group? to the newly made one rather than default?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    did you switch the existing security group? to the newly made one rather than default?

I didn't switch anything, kinda left everything default.

• I guess I can install VNC too? Would probably be a lot easier.

• DennisD said: I didn't switch anything, kinda left everything default.

then whats why it aint working.. you need to change security rules to your own or allow RDP manually by adding an exception

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

Run Above has a firewall in place before the windows firewall IIRC, I think thats what TarZZ92 is on about @DennisD.

Have a look around the run above panel in advanced mode.

• @TarZZ92 said:

How would I do that?

• DennisD said: How would I do that?

@wych correct.

@DennisD

Login then go to expert mode then "access & security" Click create security group (then if you wish copy what i posted above)

after that save everything then go to instances (while in expert mode) under action select edit security group, remove default and put in place the one you created, after that it will work fine.

• I tried to get the RDP working with no luck on RunAbove, I even tried to edit the default security group but that didn't work also.

• i can show you how to do it via teamviewer if necessary ^^

• @zhuanyi said:
    I tried to get the RDP working with no luck on RunAbove, I even tried to edit the default security group but that didn't work also.

Same over here, I edited the security rules.

• DennisDDennisD Member
    edited January 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    i can show you how to do it via teamviewer if necessary ^^

That'd be great, do you have skype or should I give you the details via PM. :P

• PM me.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2015

@DennisD said:
    Same over here, I edited the security rules.

I ended up just log in every time I need to use it and then hit on Launch Remote Desktop and to use the VNC there. The programs I am running there are mostly automated and I probably only logs in like once a month.

Also, keep in mind the Win 2012 is an evaluation copy and will expire after 180 days.

• @zhuanyi

i can help you too, just PM me.

i can help you via teamviewer or join.me

Thanked by 2DennisD zhuanyi
  • Thanks for helping me TarZZ92, works like a charm now. Cheers.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • Guide how enable Windows Server 2012 Remote desktop in screenshots:

1. Go to Expert Mode

2. Go to Access and Security

3. Create Security Group (name and description doesnot matter)

1. Click Edit rules for your security group

1. Create Ingress rule for all protocols (it's allow any connection to your instance)

1. Go to instances and click Launch Instance

1. Wait for creating instance few minute, then when instance will be ready click More -> Console

2. Setup your windows, accept tos, and wait while you can login in windows.

3. When you login in windows you need to enable "allow remove access". You can do it by next:

Click Add, then click Advanced

Click Find Now, then OK

Then Okay

Then okay

THen Apply and OKay

You are configure totally Windows Instance, now you able to connect to it from your pc.

1. CLick Win + R at your Windows. Enter "mstsc"

Enter in opened window your server ipaddress

Click Connect. You will get warning about certificate (accept it)

Then enter your user name (Administrator) and password which you was create.

Have fun

• @desperand said:
    Guide how enable Windows Server 2012 Remote desktop in screenshots:

this only works when you are adding a new instance AFTER you changed the rules, how about changing security rules after you've already got an instance?

• you also need to setup windows firewall rule to allow rdp connection

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • DennisDDennisD Member
    edited January 2015

Pretty decent server with OVH (RunAbove). It's $2.50/month for 2GB ram, 20GB disk and one 3.2GHz core. It also includes a 180 days Windows Server licence.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@desperand no need to add admin to the login, it has access already

Thanked by 2TarZZ92 gestiondbi
  • @zhuanyi said:
    this only works when you are adding a new instance AFTER you changed the rules, how about changing security rules after you've already got an instance?

You can manualy change security groups in Expert mode (control panel) like you want.

Usually people can't connect to windows, because default security group configured to send OUTBOUT traffic, and NOT ACCEPT INBOUND.

• desperand said: You can manualy change security groups in Expert mode (control panel) like you want.

Perhaps you are partially blind, he already KNOWS this. hence why i helped him.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    Perhaps you are partially blind, he already KNOWS this. hence why i helped him.

=(