Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple shared hosting administration script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple shared hosting administration script?

komokomo Member
edited June 2012 in General

I would like to test (and maybe offer it for some friends) shared hosting on mv VPS. I don't need anything great and special. Users should have get a (web)folder on the server, ftp access to it and a mysql/postgresql database.

I am looking for a simple tool/script which should be able to administrate user accounts (add/remove/set username/pw, email, quota, account expiration date), *sql databases for user accounts (add, remove db, set/change pw etc), ftp account (every user should have one).

And it would be nice if there is some kind of control panel for users where they could view or change (password, email) their account data. And eventually a sign up page for users would be nice, but that is less important.

It would be great if it is free/cheap because I am doing it just for fun. I was already thinking about writing something by myself, but there are probably some nice tools you know. I saw a lot of phpHost***xyz scripts but I wanted to ask your for the opinion before I test every script out there.

Thanks

Comments

• ChiefChief Member

Cheap: DirectAdmin, and it's excellent.
    Free: Froxlor, used to be called SysCP and it's also excellent.

• TazTaz Member

For free ispconfig ain't bad.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@Chief: Yes, Froxlor is not bad, but it had some security bugs in the past the freehoster php-friends used it and got hacked. From where do you know it, because it's more popular on the german market.

• TazTaz Member

Ispconfig -3 mainrained by the same people from howtoforge. Plus light and really simple and multiple webserver supported.

• AsadAsad Member

Installed and had a look at this, it's pretty good.

http://www.zpanelcp.com/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

Control panels are plentiful. They're almost all ugly (personal annoyance). I did give froxlor a try recently just to test it out, I don't dislike it. I like the lighttpd support.

• komokomo Member

well thanks... I did not expect so many responds. I am now spoilt for choice ;-)

and yes, they are (almost) all ugly.

• gsxgsx Member

Using ispConfig on my own system.
    Also recommend zpanelcp.

• TazTaz Member

Zpanel gave me headache while configuaring bind ( 1 year ago) not sure how is it now.

• komokomo Member

I do not need most of the features (nameserver, mailserver, mailing lists etc...) I could create and administer everything manually on the shell or with a 2-3 scripts but I want the users to have a simple cp too.

• TazTaz Member

Usermin. Nice and simple.

• syamansyaman Member

Hrm...Kloxo?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@NinjaHawk said: Zpanel gave me headache while configuaring bind ( 1 year ago) not sure how is it now.

Its looking promising now, I toyed with it a couple months ago. Though you need to install some of the modules provided in the forum to be user friendly.

• TazTaz Member

@HC_ro will take a look again.
    @syaman kloxo Imho is a dieing project.( they are way behind for cento 6.)

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I've written a basic script for Lighttpd and Pureftpd once, with a little modification you should be able to set up a database-creation section and with phpmyadmin you should be fine then..

http://raymii.org/cms/p_Simple_hosting_with_lighttpd_and_pureftpd

I'm using this to host a few sites of relatives (picasa's photo export and such)

• komokomo Member

@raymii thanks, that gives me some ideas. I did not use ftp servers in years (only scp) and your script gives me some ideas.

zpanel looks interesting but it also looks like an overkill for my needs. but looking at code could also give some ideas.

• syamansyaman Member

Zpanel may look nice but it appears too confusing to install (instructions refer to an install script but download is a ZIP archive with lots of files and no install script) :p Gives up

• vanarpvanarp Member

Webmin (with Virtualmin module) satisfies the requirement. I have recently installed it and found it very interesting with simple yet useful UI running on perl code. In my testing it consumed ~110 MB of memory. I only installed it to get a feel of the tool but not actively using it.

I cannot compare it with ispconfig3 or others as I did not find any easy installation scripts for the same.

• Thanked by 2djvdorp komo
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

Isn't @joepie91 doing a hosting panel? Or is that only for managing servers, not the hosting itself?

• corpuscorpus Member

ISPconfig is good and it also support nginx.
    I use it for almost a year. Their support forum is good too but as others say is ugly ; )

• komokomo Member
    edited June 2012

openpanel looks nice.

does openpanel have some kind of "client" interface? ui where people can change their account data (email, password...)

or does any of the control panels have it?

• @komo said: does openpanel have some kind of "client" interface? ui where people can change their account data (email, password...)

Yes, same as the admin panel - they just use a different login.

• vanarpvanarp Member

what is the most light weight panel (wrt memory/cpu) anyone has used?

• SysCP / Webmin probably, we have some customers running it on Micro VRS/KVMs with 128Mb ram.

• @Raymii said: Isn't @joepie91 doing a hosting panel? Or is that only for managing servers, not the hosting itself?

He is making a VPS panel I think, not (shared) hosting.

• My vote is virtualmin/usermin. It's great.