Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: Something like just-ping/just-traceroute but for datacenters
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Idea: Something like just-ping/just-traceroute but for datacenters

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited June 2012 in General

Hey
I was just looking for a new VPS at the US east coast and faced the problem that i first had to gather informations about all DCs at the east coast, then find test IPs, do pings and traceroutes to see how the connectivity is and then had to check what providers offer services in the datacenters.

It would be nice to have a website that automatically pings/traceroutes your IP from many locations and then gives you a nice overview about the datacenter, ping, number of hops, etc. An addition would be to link to providers operating in the DCs.

What do you guys think? Would such a website be useful?

Comments

• camargcamarg Member

I've been thinking about modifying my bench.sh to include something like this

wget akamaras.com/scripts/benchbeta.sh -O - -o /dev/null | sh 

If you're intrested, let me know

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

@camarg said: I've been thinking about modifying my bench.sh to include something like this

I had more of a website, not a shell script in mind. (and with tests by DC, not by country)

btw you have 2 times " Austria, Gratz" in your script, the 2nd one is actually burst.net

• camargcamarg Member
    edited June 2012

Of course it would be useful. I use just-ping all the time for various reasons (propagation, geo-dns etc.). But I can't see the reason for choosing DC instead of countries. Users will connect to my server from various countries-locations, not datacenters.

• @camarg said: But I can't see the reason for choosing DC instead of countries.

Cause there are other factors (e.g. # of hops, carriers used) that are completly related to the DC, nto the country.

• klikliklikli Member

is this what you are looking for? http://ping.ms/

Thanked by 2Chief gsrdgrdghd
  • RobertRobert Member
    edited June 2012

I've got a basic site I've been playing around with which could be developed to do what you want - traceit.info . I have it on several low end boxes. I've been looking in to a way to do what you suggest. I.e. fire off a trace route to your chosen IP from each mirror, and collect the results. I thought about maybe some sort of message queuing system like beanstalkd or something. I might be ging about it the wrong way though.

• @klikli said: is this what you are looking for? http://ping.ms/

Thanks, i didn't know that :)

@Robert That looks really promising :)