Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting downloads on an online.net box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting downloads on an online.net box

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited December 2014 in General

Hi,

I've got one of these that i'd like to use to host some files.

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-kidechire

I've got no idea how much traffic this would result in though...

This leads me to the following questions:

• 1.) When do online.net start getting grumpy about bandwidth abuse?
  • 2.) If I have multiple Kidechire boxes how can I load balance and split the traffic or downloads between the two?
  • 3.) Any nice way to track that bandwidth used / number of downloads?

Thanks,

Comments

• Use vnstat to manage bandwidth use, as long as it's not gigabit 24/7 i don't think they will mind! I used to do around 700gb a day no issues.

• I don't think they'll moan but you're technically limited as 24 of those boxes are connected to 2x 1Gbps and the switches probably split bandwidth equally.

• @tr1cky - I think its 20 servers, 2 uplinks but what I understood is its 1 live uplink, 1 failover. So its 20 servers to 1GE uplink.

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • I have three of these boxes with online.net. I use them as HLS relay, so it would be similar to a file server. I haven't had any complain from them so far, though this is not 24x7.

You can use Cloudflare to load balance, they support the round robin method. Just point your dns this way.

fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.1
    fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.2
    fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.3

• @halczy - thanks - could you expand on that please. I've never used them so not sure what needs to be setup. Thx

• @halczy said:
    I have three of these boxes with online.net. I use them as HLS relay, so it would be similar to a file server. I haven't had any complain from them so far, though this is not 24x7.

You can use Cloudflare to load balance, they support the round robin method. Just point your dns this way.

fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.1
    fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.2
    fileserver.abc.com -> 1.1.1.3

What tool is that?

• @DennisdeWit
    @jeromeza

If you are talking about the monitoring page. It's NodeQuery.

Thanked by 1Kassem
  • halczy said: HLS relay ? what is that?

• HTTP Live Streaming

• @linuxthefish

Why do the rx / tx totals look way less than the estimated traffic column? How does it calculate?

rx      /      tx      /     total    /   estimated
     eth1: Not enough data available yet.
     eth0:
           Dec '14    984.43 MiB  /    1.22 GiB  /    2.18 GiB  /    7.95 GiB
         yesterday      2.94 MiB  /   14.86 MiB  /   17.79 MiB
             today    981.50 MiB  /    1.20 GiB  /    2.16 GiB  /    4.47 GiB

• i.word.com/idictionary/estimate

It estimates how much you will use if you keep the same usage pattern.

@jeromeza said:
    linuxthefish

Why do the rx / tx totals look way less than the estimated traffic column? How does it calculate?

>                        rx      /      tx      /     total    /   estimated
    >  eth1: Not enough data available yet.
    >  eth0:
    >        Dec '14    984.43 MiB  /    1.22 GiB  /    2.18 GiB  /    7.95 GiB
    >      yesterday      2.94 MiB  /   14.86 MiB  /   17.79 MiB
    >          today    981.50 MiB  /    1.20 GiB  /    2.16 GiB  /    4.47 GiB
    > 
    > 
  • jeromeza said: Why do the rx / tx totals look way less than the estimated traffic column? How does it calculate?

It's estimating how much you will use for the rest of the day and month based on your live traffic (vnstat -l).

You can also do vnstat -d to see daily bandwidth and vnstat -m to see monthly!

• @linuxthefish - Thanks.
    @Darwin - Thanks ;)

• So I'm using vnstat to pull stats for total amount of traffic.

Is there any way or tool I can use to find out how much bandwidth was used on downloadfile1 and downloadfile2?

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@jeromeza said:
    So I'm using vnstat to pull stats for total amount of traffic.

Is there any way or tool I can use to find out how much bandwidth was used on downloadfile1 and downloadfile2?

Web server logs

• jeromeza said: Is there any way or tool I can use to find out how much bandwidth was used on downloadfile1 and downloadfile2?

If you are running Apache you can put the logs through something like awstat.