Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail hosting for Custom Domain - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail hosting for Custom Domain

Comments

• mpkossen said: AFAIK it's $5/user/month.

Yep its $5/month and this is very expensive.

• RizelRizel Member
    edited December 2014

I grabbed the CyberMonday deal of MXroute about an hour ago. The invoice is showing as unpaid and they didn't reply to my support ticket yet. Let's wait a bit more..

Edit: About 1.5 hours from payment I received my service infos and my invoice is Paid. Fast enough :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Rizel said:
    I grabbed the CyberMonday deal of MXroute about an hour ago. The invoice is showing as unpaid and they didn't reply to my support ticket yet. Let's wait a bit more..

Fixed :)

Thanked by 1Rizel
  • Thanks for suggestions. I will try give mxroute a try i think, @Jar , hook me up :D

@Ikoula Im guessing thats per user. Which will be too much for my needs at this stage (its cheap, but i need a fair number of mailboxes, but for most part they will be idling).

For others who are wondering, reason im wanting more than 1 mailbox, i develop small apps, and i need the emails handles through seperate mailboxes (so the app can read/process the emails if required using pop/smtp). I will most likely have much less usage than a traditional user, but nonetheless, i still need many mailboxes =/

On a sidenote, if i have an app that needs to send a fair number of emails (thinking out loud here), whats the best way to do this? Does anyone have any experiance? Is it alright to send the emails through the smtp of the simple mailserver for the email address (gmail or mxroute or whatnot). I will obviously queue the emails, but if this is the common way to address sending a large number of emails in a burst, whats a good number to set on the queue to process (X emails / min ?). I dont want to overload or anger the mailserver provider, nor do i want to send 1 email every 10 mins and wait several days to process the queue either. Whats the sweet spot, or are there more reccomended solutions for this? For the sake of argument, lets define 3 cases, say the burst of emails are 1: 100 emails, 2: 10,000 emails, and 3: 500,000 emails (any more, i should be rich) :D.

I added some stock to the cyber Monday sale because it was so wildly popular. Grab one if you want :)

• Jar said: I added some stock to the cyber Monday sale because it was so wildly popular. Grab one if you want :)

Just redeemed the cybermonday deal. I didnt quite like the fact my password got emailed to me in plain text. Can you please implement password hashes please (and get back to me), this is ringing alarm bells left and right in my head. =/

edited December 2014

@decay said:
    Just redeemed the cybermonday deal. I didnt quite like the fact my password got emailed to me in plain text. Can you please implement password hashes please (and get back to me), this is ringing alarm bells left and right in my head. =/

Nope. Why would I email you a hash? I'm sending you the initial password in plain text. Your password is hashed on the system. Change your password :)

This should all be assumed if you've signed up for just about any hosting service.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mpkossen said: The thing is with having your own mailserver, that if it's down, you'll have to fix it ASAP or stop getting e-mail (with a little bad luck on the sender's end). Having an external service does hit your privacy, but it improves availability and reliability.

Usually mail tries for days before it bounces, no? I guess it depends how you define "ASAP" but I've had mail servers down for a few hours and no one ever knew.

• Jar said: Nope. Why would I email you a hash? I'm sending you the initial password in plain text. Your password is hashed on the system. Change your password :)

This should all be assumed if you've signed up for just about any hosting service.

Good to hear. nah i was asking to make sure the passwords are actually hashed on your end. I have registered to many server/vps hosts here, and i dont ever recall getting emailed my password (maybe once several years ago). And no, i didnt mean you should email me the hashed password haha, now that would be amusing (herp derp, here is a unreadable/unusable string, enjoy... haha). Im pretty careful of security, so i try atleast stay away from services that do not even simply hash the passwords (and believe me, there are more than you think). TY for the clarification.

Thanked by 1jar

@decay said:
    Good to hear. nah i was asking to make sure the passwords are actually hashed on your end. I have registered to many server/vps hosts here, and i dont ever recall getting emailed my password (maybe once several years ago). And no, i didnt mean you should email me the hashed password haha, now that would be amusing (herp derp, here is a unreadable/unusable string, enjoy... haha). Im pretty careful of security, so i try atleast stay away from services that do not even simply hash the passwords (and believe me, there are more than you think). TY for the clarification.

I suppose I could add a "Please change your password" line to the e-mail :)

• Jar said: I suppose I could add a "Please change your password" line to the e-mail :)

Hehe, yeah maybe. In systems i develop, i usually email them their username (email) and mention that the password is what they typed at registration. and if the targate audience is forgetful, then maybe include a "forgot password" link next to it so they can reset :) Thats just me, so long as you follow common security protocol, most of us will be happy.

I have had cases where people leave their email clients open on offices with computers unlocked. Specially if you come in after hours (cleaners?), they can simply search the mailbox for the keyword "password" and you would be surprised by the amount of systems they could get into with the results.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I would use mxroute but i simply find no trust in the US authorities - FBI, NSA and alike can read your emails with a simple court order, this is next to impossbile in the EU where an order must be a specific mailbox abd have a specific reason related to terrorism or massive fraud (weapons and alike - Austria never managed to get Google to release my data)

William said: i simply find no trust in the US authorities

Buzz kill man :P

• Yea, i love your service but the US base is simply a serious kill for me and i imagine for many others.

• William said: I would use mxroute but i simply find no trust in the US authorities - FBI, NSA and alike can read your emails with a simple court order, this is next to impossbile in the EU where an order must be a specific mailbox abd have a specific reason related to terrorism or massive fraud (weapons and alike - Austria never managed to get Google to release my data)

Got any suggestions?

Also again, on another note. Is there a good free/cheap webmail provider similar to gmail that has a lot of gmail like functionality like labeling/filters etc (suppose thats not much to ask these days), and nice UI, email threads, as well as having the ability to recieve emails from other providers using pop/imap? Im just stuck with couple of issues with mxroute+gmail at the moment, because mxroute does not allow forwarding to gmail (for good reasons), and to fetch using gmails mail fetcher, it limits a max of 5 mail boxes, and a delay of 30 minutes on average between fetches. Ideas? I want to have some sort of centralized web inbox where i can see all the emails of all my mailboxes, and till now it has been my personal gmail address, but its at its limit now.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited December 2014

@decay said:
    Also again, on another note. Is there a good free/cheap webmail provider similar to gmail that has a lot of gmail like functionality like labeling/filters etc (suppose thats not much to ask these days), and nice UI, email threads, as well as having the ability to recieve emails from other providers using pop/imap? Im just stuck with couple of issues with mxroute+gmail at the moment, because mxroute does not allow forwarding to gmail (for good reasons), and to fetch using gmails mail fetcher, it limits a max of 5 mail boxes, and a delay of 30 minutes on average between fetches. Ideas? I want to have some sort of centralized web inbox where i can see all the emails of all my mailboxes, and till now it has been my personal gmail address, but its at its limit now.

Fastmail, Exchange.

• decay said:

Also again, on another note. Is there a good free/cheap webmail provider similar to gmail that has a lot of gmail like functionality like labeling/filters etc (suppose thats not much to ask these days), and nice UI, email threads, as well as having the ability to recieve emails from other providers using pop/imap?

Zoho.

• Is there any free catch-all email service for custom domain?

• mxroute your only choice! Using them now for two weeks. much less pain than build on my own vps or dedicated server as I used to.

Thanked by 1jar
  • What's the difference between using something like mxroute and shared hosting which allows email accounts to be set up? also, where is the mxroute cyber monday deal, and is it still on? :)

edited December 2014

@hostnoob said:
    What's the difference between using something like mxroute and shared hosting which allows email accounts to be set up? also, where is the mxroute cyber monday deal, and is it still on? :)

Shared hosting includes email as an after thought usually. It usually isn't fine tuned and subject to constant scrutiny of the IP delivery reputation (more involved than just an RBL monitor). With MXroute you can be certain that someone is downright obsessive about the quality of email and only email.

Check my post history, I added some stock today :)

• @Jar what do you mean by "bandwidth" in your plan? the number of emails you can send in a month?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: I would use mxroute but i simply find no trust in the US authorities - FBI, NSA and alike can read your emails with a simple court order, this is next to impossbile in the EU where an order must be a specific mailbox abd have a specific reason related to terrorism or massive fraud (weapons and alike - Austria never managed to get Google to release my data)

Sigh, remember when people wrote all those encryption clients and plugins in the 1990s so we could encrypt our mail...and still no one uses them...

• RizelRizel Member
    edited December 2014

@CoolMoon said:
    Jar what do you mean by "bandwidth" in your plan? the number of emails you can send in a month?

I'm also curious about this. @Jar Does your service has any mails/min limitations? I couldn't find any info about this in the ToS.

• @CoolMoon said:
    Is there any free catch-all email service for custom domain?

Zoho, inbox.eu and a few Russian providers (mail.ru, etc...) are you only options. Zoho and inbox.eu are both good.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

@decay price is decreasing if you take at least 100 mailboxes but i understand.

i read quickly so it might already been said but if you want to process a large amount of mails my advice is to take a dedi cause if you use a mail service to burst you will probably annoy your provider and if you slow down your mailqueue it will be you who will be annoyed :)

It might be common sense but dont forget a MX rescue !! :p

• Ikoula said: i read quickly so it might already been said but if you want to process a large amount of mails my advice is to take a dedi cause if you use a mail service to burst you will probably annoy your provider and if you slow down your mailqueue it will be you who will be annoyed :)

Sadly no one commented on this =/ I actually want to know at what point a mail host would get annoyed (You, MXRoute, Gmail etc...). By that, i mean, if i were to need to send 10 emails, 100 emails, 1000 emails, or 100,000 emails, at what point would a mail host such as you would get annoyed, and how do i minimize the annoyance (my queuing it on my end i would assume, but even then, how many emails per min/hour/day?).

Ikoula said: It might be common sense but dont forget a MX rescue !! :p

O.o, i feel like i shouldnt be confused, but i am =/

• We use yandex.com. I recommend it very well! No problems so far and free

@CoolMoon said:
    Jar what do you mean by "bandwidth" in your plan? the number of emails you can send in a month?

I could probably cut that out entirely. You can tell I'm used to the VPS market. There is no stated limit to number of e-mails you can send in a given period of time. There is a limit to how much mail you can send to most services before they will rate limit you and tell you to chill out. That number is a moving target, so I avoid any direct policies. I just ask that you be respectful and please do not get us blacklisted or rate limited. If you do, we'll talk. As long as my clients continue to be respectful and kind, I will not implement any strict limit on this. Thus far everyone has been great to work with.

• @tcpdump said:
    OK, technically I wasn't following the SMTP RFC in my tests which would eventually be successful, if you know what I mean :)

You forgot to say HELO . :P

Thanked by 2netomx ihatetonyy