Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend UK/Europe provider for Xen HVM or KVM that allows CD-ROM selection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend UK/Europe provider for Xen HVM or KVM that allows CD-ROM selection

rchurchrchurch Member
edited October 2011 in Providers

I am looking for a lowend UK or Europe VPS that allows choosing CD-ROM installation, so you can use rescue CDs, repair the file system the way you want etc. I have one like that with Zazoom but I need one in the UK. I don't want the type you limited to select OS and reinstall. I think the type is Xen HVM or KVM.

Are there UK/Europe providers in the sub £3 range. 256Mb is fine.

Comments

• Wouldn't you need hands-on access for a cd install?

• Some providers will add an ISO to the list of the selectable ISOs if you ask them.

• There's lusovps.com. Just order their Xen HVM. It's $3 for 128mb but you can add more ram as needed.

• Looks interesting, where are their servers located?

• France, with OVH.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2011

Are you linked with them?
    How quickly do they provision, even at odd hours?

• lusovps.com
    From my experience instant setup

• I used to have a Xen HVM vps with them but I canceled it because the node I was on keeps getting rebooted. Then well, one day, they decided to back up the entire machine which literally pushed everything close to standstill because of the constant disk access. So I gave up using Windows (which was why I bought the VM for) and decided to install Linux using their ISO and it wouldn't boot up - their response was "How about we switch you to Xen PV"?

My general impression is that they are new to the business and learning the ropes so expect mistakes. But their support is pretty good - a personal email immediately after I signed up, most major downtimes was accompanied with an email explaining the issue and what they did. I just got tired of waking up the next day and discovering that the box "rebooted" again.

• Oh, about provisioning, it's instant. Even with the HVM. I added the link to my ISO when I signed up and received an email a few minutes later informing me that they are grabbing the ISO and putting it up on the host node for me. Pretty fast, personal service for a LEB provider.

• tortau said: most major downtimes was accompanied with an email explaining the issue and what they did.

very common in OVH server. i didn't sleep for 26 hours only for fixing my client issue. network/disk/etc.

• I have installed an Xen HVM system via VNC and had to configure networking statically. They are obviously new and learning the ropes, especially with HVM. They need more ISOs with some auto-installation ones as well.

Provisioning is fast though, instant I should say with Xen PV or OpenVZ, but with HVM those auto installers and automatic networking will be needed

Anyway in the LEB area, longevity and honesty are more important. So we'll see how it goes.

• FilipeFilipe Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Nice reviews here!

@tortau We did had a troubled way at first on our LEB node, but everything is working great now. Send an email to info at lusovps dot com so that we can restore the faith you've once had with us.

@rchurch we have listened to what you've just said, and we will be setting up some Auto-installers on HVM by default. I mean, why should a client have to wait for a VPS to be installed, even on HVM, right?

Thank you all

• @Filipe Thanks for the followup. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I already found a new provider for my Windows VPS and at the rate I'm spending money on buying random VPS just this month, I seriously should stop! :)

• tortau said: Thanks for the followup. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I already found a new provider for my Windows VPS and at the rate I'm spending money on buying random VPS just this month, I seriously should stop! :)

{humor}Do you need VPS anonymous also? {/humor}

• FilipeFilipe Member, Host Rep

@tortau, no problem! Hopefully your new provider fits all your needs. :)