Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH: The world's largest data center [video]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH: The world's largest data center [video]

marrcomarrco Member
edited June 2012 in General

OVH recently has begun operating servers in its first North American data center in Beauharnois, Quebec. The property is a fomer Rio Tinto Alcan alumnium plant with an airflow design reminiscent of the Yahoo Computing Coop design, designed to allow waste heat to rise and exit through a central ceiling vent. The building is located alongside a dam that will provide 120 megawatts of hydropower to support the facility. OVH estimates that at full buildout, the facility could house as many as 300,000 servers.

This video provides an overview of OVH’s infrastructure, including an animated overview of the plans for the Quebec facility.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4e97g7_qSxA

Thanked by 1djvdorp

Comments

• amazin

• CoreyCorey Member

That was cool but it wasn't as detailed as I would have liked.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @liam said: Oles is going to become very rich ;-)

He is already very rich :D

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

The tower infrastructure is a great idea, is anyone else doing that?

Best way to create space on a efficient footprint is to build up.

• I bet there next DC will be in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Côte_d'Ivoire

They are 2nd when it comes to the amount of Frenchies.

• nabonabo Member

@liam said: My thinking was in Algeria or Morroco it's more developed and they can lay an undersea cable to france. Cameroon could be another option.

I guess they've taken Canada for a reason: politically stable.

• marrcomarrco Member

My bet is for two more DC in the states in the next 24 months, one in the west coast and one somewhere in the central regions, so to reach more US population. This first DC is aimed at serving about 30% of US, so it's nothing more that a good start for OVH expansion in North America.

• @marrco said: two more DC in the states

two more? They don't even have one there^^

• lumaluma Member

I believe Oles said he was looking at a few DC's in the USA once the one in Canada is done. He mentioned something about West coast (most likely for better Asian access)

• AdamAdam Member

@marrco said: My bet is for two more DC in the states in the next 24 months, one in the west coast and one somewhere in the central regions, so to reach more US population. This first DC is aimed at serving about 30% of US, so it's nothing more that a good start for OVH expansion in North America.

One company to rule them all...

• nabonabo Member

@Adam said: One company to rule them all...

TBH, the US dedicated server market needs a competitor that is willing to fresh everything up a bit. So in this sense OVH is more than welcome.

• 30% of USA market - very bold.

• PhilPhil Member

From a recent interview with a French IT Webzine about OVH in Canada (sorry for possible mistakes with financial or others terms):

• Investment: 120 millions $ during next 3 years
    • Expected volume: 100000 servers for next 3 years
    • To journalist's question "After Canada, are you planning more datacenters in US ?", Oles says "No, OVH targets the US market from the Canadian datacenter."
    • Bigger OVH's customer represents 0.1% of annual income
    Thanked by 1Amfy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@HC_Ro said: The tower infrastructure is a great idea, is anyone else doing that?

They themselves were doing that :) see below

@Corey said: That was cool but it wasn't as detailed as I would have liked.

Here's a bit more detail on I suppose what served as a prototype to the "towers":

And here you can see the density, i.e. how the actual servers look at OVH:
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-2/msg33642/#msg33642

• lumaluma Member

@Dionysus said: After Quebec they should establish their presence in the Western part of Canada; preferably in Vancouver.

That would be nice as Vancouver has a serious lack of decent datacenters (premium or budget)

• nabonabo Member

@Phil said: To journalist's question "After Canada, are you planning more datacenters in US ?", Oles says "No, OVH targets the US market from the Canadian datacenter."

Just what I imagined. It is much easier for them to access the US market through Canada.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@luma said: That would be nice as Vancouver has a serious lack of decent datacenters (premium or budget)

Vancouver does not speak French, therefore OVH will not go there.

Quebec was the closest they could get to the US whilst staying in Francosphere.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • lumaluma Member

@Daniel said: Vancouver does not speak French, therefore OVH will not go there.

Quebec was the closest they could get to the US whilst staying in Francosphere.

Language does not really have that much to do with.

Quebec provided them an old factory for next to nothing, with an excellent power infractructure already in place with multiple sources of power already setup/easy to setup. With a Hydro station just hundreds of yards away.

Add to that the fact Electricity is dirt cheap there.

They plan on having a DC or 2 in the USA, I don't think you will find many French speaking staff there.

• @luma said: Quebec provided them an old factory for next to nothing, with an excellent power infractructure already in place with multiple sources of power already setup/easy to setup. With a Hydro station just hundreds of yards away.

They wanted to go to expand to Germany, so they went the closest they could to Germany while still being in France, Strausburg.