Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Asia Optimized"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Asia Optimized"

What do you - Providers - or you - Customers - think when you are talking about "asia optimized vps"?

Is geography some weird topic for network gurus?

Comments

• Asia Optimised generally means they have better routes to asian countries.

• To get more Chinese customer.

Thanked by 2Miky Cakey
  • I tried 2 providers hosting from LA, seems to suck compared to other. Maybe its about the DC, not sure

• Buying transit from a carrier that has the most direct path.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

None of the replies above.

The China optimized networks usually are dynamic mixes where carriers are added or removed for different routes as they become congested or not. That's what QuadraNet does at least.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Certainly means nothing for Australia and New Zealand. All the providers I tested in the states had the same or worse latency to AU or NZ with their Asian Optimised IPs. So I guess keep in mind Asian Optimised can also mean latency to some other areas can be worse...

Thanked by 2Miky bashed
  • "Asian optimized" seems to be one of the too many not-really-technical expressions which should be only understood as a marketing upper....

Basically it means "China optimized" and I'm not even sure it works!!

Thanked by 1yzyuestc
  • ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited November 2014

Asia Optimized means NOTHING with any provider, except for QuadraNet.

I'm the one who coined the term when I was still at QuadraNet and began advertising it and pushing it and DEFINING it.

Everyone else is calling their shit network that just because its based in Los Angeles or Seattle or something.

QuadraNet is the only one that has the providers and peering turned up with appropriate routes, and performs active BGP route changes on BOTH INCOMING and OUTGOING traffic to better optimize paths.

Everyone else just copied me - not the first time or the last time thats going to happen though.

I will be re-launching the term anyhow with my new setup and it'll be better than the current implementation as well due to some fresh ideas and automation.

• Had to check of course :-)

Ping statistics for 198.55.111.5:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 232ms, Maximum = 233ms, Average = 232ms

Ping statistics for 204.152.218.25:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 217ms, Maximum = 219ms, Average = 217ms

14ms between averages... From Thailand, not China!

Not sure how much we need to call it optimized, but thanks to show me one place I can find a difference.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited November 2014

Theres only so much that can be done -- its not magic.
    Also, if there are issues you need to contact them and let them know to check it out and see what can be done.
    Can't fix what they dont know about across the entire Internet...

• This is true for me when i had and lost a au customer

• Internap Singapore with their route optimizer surely qualifies as Asia optimized as well?

• Asia Optimized = EU / Oceania Degreaded. I have tried multiple Asia optimized IPs (from QuadraNet / others) and it had always been the same.

• vpsnine said: Internap Singapore

Not sure about other countries, but I don't think it's optimized for China.

Thanked by 1WilsonLee
  • I have a eu customer using my buffalo colocrossing vps and i moved him to my la quadranet accidentally and realized the connection was better, surprisingly very few hops, latency and speed is much better / faster.

@PetaByet said:
    Asia Optimized = EU / Oceania Degreaded. I have tried multiple Asia optimized IPs (from QuadraNet / others) and it had always been the same.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

Hello,

Usually, I consider an 'Asia-Optimized' network to have a variety of peerings to ISPs in Asia. For example, a major transit is provider is PCCW, and provides excellent connection to China Telecom/Unicom. It is very rare that you will find a provider outside Asia that peers directly with China Telecom.

Otherwise when considering other locations, it is preferred there is NTT or some sort of direct peering relationship or connection to public exchanges (HK-IX, JP-IX etc).

• The best solution is a CDN.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Asia Optimized + Cloud Hosting + SEO Hosting = Marketing Technique.

You don't like Pepsi? Don't worry they will make a another company and sell it as a "Fruit Joice"..

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • This only advertising trick for sell more US LA VPS to Asian folks. Nothing more.

Thanked by 1deployvm
  • They think Pacific ocean something like Mediterranian sea.. :)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • edited November 2014

What is "Asian Optimized Network?"

Typically, users reaching out to the USA from China or Taiwan have a hard time due to saturation of peering ports operated by Chinese residential ISP's. They suffer from high latency and packet loss which severely diminishes their Internet experience on websites hosted in the USA.

As the poor service is actually isolated on these users' ISP's it is very difficult for them to overcome. We have developed a specialized segment of our network specifically aimed at optimizing routing paths to provide Chinese and Taiwanese users with as good an experience as possible into the USA. Through specifically designated blocks of IP Addresses, a special selection of transit backbones, hand picked peering relationships, and a whole lot of continuous networking labor we have been able to provide the majority of Chinese and Taiwanese users with latencies around 200ms or lower and speeds fast enough to max out their residential broadband connections. We are constantly working to improve our possible route choices to make live changes should any specific paths become congested or problematic and dedicated a segment of our IP space to this allows our Asian traffic to directly benefit from these changes all without affecting the thousands of other clients who may not have any interest in this product.

Miky said: Not sure how much we need to call it optimized, but thanks to show me one place I can find a difference.

Our Asian Optimized bandwidth is not all about latency, it also has the ability for us to adjust routes in and out as needed. If you find somewhere that we can improve, we're always open to making adjustments as the AO network is segregated. By segmenting Asian Optimized IP's we are able to concentrate only optimal paths to these IP's and simply not allowing the network traffic to reach these IP's by any other sub-optimal route. We are able to make changes on the fly to compensate for any surprise issues which may popup with any one specific route.

We take business sourced from Asia seriously and will continue to work to provide excellent service. For more information, please contact us at [email protected].

• That sounds good Adam.

I wonder who wrote all that. COUGH COUGH.

Hi.

• Whoever wrote it, it's been considered good enough to C/P or scrape..... :)
    https://www.google.ca/search?q="As+the+poor+service+is+actually+isolated+on+these+users"

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG