Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Fedora Now
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using Fedora Now

CoreyCorey Member
edited June 2012 in General

I'm using fedora now, and I've got to say it seems a lot snappier than windows 7. Seems like I keep a consistent connection to the wireless internet as well when I didn't in windows 7. One weird thing though is that my wireless light on my HP-DV-7 is blinking crazy orange(inactive) to blue(active), seems like it does this when there is wireless activity. Switched from Dreamweaver to Komodo Edit for coding, using photoshop portable version under wine.

Share your thoughts, any reason I shouldn't be using fedora?

Comments

• nabonabo Member

I'd say to each his own. So: have a lot of fun with it :-)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Had a similar problem with my Dell notebook and Ubuntu... The wireless light was blinking crazy, never seen it on windows.

• gsxgsx Member
    edited June 2012

Buy a Mac. My iMac has a 2.7GHz i5, 1TB HDD and 16GB of RAM. It soars.

• blackblack Member

The only major difference between a mac and a PC on a desktop, is the OS. I'm not sure why you're listing hardware specs to convince someone to buy it.

Buy a PC. Mine has a core i7, 4 TB hdd and 32 GB of RAM. It soars as well.

• nabonabo Member

@gsx said: Buy a Mac. My iMac has a 2.7GHz i5, 1TB HDD and 16GB of RAM. It soars.

The question would be where you put the powerplant when being mobile with it. (eg. the HP dv7 by the OT is a notebook)

• @gsx said: Buy a Mac. My iMac has a 2.7GHz i5, 1TB HDD and 16GB of RAM. It soars.

Why would hw want to do such a thing? buying overpriced junk

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Fedora has been one of the slower distros i've tried in VM, and I remembered being annoyed at the amount of ram it needed for installation but Fedora in itself seem like a solid distro. Some see it as a the ginny pig for Redhat where they test stuff on it before deciding whether to put in Redhat, but that's fine, Fedora is still known as one of the most secure linux distros. Also this isn't to knock it but personally RPM packages annoy me :)

• CoreyCorey Member

He specified the GHZ of his processor like that matters... and the size of his HD like that matters, and the size of his ram like that matters....

If I were boasting about my desktop I would say it had a core i5 760 (model number there so u know the capability and architecture ), a 300gb wd raptor with 110MB/s IO .. didn't test iops but that is more info than the size... 4GB DDR3 @ 1333... no cas latency here but that's more info than just the size.

• Each distro has it's pros and cons depending on the intended use. Lets not start a distro war on this forum. There are thousands of threads on other forums that already answer this question ad nauseum.

• CoreyCorey Member

@rajprakash personally i don't care to go to all those forums and read for hours. i was just starting conversation

@taipres why do you hate rpm?

• @Corey if you won't take the time to search for the answer to your question, why should others bother taking the time to answer your question here?

• @Corey said: @taipres why do you hate rpm?

I don't hate it, I just find RPM's tend to fight with me more than deb :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@taipres i think you just like the ease of deb :)
    @rajprakash you are the exact definition of an elitist. why would anyone EVER ask a question if that were the case. SURELY all questions have been asked before? Sometimes people just want to be social and participate in a conversation rather than being an elitist hermit and never asking anyone about anything. What would be the point of having a 'teacher' in school? We should all be able to look in the books for the answers right? They could pay someone an entirely different (and lower) wage to just be in the classroom to discipline and hand out tests.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Corey I used Fedora for a little bit on a VPS. It ran well and only used 7mb of ram!
    But the software I wanted wasn't supported by Fedora so I switched it to Debian.
    Although you using it makes me want to give it another try.

@rajprakash he's just asking other people for their opinion dude. I mean the first comment under his was:

@nabo said: I'd say to each his own. So: have a lot of fun with it :-)

I'm sure this topic was never going towards a distro war.

• @Corey,

Really it is each to their own. I personally love starting with a fresh install of Gentoo and compiling everything into my build, but that is me. I am nuts afterall.

• gsxgsx Member

@Corey Actually, I was somewhat trolling. I jump between three operating systems: Windows 7, Mac OS and Ubuntu. Windows is used for business and Visual Studio, Mac is for web-based development and graphic design and Ubuntu is the server platform.

• KairusKairus Member

I use Fedora on my laptop, it works great for me. I've tried a few different distros, and just ended up sticking with Fedora. I like that it's more bleeding edge than Ubuntu and some of the other popular desktop *nix distros. Arch is more up my alley, but I don't have the time/interest in setting it up

• I'm not an elitist, I'm just saying that asking a question like "any reason I shouldn't use distro xyz?", without listing any Corey specific requirements of a distro that would allow us to comment on better/worse determination of many Fedora specific design details, is kinda useless. We ask people on WHT who say "recommend me best host for my needs!", "well, what are your requirements?".

How do I comment on why you shouldn't use it, if I don't know what you need it for? I infer you need a desktop environment, on generally new hardware, so performance isn't an issue. But that's inferring. Without that listing of requirements from you, it's likely going to turn into a thread about the pros and cons of why each and every distro is the best. This is generally how distro wars start; everyone saying why their particular distro is the best. :) By the way, Debian is the best!

I'm not against the discussion at all. I"m just saying the same exact question is answered in a hundred other forums, so what's the benefit of yet another one on this forum that has nothing to do with distributions for desktop environments? This is LET, not LinuxTalk.

That's my $0.02, but I like Debian becuase of the package mangler :) I stopped using RedHat back in 4.2 days and jumped on the Debian bandwagon.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • CoreyCorey Member

I'm thinking about moving to debian because everything you want to do everyone says 'download this .deb package'. You search for ages of how to do it in Fedora and there are no answers.

• Yea, I hear ya. One of the things I like about Debian is that things just plain "work" (disclaimer: they "work" nicely when you use the stable release distribution). Deb "stable" is certainly not the latest and greatest versions of any individual software packages, but whatever version is included that in that repo just plain works with everything else in that repo. No need to worry about weird dependencies, or extra buggy cutting edge versions. :)