Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM does a VPS need to run a VNC Server + Google Chrome?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM does a VPS need to run a VNC Server + Google Chrome?

I'm planning to install VNC Server on the VPS. I will also install Google Chrome and using 2 tabs. 1 for email and 1 for searching.

My VPSs only have 128MB and 256MB. So I cannot test this. Can someone tell me how much RAM and CPU core does it need to run?

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I'm currently running this kind of setup on a 1gb RAM VPS without any issue. The OS is CentOS 6.5 x64 .

• vonlulzwegvonlulzweg Member
    edited November 2014

vncserver+ iceweasel

• I'm running vnc server and firefox on 128mb vps without any issue.

• @vonlulzweg naughty boy ~~

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • I can run vnc and firefox on 256MB ram.

• I run vnc on 128 mb ram. Haven't tested chrome though.

• Why would people use that? Wouldn't your own machine be faster and more powerfull anyway? Andall the browsers do tab sync nowdays...

• @Raymii said:
    Why would people use that? Wouldn't your own machine be faster and more powerfull anyway? Andall the browsers do tab sync nowdays...

J want to Surf pr0n like a pro. Just like @vonlulzweg.

Thanked by 1shrubbles
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@davidgestiondbi said:
    I'm currently running this kind of setup on a 1gb RAM VPS without any issue. The OS is CentOS 6.5 x64 .

How have you installed Chrome on CentOS 6.x ? I've tried several times, it doesn't work ! So, I use Firefox there :/

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: How have you installed Chrome on CentOS 6.x ? I've tried several times, it doesn't work ! So, I use Firefox there :/

Try with Chromium. Chrome usually cannot be installed due to dependency issues. I didn't have any luck installing Google Chrome on any CentOS 6.5 system unfortunately.

• VNC + xfce + firefox runs fine 384 MB of RAM.

• 512MB will do but you probably want 1-2GB if you wanna use Flash

• 1gb min for long sessions

• @linuxthefish said:
    1gb min for long sessions

Or just use swap.

• @IceCream said:
    Or just use swap.

No you use swap...

Google doesn't support Rhel6, but you can still install it mannualy with the dependencies.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I tried that also but it didn't help. Any working tutorial around?? :-)

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I tried that also but it didn't help. Any working tutorial around?? :-)

Sorry for the delay, I create a script similar to this one. It's works like a charm !

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I use debian with iceweasel and xfce4. 256 is aplenty for 2 tabs and nothing else. However, this is in OVZ, for Xen/KVM, quite a bit of RAM will be taken by kernel and friends, I am not sure it will not start swapping like crazy especially if you leave it running and use flash and other plugins which are known to cause memory leaks.
    Google chrome usually takes more ram, but not by much and depends on content. If you are using fluxbox, jwm or similarly low footprint window managers, 128 might do, but you will probably need a non-oversold server, otherwise will start failing mysteriously.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I suggest X2go.

• Can VNC be secure/encrypted?

I don't know what you are trying to achieve, @Chuck, but wouldn't chrome run locally, using a socks proxy to use your VPS ip address do the trick?

Good luck anyway ;)

edited November 2014

ben78 said: Can VNC be secure/encrypted?

It depends on what you need. I use xrdp which is secure enough on non-standard ports. Otherwise, a ssh tunnel if you want good security or nothing remote at all if you are a fugitive with 1 mil bounty on your head.
    X2go is also an option, but mainly because vnc is heavy and x2go will perform better in a low resources environment.

• Maounique said: It depends on what you need. I use xrdp which is secure enough on non-standard ports. Otherwise, a ssh tunnel if you want good security or nothing remote at all if you are a fugitive with 1 mil bounty on your head.

Ok, thanks. By default, VNC's always unencrypted, or do some servers/client sypport encryption?

• depends on how much burstable ram vps has. here is a centos+vncserver setup whhich using around 600Mb RAM. If there is no swap, then u need this much RAM

edited November 2014

ben78 said: Ok, thanks. By default, VNC's always unencrypted, or do some servers/client sypport encryption?

xrdp uses rdp protocol to pass VNC, so it is encrypted, but, yeah, plain VNC should not be used over internet, IMO, not only due to encryption issues.

Thanked by 2vimalware ben78
  • Maounique said: xrdp uses rdp protocol to pass VNC, so it is encrypted, but, yeah, plain VNC should not be used over internet, IMO, not only due to encryption issues.

Ok, thanks :)

• how on 512mb@ovz limit the firefox memory usage to a level of 128mb@ovz box?
    i try this
    ulimit -m 128000 -v 128000
    FF does not start at all

Why would you want to impose artificial limits? The OS will almost always do a better job than you dealing with resources.

• firefox at work on 512 mb box takes up all the memory, and I would wish that he used no more, as if working on a 128MB box. is it possible?