Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Private DNS

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited June 2012 in General

Is it possible to setup a private DNS for my PC with 2 VPS Servers?
Currently i'm using the dns from my ISP, but i want my own private one

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited June 2012

I mean the DNS for network
    Screenshot: (dutch. but you will see what i mean)

• Ahh i see. and dutch is a realy weird language aint it :|

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@joodle said: I mean the DNS for network

What you put in there are normal public DNS-Servers. This option just disables the DHCP-DNS. What you do is: install a DNS-Server on one of your PCs and give it an internal IP. And put that internal IP in the settings of the two PCs.

• Ugh...

I want my OWN Private DNS, you understand?
    I want to use 2 VPS Servers, and put those IP's in there

But What do i need to install on the VPS to get the DNS working?

• @joodle said: I want to use 2 VPS Servers, and put those IP's in there

then you need to use that app i suggested or similiar.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited June 2012

That's called recurrsive DNS. You will want to check out MaraDNS and Unbound. But do bear in mind if your home has high latency to your VPS it might slow down your internet experiences.

• @joodle said: I want my OWN Private DNS, you understand?

Do you want your own resolver?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Daniel said: Most people don't use Windows Server.

Most as in not you?? :L obv are dutch friend uses windows (Look at the screenshot)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Do you want your own resolver?

Yes

• @DanielM said: Most as in not you?? :L obv are dutch friend uses windows (Look at the screenshot)

Derp, i want to use 2 Linux VPS Servers lolz

• DomDom Member

You can use something like DNSMASQ or BIND, but you'd still be using forwarders (ie: another DNS provider).

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@joodle said: I want my OWN Private DNS, you understand?

Actually, I just explained you how to do so.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@DanielM said: Most as in not you?? :L obv are dutch friend uses windows (Look at the screenshot)

I said Windows Server

Joodle was posting that screenshot probably from his home PC.

@Joodle why do you want to setup your own resolvers, your slow down your browsing.

• klikliklikli Member

I think that's pretty much like a tutorial for setting up an authoritative DNS, though yes, BIND can be set-up as a recursive DNS server.

• @joodle said: Derp, i want to use 2 Linux VPS Servers lolz

Use wine :D

• DomDom Member

@DanielM said: Look at the screenshot

That's his home PC ;-)
    Joodle essentially wants to create 2 DNS servers (using his Linux VPS boxes) for his home (Windows) system.

• Using your own DNS resolver will slow down your internet due to non-optimal result queries for CDNs and caching.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@DanielM said: Use wine :D

So, use Wine to run a DNS server when UNIX clearly has native DNS servers that are in every way superior to Window's DNS servers.

That makes sense.

• @Daniel said: So, use Wine to run a DNS server when UNIX clearly has native DNS servers that are in every way superior to Window's DNS servers.

"superior" This is simply your own opinon i use this software and its fast. just as good as linux if not better.

btw sorry for my spelling mistakes not had much sleep :(

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Using your own DNS resolver will slow down your internet due to non-optimal result queries for CDNs and caching.

OH!, i thought my own private dns, wich no one uses would be much faster

• @joodle said: OH!, i thought my own private dns, wich no one uses would be much faster

Nope. For example Youtube (and many other CDN providers) have servers located directly at your ISP (or close to it) to give you an optimal latency and bandwidth. When you use your provider's DNS server Youtube videos will be loaded from these servers.
    However when you use your own DNS server Youtube can't know your provider and will give you the IP of the server closest to your DNS server, not your home connection.

• Basically what gsrdgrdghd said. There's really no point in getting your own private DNS server to use.

• lawllawl Member

I use powerdns recursor http://doc.powerdns.com/built-in-recursor.html
    apt-get install pdns-recursor on debian.
    Though i have it running on localhost. But you can edit /etc/powerdns/recursor.conf and allow your ip in allow-from.
    It's really easy to setup.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox