Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long it takes for 1and1.com to register domain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long it takes for 1and1.com to register domain?

Hi,
Ive ordered an domain 2 hours ago and its sitll saying in control panel, "Setup is in progress.".

How long should I wait?

Thanks

Comments

• EdgeWebEdgeWeb Member
    edited November 2014

I too ordered a 1and1 .com domain a few days ago and had the same "Setup in progress." message. There's no point looking for any support materials or leaving a ticket, you'll get nowhere.

My domain became fully registered and I could change the nameservers about 24 hours after the original payment.

This was the first and probably last time I'll use 1and1. Their entire system feels broken and their management interface is a minefield.

• Oh gosh, please be careful with 1and1. They are evil scumbags.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/7706/1-1-sent-me-to-collections-need-help

• Takes 1-2 days,not instant, than they may ask for upload ID to them before domain registered. Suggest stay away from this registrar.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited November 2014

Like @Dragoon0309 said, be careful with 1&1. I had problems with them years back similar to the above.

• It's mostly a matter of knowing what you're getting into. With 1&1 it takes at least a day to have a newly registered domain go live. DNS record changes take 4-8 hours. You need to be sure to turn off domain auto-renew. You need to be sure to pay attention to your renewal date on your own. Don't rely on 1&1 to remind you in a timely manner. If you want to transfer out, plan ahead. It takes a day or so to get an EPP code, and 1&1 drags out the transfer to the maximum allowed time period.

All that said, I often grab their $.99 or $1.99 .com domains for stuff that's low priority or if I just want to try out a domain name as part of a quick money experiment. I've got a year to figure out if the domain and content can make money. If so, I transfer it to someplace reliable (Namecheap usually.) If not, I let the domain lapse and I'm out a buck or two.

Once you've figured out how things work at 1&1 (slowly, slowly), they're predictable and useful. Their control panel is agonizing, but if you're not using it very often and don't have any expectations that your setting updates are going to take effect right away, the CP does work, just at a glacial pace. And... like a lot of Low End services, don't hold your breath for customer service.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @nductiv said:

That is a VERY good description on how to use them. Neither they- or their control panel is that hard to deal with really. They are definitely dodgy, but it's quite easy to outsmart them. And, at least they give you exchange mail with quite a lot of space, included with the domain.

• alessioalessio Member
    edited November 2014

n/m

• Even if you disable auto renewel they will still charge your paypal or cc. And if you transfer your domains and don't cancel the contracts they will charge you to even though the domain is at another registrar. They never approve outgoing domain transfers so you have to wait the full 5 days before it's released. Dns changes takes 24 hours. Terrible service and shady company.

• @nductiv said:
    It's mostly a matter of knowing what you're getting into. With 1&1 it takes at least a day to have a newly registered domain go live. DNS record changes take 4-8 hours. You need to be sure to turn off domain auto-renew. You need to be sure to pay attention to your renewal date on your own. Don't rely on 1&1 to remind you in a timely manner. If you want to transfer out, plan ahead. It takes a day or so to get an EPP code, and 1&1 drags out the transfer to the maximum allowed time period.

All that said, I often grab their $.99 or $1.99 .com domains for stuff that's low priority or if I just want to try out a domain name as part of a quick money experiment. I've got a year to figure out if the domain and content can make money. If so, I transfer it to someplace reliable (Namecheap usually.) If not, I let the domain lapse and I'm out a buck or two.

Once you've figured out how things work at 1&1 (slowly, slowly), they're predictable and useful. Their control panel is agonizing, but if you're not using it very often and don't have any expectations that your setting updates are going to take effect right away, the CP does work, just at a glacial pace. And... like a lot of Low End services, don't hold your breath for customer service.

1&1 also likes to call you at 4AM asking you to try their "My Website" Service, even if you've unsubscribed from the calling list...

I've been told it takes 10 days, today is the 8th and they're still calling.
    Really 1&1 Ten days for me to get off a list?