Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improve traffic to site: SEO and Backlinks info
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Improve traffic to site: SEO and Backlinks info

What services do you guys use for SEO and improving traffic to your sites?

Backlinks? If so what/who do you use for this?

Anything else?

Just looking at increasing some traffic to some of my websites, and was wanting some guidance of from people who do this day to day basis besides trolling through lots of "SEO" guides on google.

Cheers

Comments

• MunMun Member

Write more content for your site. The rest will come in time.

• said: What services do you guys use for SEO and improving traffic to your sites?

I agree, original, organic, and useful content is what Google looks for.

• said: What services do you guys use for SEO and improving traffic to your sites?

Backlinks? If so what/who do you use for this?

Anything else?

Just looking at increasing some traffic to some of my websites, and was wanting some guidance of from people who do this day to day basis besides trolling through lots of "SEO" guides on google.

Cheers

I am not sure it it helpful for them, but i know that few hundreds of people uses http://linkprocessor.com/ every day for backlinks indexing.

Personally, i prefer to use organic traffic without seo tools. Never seen seo tools which gives real results. Search engines are too clever right now. To have visitors on non-commercial website, you need to have a good website with a lot of unique content :)

• My tutors always have said, content is king. There is enough spam on internet.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2014

Lots of cliches about good content and user satisfaction of your site... a lot of people focus their time on improving user satisfaction, retention and conversion rates.

Other than that be quite selective about advice and products out there. The 'previous generation' of tactics was acquiring links, which still works but you have to be a lot more selective about it.

It's still possible to deliberately rank yourself for mega-competitive terms like insurance, gambling and what not but be prepared to lay out money to do it.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited October 2014

@Mun said: Write more content for your site. The rest will come in time.

+1. In time, provided you also update/add content on a REGULAR basis.

Next: think outside the box (read: outside Google). Google is useful, to be sure, but there are many better ways to attract CONVERTING visitors. Two hints to get you started in this direction:

• think QUALITY, not quantity of traffic;

• think REPEAT visitors, not only new ones ;)

• decaydecay Member
    edited October 2014

Oops, should have specified better. Thanks for the content update suggestions, which is viable for most websites. But even then, my question is about, how to get noticed.

Here is a scenario. You are a nobody, but you made a great Tech blog. But since its a NEW website, your page rank not even there. So when someone looks up a topic, unless they happen to look up exactly every single word that matches with one of your articles (AAAAND just so happend that no other website with a better rank has even a remotely similar topic), they wont really see your site. You really have trouble attracting that initial traffic. The quality of your work might be there, just that people cant get to you. You can go through forums and spam/advertise your url, but thats not very productive of your time (you should be using your skills of tech-blog-writing assuming thats what you are good at).

Anyway, what i do is similar. I build tools and web based software that is useful for people (not everybody, but some people). Those tools does not require any "content" update(s), so thats out of the question. If people find them, they might be interested in the product/service, but with having such low SEO presence, its very unlikely people will find them. And its not worth MY time investing a lot of time/effort into SEO (since i would rather work on perfecting what i have made and/or make more such things), but im happy to pay for any services that might provide ways for me to improve my product's presence on the interwebs.

Make sense? First world problems eh?

• For example: I have a url shortner.

Cant really add new content on that =/

• Then don't rely on search engine and find other way to acquire visitors.

However if you are still going the SEO route, you can add rich content to any niche.

E.g, make a section on your site, blog, article whatever. Find 30 minutes a day to write about url shortener. What is url shortener, the benefit of using url shortener, find targeted keyword on your niche.

• decay said: For example: I have a url shortner.

Unless it's somehow better than the many others out there, you'll be swimming against the tide trying to rank for it. You really need a unique selling point to make it easier to market.

• We are going off topic here. Im not asking about methods of improving content and unique-ness. We all know that these are a must.

The topic here is about how to increase your presence in other ways. As i mentioned with the example scenario with a NEW Tech Blog, it does not really matter how good/awesome/unique your content is, theres is a very slim chance that you will show up on a google search result unless they spell out your website url (i have worked on sites where even spelling out the domain didnt put us at the top lol), or you pretty much went ahead and created a whole new vocabulary full of words that no one has ever written before lol.

• ricardo said: Unless it's somehow better than the many others out there, you'll be swimming against the tide trying to rank for it. You really need a unique selling point to make it easier to market.

Also just on this point. Maybe i have a unique selling point. Say i give a candy for every url shortened (i dont), if you search google for "candy url short", im sure an unranked candy url shortener will still not make the first page when competing with other sites with some matching words and much better page rank(s).

• All the techique have been pointed out for you on previous posts. Unique content,social presence, backlink, etc.

And yes, good/awesome/unique content still matter. However you can't expect them to rank overnight.

@decay said:
    i have worked on sites where even spelling out the domain didnt put us at the top lol), or you pretty much went ahead and created a whole new vocabulary full of words that no one has ever written before lol.

Then you are doing something wrong on the site, or the site have been penalized by Search Engine.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2014

If you search Google for "candy URL shortener" then you could easily rank for it, but no one searches for it. There's only so much you can do with a URL shortener and there's plenty adequate ones out there.

You need to define what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking to make money from it then we can look at methods that'll give you a return on your investment. For instance, I doubt competition in Adwords is all that high for URL shorteners.

The classical methods of SEO don't require you to have a great site, but they'll require you to lay out cash to rank for anything remotely worthwhile.

Several years ago my colleague and I ranked #1 across the board for insurance terms in the UK and it was worth half a million a month pounds a month to the client. They had to spend 20k a month to achieve this though. Another colleague of mine ranked #1 across Europe for poker, which is worth many times more and more was spent to achieve it. There are still 'technical' methods that work but nowadays people mostly focus on building a great brand/product that people will naturally mention or link to. Without a good site, the bounce rate can show Google that you don't deserve to rank for the terms you appear for.

Aside from trying to artificially boost your rank via acquiring links, you pretty much need to act like Google doesn't exist, they have enough datapoints to see whether you're trying to game them or not and unless you really know what you're doing- you may just end up getting an algorithmic slap. I'm a moderator at a long standing SEO forum and see people posting about receiving penalties daily.

If you're not looking to build brands then google "churn and burn", this method still works.

So, define what you're trying to do here and you might get some more actionable advice.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • I miss those days when you can easily rank by keyword stuffing and backlinking from Private Blog Network.

• @decay said:
    For example: I have a url shortner.

Cant really add new content on that =/

Yes you can, write about how it was built or how your api can be integrated into apps etc.

• According to a recent video I've received from Fiverr , They say clickthrough rate is what that determines google ranking and traffic. When a person searches for something lets say VPS among the results depending on how many users click on your domain ( if it was there ) google determines your authenticity and genuinity.

Then next point how ever is relative content and met tags respectively and a good description meta tag followed by a title which describes the Industry you're in.

• Quality content, Proper search engine submission, alt tag in images, proper use of social media like FB and Twitter are some of the tips which are important in SEO and rankings.

• Profforg said: I am not sure it it helpful for them, but i know that few hundreds of people uses http://linkprocessor.com/ every day for backlinks indexing.

linkprocessor.com is excellent service!

• Just saying: Google's Penguin 3.0 - http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/239162

Paid links. Google has been fighting paid links ever since the beginning. Spending money to get other sites to link back to you will quickly get your site removed from search results.

• Good quality of content plus images and videos on your site. Utilize social media like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter. Regular email campaign. Provide free yet interesting/quality stuff for people to optin to your email list. I'm a VA and my clients do such :)