Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FraudRecord Advertising?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FraudRecord Advertising?

Is anybody else having a LimeStone Networks advertisement come up for them in FraudRecord?

http://prntscr.com/4zxrb6

Comments

• Yeah, it's also showing in the reports page. I don't see why they shouldn't though, fraudrecord is amazing!

https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=dd553053532f94c7

Thanked by 1jar
  • Well in my case I sell/give WHMCS licenses to customers that are resellers and dedicated server clients. Now when they use FraudRecord they have a nice advertisement in their billing/support system with my direct competitor.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • The WHMCS plugin is open source if I remember rightly so just disable the advertising

• LeeLee Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    The WHMCS plugin is open source if I remember rightly so just disable the advertising

That does not address the point that @OnraHost was making.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    The WHMCS plugin is open source if I remember rightly so just disable the advertising

Only few providers give donation to FraudRecord, I don't see any 'Good' reason to disable advertisement of FD.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

DewlanceVPS said: Only few providers give donation to FraudRecord, I don't see any 'Good' reason to disable advertisement of FD.

Honestly if the donation option was made more obvious I would have done it already, guess its not required now if they are advertising, I do see @OnraHost 's point too.

• Well, if you don't want LSN's adverts there you could always pay Harzem to have your ads instead.

• Maybe it's because I'm not a provider and am not invested in advertisements or how they might impact my nonexistent business, but I don't really see what the fuss is about here. There are ads on LET and LEB as well, which also act as direct competition with the providers who advertise here. Same goes for places like WHT and VPSBoard. Why can't FraudRecord have ads if it helps support their website and development?

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited October 2014

AnthonySmith said: Honestly if the donation option was made more obvious I would have done it already, guess its not required now if they are advertising, I do see @OnraHost 's point too.

If enough people donated, there wouldn't be a need for advertisements in the first place. Current sponsors and the new advertisement barely cover the cost of the server alone. We couldn't even get a redundant two-server setup yet. Also the new advertisement is just a one week trial, it may not be there next week.

So far, the "bit.ly" link generated a whooping 7 clicks! I don't think you'll see many advertisers fighting each other to get a place. Ad-free, donation-needed days are coming back soon.

@OnraHost you may provide a modified FR module to your WHMCS clients to install that removes the HTML code for the advertisement.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Why not go for a "pay to remove ads" approach.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2014

Harzem said: Current sponsors and the new advertisement barely cover the cost of the server alone.

What is the costs may I ask? Last time I heard you were with a WiredTree? Now I see SecureDragon and I assume this costs less than WT.

You have 5 platinum sponsors + 1 gold paying $50/mo or more going by your becoming a sponsor page and whatever LSN is paying for inside WHMCS/FR ad, is $275/mo+ not enough for redundant setup between VMs?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

If you don't like the advertising, then don't use FraudRecord...? How hard can it be?

• @Patrick said:

He's with SD in Portland, which at the very least jumps server costs up quite a bit compared to your bog standard SD VPS.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Just to clarify, we only do the DDOS filtering for FraudRecord, we do not host their server. During the last outage they experienced from the DDOS attacks we offered to donate the DDOS protection and they accepted. We don't have access to any of their servers and strictly provide remote protection.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Pwner
  • @Harzem said:
    OnraHost you may provide a modified FR module to your WHMCS clients to install that removes the HTML code for the advertisement.

My offer still stands if you need a hand with anything.

• @hellogoodbye said:
    There are ads on LET and LEB as well, which also act as direct competition with the providers who advertise here. Same goes for places like WHT and VPSBoard.

People choose to come here...a marketplace where you expect that. Not in the backend of their system that they do ALL of their sales/billing + support and have no choice but to see everyday. In a sense coming here is a choice. Now I'm not saying installing FraudRecord is not a choice, however its an industry tool at this point and they should never be subjected to ads IMO.

@Harzem

Thanks! Though not to push you but may we know your operating costs are? Maybe we can pool some providers together or help you out hardware wise or some? You may PM if you rather discuss privately.

• OnraHost said: Though not to push you but may we know your operating costs are? Maybe we can pool some providers together or help you out hardware wise or some?

I have received several offers regarding providing hardware/network to FR, but honestly, I'd rather not depend on free hosting, but pay a provider properly and have the right to ask for 100% service as a paying customer.

Also I prefer that member companies do not get concerned about being served by a competitor. Most members of FR are low-to-mid-end providers from LET and WHT, while I choose larger providers for hosting FR. For example, Wiredtree never used fraudrecord and they don't even care about it. Perfect place to host FR without concern (although we have been kicked out due to DDoS). You can imagine the sh*tstorm I'd get if I hosted FR in ColoCrossing or something.

I'll host FR with a provider who isn't a FR member, and who doesn't care about FR. Softlayer or OVH or Rackspace, somewhere all FR members agree that doesn't try to sniff on FR data or try to manipulate it.

This is why I rejected all hosting offers so far, except for SecureDragon who helped mitigate the initial attack. I plan to move the reverse proxy service to somewhere else as well.

If all providers who offered to host FR for free, instead donated $10-$20/mo, we wouldn't be having this discussion and there wouldn't be a LSN advertisement in the modules.

By the way, LSN ad will probably be gone next week, it was a trial run that didn't bring many clicks.

The stats are very public: http://bit.ly/1xle99C+ and http://bit.ly/1sZuOPC+ a total of 12 clicks combined.

So, anyone who wish they could help, just donate something and I'll take care of the DDoS mitigation and redundant hosting.

• @Harzem said:
    I'll host FR with a provider who isn't a FR member, and who doesn't care about FR. Softlayer or OVH or Rackspace, somewhere all FR members agree that doesn't try to sniff on FR data or try to manipulate it.

>

This is why I rejected all hosting offers so far, except for SecureDragon who helped mitigate the initial attack. I plan to move the reverse proxy service to somewhere else as well.

Fair Point.