Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for suggestion on email hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for suggestion on email hosting

What would be the best option to host my own email ([email protected]). I already have a personal domain for quite long time, but never setup an email on that.

I am considering following:

1) Use third party like zoho.com (they have free option). The advantage is no headaches of self hosting, better spamming control etc.

2) Get a low end VPS (like the one recently offered by VPSDime, $7 / year. was a mouth watering one but could not grab it!), and install a mail server (postfix etc.), manage myself, server health check, spam control etc.

3) Somewhere I read an option to use postfix on our own server and forward all emails sent to our domain to gmail (or any other such email providers for that matter), that way we get more spam control.

which option you guys are using for personalized email solution?
Is there any better option than what I have listed above?

thank you

Comments

• imo go for #1. Its not worth the hassle if you are not wanting to do anything more than sending emails :P

• Try MXroute, it's been working great for me. (Also, all the mail ports are blocked on that VPSDime special so you can't use it as a mail server even if you wanted to.)

• @hellogoodbye said:
    Try MXroute, it's been working great for me. (Also, all the mail ports are blocked on that VPSDime special so you can't use it as a mail server even if you wanted to.)

You could route all outgoing mails through mandrill if privacy isn't a concern.

• I currently am doing #2 mostly for the experience and knowledge. If you go with the #3 route, check out ssmtpd. It's dirt simple.

• peeyespeeyes Member
    edited September 2014

wow..thanks guys for the suggestions.
    VPSDime I just put as an example (probably a bad example :-) ), yea VPSDime with mandrill could be also an option.

@catalystium I will definitely check your suggestion

• said: Get a low end VPS (like the one recently offered by VPSDime, $7 / year. was a mouth watering one but could not grab it!), and install a mail server (postfix etc.), manage myself, server health check, spam control etc.

Anti-spam is RAM intensive if you perform all the recommended checks. I would recommend at least 1GB.

Still I would recommend this one since you will be controlling all of the data. If nothing else you'll learn something.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited September 2014

+1 for MXRoute! Top service, haven't had an issue yet :)

@Jar