Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

256 MB, 128 MB, 64 MB machines
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

256 MB, 128 MB, 64 MB machines

Prior to ordering a VPS, I've been experimenting with KVM virtual machines on my PC. I can't even get a yum update to run in a 256 MB box. The minimum that works is 512 MB. Even a machine that's just been created uses about 122 MB of memory. How are you all able to use 256 MB, 128 MB, or even 64 MB boxes?

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

I've always used Debian for my lower-end boxs

Thanked by 1bertan
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The reality of the situation is that CentOS/RedHat simply plain sucks. Use Debian.

• I have CentOS VPS. It uses 25MB fresh created. How do you get 122 MB?

• I just double-checked. Turned on a CentOS 6.5 virtual machine, and free -m gives 134 MB used already.

So Debian is the one to use? I'll test that and compare results.

• @bertan said:
    I just double-checked. Turned on a CentOS 6.5 virtual machine, and free -m gives 134 MB used already.

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

• There is nothing lighter than Debian .. :) Even Ubuntu is lighter than Centos ... :P ... I am running Ghost+Mariadb in 128mb OpenVZ... :)

Thanked by 1bertan
  • @bertan said:
    I just double-checked. Turned on a CentOS 6.5 virtual machine, and free -m gives 134 MB used already.

Are you sure your ISO doesn't come with any junk like Apache installed/running?

Also +1 for Debian

Thanked by 2bertan ATHK
  • @bertan said:

You are using CentOS instead of CentOS minimal. My CentOS minimal only eats 15MB at fresh install. Then, after installing Nginx and PHP-FPM, it can run smoothly on 128MB box (2 WP site with some visits) :)

Thanked by 1bertan
  • there is a script by a member here before than can strip down centos. but still will not compare to debian

Thanked by 1bertan
  • bertanbertan Member
    edited September 2014

It didn't take long to test. Looks like Debian wins for LEB. On a freshly booted virtual machine:

CentOS 6.5
    Mem used 134 MB
    -/+ buffers/cache used 85 MB

Debian 7.6.0
    Mem used 144 MB
    -/+ buffers/cache used 25 MB

• Would CentOS even be that popular if cPanel ran on Debian?

• @hostnoob said:
    Would CentOS even be that popular if cPanel ran on Debian?

Centos will be like Windows-ME ... :D

• I can not recall the name. I can only recall the one for debian*. E.g. tuxlite and minstall. Maybe others can remember. It can be used on a 128mb centos it seems

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Chuck said: I have CentOS VPS. It uses 25MB fresh created.

It's not the matter of how much the idle OS uses, what people get issues with on low-RAM VPSes, is yum (the package manager) using too much memory. So while the OS will run fine, you may be unable to upgrade it or install a new package.

• @rm_ said:
    It's not the matter of how much the idle OS uses, what people get issues with on low-RAM VPSes, is yum (the package manager) using too much memory. So while the OS will run fine, you may be unable to upgrade it or install a new package.

Just disable the fastestmirror plugin and everything should be okay.

• bertan said: Debian 7.6.0 Mem used 144 MB -/+ buffers/cache used 25 MB

Debian can get far under 10MB

• For testing/experimentation put OpenVZ in a 1 or 2 GB VM and then create a couple 128MB or less OpenVZ containers. Two level virtualization isn't great in production but it's fine for this use.

• berkayberkay Member
    edited September 2014

I currently have a 50 MB VM, it's been running Debian 7 minimal, and also running nginx-php-fpm-mysql-phpmyadmin and a light ping daemon, never had a issue. Go with Debian, you'll be happy. I only use CentOS on VMware VM's cause of ESXi's non existent Debian support on old versions (or at least that's what the host said to me).

• I'm using a 256 MB box right now. I installed LXDE, VNC, and I'm running 24/7 a heavy(ish) program. I can even surf with the latest Firefox. All this thanks to Ubuntu 14.04 x86 Minimal.

• Are you using OpenVZ to reduce the memory requirements (due to shared kernel)? I did my tests with KVM/QEMU.