Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPanel vs Confixx
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPanel vs Confixx

nabonabo Member
edited June 2012 in General

Normally I just use the shell to admin my websites. However, for some projects I need a webbased administration interface. I'm used to syscp and Confixx as they are very nice, clean and easy to use.

Now, most US-centric providers seem to be using CPanel. Is there a specific reason? Cpanel is absolutely crappy in terms of its GUI and not very easy to use concerning its effectiveness (reach special settings fast and easy).

Comments

• jhjh Member

Confixx is only available in German

• Confixx its only german
    For something more simple look at directadmin if you want payd panel

• nabonabo Member

@jtodd said: Confixx is only available in German

Ah ok, that might be a reason. So what about other alternatives for CPanel? Pleask and he free ones like Syscp et al.

• jhjh Member

The only real alternative to cPanel is Plesk, but Plesk just doesn't have the functionality cPanel does. That said, my company uses Plesk exclusively as the reduced functionality means there are fewer ways for customers to break things.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

TBH, I prefer easy to use webbased control-panels. I can't get along with cPanel. It looks like it has its charme from the 90ies and never evolved much.

• jhjh Member

@nabo said: TBH, I prefer easy to use webbased control-panels. I can't get along with cPanel. It looks like it has its charme from the 90ies and never evolved much.

cPanel is web-based, and I actually think is looks pretty good. Plus if you don't like the look you can always change it by getting a new skin for cpthemes.com or a few other places. You can't do that with Plesk.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jtodd said: The only real alternative to cPanel is Plesk

Don't forget DirectAdmin. Also, Plesk is horrid.

@jtodd said: cPanel is web-based, and I actually think is looks pretty good. Plus if you don't like the look you can always change it by getting a new skin for cpthemes.com or a few other places. You can't do that with Plesk.

The issue I personally have with cPanel is that it's clunky in how it's laid out, regardless of theme. It's just not organized in a sensible way.

• jhjh Member

@joepie91 said: Don't forget DirectAdmin. Also, Plesk is horrid.

DirectAdmin is definitely inferior to Plesk

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jtodd said: DirectAdmin is definitely inferior to Plesk

In my noticing things, I sell 1 DA for every 5 cPanel licenses, fast forward 3 months, I retain 5 cPanel clients and lose 1 DirectAdmin. So, grip all you want, cPanel provides a product people want, DirectAdmin doesn't seem to. (Directed at nobody in particular)

• I prefer DA to cPanel

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: The issue I personally have with cPanel is that it's clunky in how it's laid out, regardless of theme. It's just not organized in a sensible way.

That's what I'm trying to say. In Confixx or Syscp you have much lesser steps to perform to get things done. Especially when it come to setting up email accounts, -addresses and databases and its users. cPanel makes me rather use the commandline and itself (if I could on that account, but I can't).

• Virtualmin FTW

• nabonabo Member

ISPConfig is also a perfect example of a perfectly organised webbased control panel.

• ZeroZero Member

I like DirectAdmin, though I have no problems with cPanel.

For free panels I like ispCP (I know it has not been updated for ages now, but it's simple and you can add things to the backend).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

cPanel needs a makeover for sure. It's ugly, calling it "intuitive" would be lie of the year, and it's bulky and unoptimized.

However, it's customizable beyond belief, extendable to your heart's content, and has the tools necessary to almost never have to use a terminal. Quite frankly, it's popularity despite it's shortcomings should be a hint to what is absolutely true about it. It's incredible. Don't dismiss it too quickly.

It's as terrible as it is great. I've no desire to use it any longer than necessary, but it is the best choice for me. If you don't need much, don't use it. For a few websites I'd pick the terminal every time, hands down.

• I don't care about what anyone says, I'd pick Kloxo any day over CPanel.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@nabo said: I'm used to syscp

I would suggest switching from SysCP to Froxlor. Froxlor is by the same team that created SysCP but is much more stable/secure and development is more active (SysCP is maintained by a single person where Froxlor is maintained by a team of half a dozen or so).

• VictorVictor Member

@KuJoe said: I would suggest switching from SysCP to Froxlor. Froxlor is by the same team that created SysCP but is much more stable/secure and development is more active (SysCP is maintained by a single person where Froxlor is maintained by a team of half a dozen or so).

+1, been using Froxlor for a small project of mine and it works great. :)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@KuJoe said: I would suggest switching from SysCP to Froxlor

Yes I did. Just forgot that Froxlor is the fork of Syscp and hence the namechange. However, I would like to see you offering webspace with Froxlor :-)

• subigosubigo Member

@miTgiB said: In my noticing things, I sell 1 DA for every 5 cPanel licenses, fast forward 3 months, I retain 5 cPanel clients and lose 1 DirectAdmin. So, grip all you want, cPanel provides a product people want, DirectAdmin doesn't seem to. (Directed at nobody in particular)

It totally depends on what kind of client you market to. I saw the exact opposite and totally ditched cPanel for everything. I have a few dozen DirectAdmin VPS clients that have been with me 3+ years and they pay around $50/month each. People who know their way around Linux will choose DA over cPanel every single time.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: It totally depends on what kind of client you market to.

True, I have a few hundred cPanel clients, many who have been around for 6+ years, while keeping 2 dozen DirectAdmin licenses active is a task. They probably prefer cPanel so they do not need to know their way around linux.