Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM node ram drop in solusvm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM node ram drop in solusvm

My KVM server in solusvm goes to about 70% memory/ram usage and then drops all the way back down to around %15. Does anyone know what's going on? It's done this twice the first time it went to 12% from about 70% and now it's at 15% from about 70% after adding a windows vps. I tried to explain this to soluslabs support but they just didn't get it. Anyone else have this happen? What is going on with the server memory? Oh yeah, and the memory drop happens after I ADD a windows vps, not after I delete one!

Comments

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited August 2014

Could be the memory pressure. The OS is caching correctly. Then you do something to create memory pressure. As programed, the OS may release the cache incase you need the RAM.

Maybe take a look at free before and after?

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

Do you have KSM (ksmtuned) running?

ps aux | grep ksm

KSM merges pages of KVM VMs and make it appear like you are using less RAM (in htop) than what you allocated to VMs in total. This is a normal and safe practice.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

@noosVPS said:
    Do you have KSM (ksmtuned) running?

ps aux | grep ksm

KSM merges pages of KVM VMs and make it appear like you are using less RAM (in htop) than what you allocated to VMs in total. This is a normal and safe practice.

That's not the only thing that will show KSM, check the actual kernel page son it:

cat /proc/sys/vm/mm/ksm/*

You should see a lot of "0" (about 6 of them) if it never ran.

• Thank you all for your help I have some readouts for you, sorry it took so long last time I checked the forum was down.

]# ps aux | grep ksm
    root       998  0.1  0.0      0     0 ?        SN   Jul19  96:12 [ksmd]
    root      3271  0.0  0.0 108604  1160 ?        S    Jul19   1:11 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/ksmtuned
    root      8157  0.0  0.0 103296   832 pts/0    S+   16:36   0:00 grep ksm

and

cat /proc/sys/vm/mm/ksm/*
    cat: /proc/sys/vm/mm/ksm/*: No such file or directory

Does the above tell you why my kvm server is going from around 70% back down to about 20% (i exaggerated a little at first)? Thanks again!