Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ClamAV - is this normal memory usage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ClamAV - is this normal memory usage?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited May 2012 in Help

I have a CentOS 6 VPS running cpanel/WHM. I installed ASSP Deluxe and as part of that setup, enabled clamav.

clamd is taking an awful lot of memory - 305m VIRT/272m RES is from top, and clamdtop itself shows 275MB in use. Before shutting down exim/clamd, free -m shows 443MB in use for the whole box. After shutdown, 174MB in use, which correlates.

I played with MaxThreads but that didn't change memory. The server has virtually no users (just my account at the moment) and gets maybe 4-5 emails a day at this point. Bouncing clamd makes no difference in its memory usage.

The VPS has 1.2GB of memory, so devoting 25% of it to clamd seems pretty intense...

Is this normal?

I am using the latest version.

Comments

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

I remember on virtualmin you can set clamd to stay resident in memory or load on demand.

Not sure if you can do this in cPanel.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Just checked clamdtop on SD's cPanel server and it's showing 137M.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

clamav taking ~300MB in my 512MB vps with ISPConfig.. :D btw those 300MB for swap used, not memory itself.. :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: Just checked clamdtop on SD's cPanel server and it's showing 137M.

Thanks, KJ - appreciate the info.

I found the "problem". By default, ASSP Deluxe loads a bunch of extra signatures.

See this:

http://www.grscripts.com/tweaking.html#8

Adding vps=1 to the end the signature cron job dropped memory usage to 138m.

So now of course it's a tradeoff of RAM usage vs. scanning thoroughness. Perhaps there's a way to use the memory-friendly signatures regularly and do a periodic full-signatures scan or something.

edited May 2012

Strange, I checked clamdtop today and my RAM jumped to 342MB. Not sure why it was so low yesterday.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

derail:

@Aldryic I sent you a PM

=)

/derail

• aubsaubs Member

That's a bit freaky, @netomx ... LoL

Yea, I had the same issues with Virtualmin, even if I set it to load on demand. I don't use mail though, Google Apps for domains (free) is far easier and likely more robust.

Thanked by 1netomx

@aubs said: I don't use mail though, Google Apps for domains (free) is far easier and likely more robust.

I've considered that too but seems like a lot of people want their mail. I will likely offer customers either traditional mail or a one-click "change my MX for Google" in their panel. Unfortunately, Google doesn't expose an API to setup accounts as far as I know.

http://www.startupsaga.com/2012/a-hosting-company-that-doesnt-offer-email

@raindog308 said: I've considered that too but seems like a lot of people want their mail. I will likely offer customers either traditional mail or a one-click "change my MX for Google" in their panel. Unfortunately, Google doesn't expose an API to setup accounts as far as I know.

Well, I do offer Google mails too... I offer them the "payed" email and the "free" with Google... and guess what choice they select?

• aubsaubs Member
    edited May 2012

@raindog308 ... My own Google Mail account, which I've had since well before I decided to expand into the VPS lifestyle ....
    Is currently 58% full, Using 5,954 MB of your 10,248 MB

-- That's ONE mailbox on the domain. Google Apps for Domains (Free version) offers at least 5 accounts.

... Would you provide a mail system as robust and with a capacity as that? - I'm sure most hosts won't -- I'm sure none can. I would always recommend Gmail, unless there is a valid reason against it.

Also, Google Mail / Google Apps Mail ... has a "Paid-for" or "Free" service. I assume @netomix offers internal mail (at a charge) or Google Apps for Domains for FREE?

You are preaching to the choir - I love Google Mail and recommend it.

@raindog308 said: I love Google Mail and recommend it.

I wish the GMail Android app didn't suck horribly and I wish the GMail web app offered real filters/rules and folders. GMail is great as long as you don't use Google products to access it. :(

• yomeroyomero Member

@KuJoe said: GMail is great as long as you don't use Google products to access it. :(

I use the web mail :P and I love it.

Unfortunately they discontinued the app for Symbian =/
    So, I am stuck about mail in my "old" phone

@aubs said: Also, Google Mail / Google Apps Mail ... has a "Paid-for" or "Free" service. I assume @netomix offers internal mail (at a charge) or Google Apps for Domains for FREE?

That's right. I charge on configuration and hosting.

• specklspeckl Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe Sounds to me that you don't know how to properly use Gmail.

edited May 2012

@speckl said: Sounds to me that you don't know how to properly use Gmail.

I wish that were the case but after years of searching I guarantee it's not user error. :( If you can find a way to use folders and not labels or how to stop processing rules after conditions are met or how to stop treating unrelated e-mails as the same conversation please let me know.

• @KuJoe said: I wish the GMail Android app didn't suck horribly and I wish the GMail web app offered real filters/rules and folders. GMail is great as long as you don't use Google products to access it. :(

The GMail Android App is pretty good, whats wrong with it.

• aubsaubs Member

The app for Android 4 is a lot better, BUT it refreshes on open and I can't find a way to disable it.

Lol in Gmail settings, you can now disable threading of conversations.

If a filter isn't working properly, change it or split it into two. Don't think you can stop processing after one rule is met.

• @aubs said: The app for Android 4 is a lot better, BUT it refreshes on open and I can't find a way to disable it.

Does not refresh on open here if its state is being stored. Whats wrong with it auto refreshing anyway?

• aubsaubs Member

It's like it will sync when opened the first time, then if you open it a number of times after, it doesn't. I guess it has a timer of some sort, but I can't find anywhere to change it.

I don't want apps to auto sync unless I tell them to. I'm in a crap signal area (except when on WiFi at home) and it can often take a while to sync.

edited May 2012

@aubs said: Lol in Gmail settings, you can now disable threading of conversations.

Where is this option in the GMail app for Android? My biggest issue is I have some conversations that are 70 e-mails long on my phone simply because the first 5 characters in the subject match (different from e-mails, different to e-mails, different dates, different bodies, and the rest of the subject is completely different).

@aubs said: Don't think you can stop processing after one rule is met.

Which is the major flaw in their filters.

• aubsaubs Member

Can't say I've ever had any issues with miss-conversationing of email. You have to do it in the full web version I would have thought, though I don't know if it is reflected in the mobile app though. This may be of interest from Google:

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:36 AM PDT The following features are now available to domains following the Scheduled Release track: - Docs: Comments and discussions available to Government Edition domains. - Gmail: Graduation of three labs: Message translation, Smart Mute and Title Tweaks.

One way around it is to use the default mail app instead of the Gmail app as this doesn't thread emails.

@KuJoe said: Which is the major flaw in their filters.

Yes, GMail is one of those Apple-like services - customization is not one of its strengths.

@KuJoe said: Trolls on my wall and I really wonder why, they just jelly of my peanut butter rhymes.

MC Chris :-)

An old quote I've always liked: "Trolls are just chopped walnuts in the batter of eternity."

@aubs said: I don't know if it is reflected in the mobile app though.

It's not unfortunately. Any changes made in GMail desktop are not reflected in the GMail Android app from what I can tell.

@aubs said: One way around it is to use the default mail app instead of the Gmail app as this doesn't thread emails

That's Google's "workaround" although the default mail app doesn't support push e-mail and mine is pretty flaky with the 1 e-mail I do check with it. Unfortunately since I use my e-mail for critical stuff I can only use push e-mail or it's worthless to check at all.