Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to? Increase Disk Size at KVM SolusVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to? Increase Disk Size at KVM SolusVM?

WillGrehemWillGrehem Member
edited August 2014 in Help

Hello,

I already got a KVM VPS , but now my provider upgraded my DISK size. But i already configured the VPS very well and i dont want to reinstall the OS.

So how to.. add the + DISK to my VPS? (centos 6.5)

Regards
Will

Comments

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

If I understand your requirement correctly, resize2fs is probably what you are looking for.

• @noosVPS said:
    If I understand your requirement correctly, resize2fs is probably what you are looking for.

Possible without data loss? Or is there any guide?

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

On ext4, live extend is possible. For ext3 and below I suggest doing this in single user mode or so with on an unmounted partition.
    This is what you should do:

1. Use fdisk to delete and recreate partition which you need to extend. The last cylinder will be new (extended) value.
    2. Use resize2fs to extend ext4 partition. Usage is simple, resize2fs <partition>.

If done properly, there won't be any data loss (trust me).

• serverianserverian Member
    edited August 2014

Easiest way for a newbie is to mount a GParted Live ISO and boot. Expand the partition via GUI. Then lvextend if using LVM, and then resize2fs.