Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know a good way to stream videos from a Debian server to an Android Device?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know a good way to stream videos from a Debian server to an Android Device?

MP4, MKV and AVI videos

On a PC you can just open the URLs in VLC, but this doesn't work in Android's VLC Player (I think because it doesn't support webserver passwords.

Comments

• Plex (or MX Player if you don't want all that - can open network streams). :D

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Silvenga said:
    Plex (or MX Player if you don't want all that - can open network streams). :D

Thanks, I just tried MX Player and that wouldn't allow me to play a password protected HTTP stream either :(

What would be ideal is a video player that lets you set a HTTP URL (for a directory) and store a username/password and when you load the app you can select any video and it will stream it.

I guess I will have to look into Plex. Do you know how much RAM it uses?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    I guess I will have to look into Plex. Do you know how much RAM it uses?

http://user:password@server/file.mp4

Works for me

Thanked by 2hostnoob ihatetonyy
  • hostnoob said: Do you know how much RAM it uses?

Less than 20MB on my server. You might also try Samba shares too. Have you tried accessing your server through a browser, then clicking a video. Hopefully the browser will detect the link and open it in MX Player (and maybe provide Basic Auth).

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @netomx said:
    Works for me

You're right, I was just expecting a prompt for the user/pass.

Thanks

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Plex worked great.