Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't trust speedtest / looking glass files.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Don't trust speedtest / looking glass files.

I was testing looking glass of different vps providers and I found that one vps provider had extremely fast speed (Hard to believe to be honest). Later on I found that it was just a Gzip compression trick.

I just made a demo so you can check it :

http://developer.com.pk/speedtest/100mb.test (Cheat File)

http://developer.com.pk/speedtest/another.test (Orignal File)

Maybe most of you already know this, but I believe it will be helpful for some people. Turn Gzip/Compression off before trying speedtest / looking glass files.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thanked by 2Mark_R NanoG6

Comments

• Just use wget for speed testing? It doesn't send 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' by default.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • BBTNBBTN Member
    edited August 2014

Thanks Hammad, but I also always use wget or axel for speedtest files. :)

Thanked by 2vpsnerds netomx
  • curl also doesn't use compression by default :)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

It was probably an honest oversight. The sysadmin who enabled gzip for their web server probably wasn't thinking about the potential for affecting the results of a speed test file.

• Now replace that file with one that's 100GB of /dev/zero and gzip compressed and fill up people's hard drives in seconds (when using a browser to download)

Thanked by 2Mark_R HammadKhan
  • @awvnx said:
    Now replace that file with one that's 100GB of /dev/zero and gzip compressed and fill up people's hard drives in seconds (when using a browser to download)

That's not even funny, that's being a dick.

• FirstVM_comFirstVM_com Member
    edited August 2014

Interesting. never heard of that.