Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google now gives sites using SSL a ranking boost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google now gives sites using SSL a ranking boost

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4693628.htm

Expect a rush for SSL certificates and likely dedicated IPs. Most are under the impression that a unique IP is required.

Comments

• wychwych Member

Sick of reading this already.

Thanked by 4ATHK netomx mike0000 orak
  • ztecztec Member

Yeah, read this a million times already today.
    Still good that you posted this though.

• Yeah, it's more an SEO related topic but it definitely seems relevant to providers here, at least.

• I've been running a SSL only site for the past 6 months and I did see a ~400% increase in Google search traffic after I saw this update. Interesting.

• I just heard of this news from cloudflare.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited August 2014

"Sick of reading this already."

Yep

• That step from Google doesn't make sense to me. SSL is not needed everywhere, for many sites it would be useless overhead :(

Also, probably for Google cacert.org doesn't count as valid. Hmm wait, did Google recently begin to sell SSL certs? That would make a lot of sense.

• Google said it makes less than 1% of difference in their rankings, so it's just a minor nudge. If you have a valid SSL cert it just means you put more effort in making your website and shelled out some money for it too. I'd say that gives some small accreditation to the website.

• After the NSA stuff came to light, Google made a move to SSL all the things. This is a great way for them to get that message out there. Tell a bunch of webmasters that if they use SSL their sites get a slight boost (even if it's just a 0.000001% boost) and they'll all jump on it.

It's a move to help secure the web a bit more. A lot of sites don't need SSL, but a lot do. There are dozens of sites I use that require a login but don't have an SSL cert, and adding one couldn't hurt (at least on portions of the site).

I think it's a good move for Google and the web at large, but a lot of people are going to go overboard with it.

• chrisp said: Hmm wait, did Google recently begin to sell SSL certs? That would make a lot of sense.

No, they didn't.

• Uhhhhh, i have to go add... something.... brb.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2014

@awvnx said:
    Google said it makes less than 1% of difference in their rankings, so it's just a minor nudge. If you have a valid SSL cert it just means you put more effort in making your website and shelled out some money for it too. I'd say that gives some small accreditation to the website.

They said a few months ago they were thinking about this. Now they are starting to do it. Looks quite likely they will gradually up the weighting.

Within the next few months you will probably see millions of sites redirecting to ssl. I don't think it's going to do any good with search relevancy when everyone just switches to ssl...including garbage sites who steal content or try game the search engines. Just another small expense for everyone. Great if you are in the ssl business though. Would not be surprised to see a price increase shortly across the board.

Oh, it's also going to create more of a strain on the remaining inventory of IPv4 at the worst possible time. Just after they gave out the last remaining ones. I know there are ways around the requirement for shared hosting if you don't care about WinXP users. However, the best most well used and reliable method with no question marks is still the requirement of one IP for one certificate. That is the only way a lot of shared hosts still do it.

• next IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE by Google would be:

Google now gives sites using IPv6 a ranking boost