Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the most secure, low memory usage SMTP server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is the most secure, low memory usage SMTP server?

I just want something small, but secure I can use to send a couple of emails a month

Comments

• I use Postfix and it seems to run fine, even on my 128MB box.

• exim

• If you're only sending a few emails per month, you could use sSMTP to send via an External SMTP server.

Thanked by 1Droid
  • @nunim said:
    If you're only sending a few emails per month, you could use sSMTP to send via an External SMTP server.

So this is just to send email (using PHP's mail() function) and it doesn't receive email or anything like that?

• hostnoob said: So this is just to send email (using PHP's mail() function) and it doesn't receive email or anything like that?

Yes, or you could use Mandrill for free 12000 email/month

• What's default on your distro? Use that.

Postfix can live with any amount of mail you send at 4MB. It also has sane configurations.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Yes, or you could use Mandrill for free 12000 email/month

This.
    Administering a mailserver just for a couple of emails per month is a waste of time and effort.

• OpenSMTPd?

• Postfix is default at the moment. It uses few megabytes of memory.
    Exim and Sendmail uses a bit more.

• Profforg said: Exim and Sendmail uses a bit more.

Really? I always thought Postfix was the heaviest, although never tested. I use Postfix for the unparalleled flexibility.

• http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison

That's always a good read...

• M66BM66B Veteran

For the lowest memory consumption and still having an outbound queue I would use nullmailer. If you can do without an outbound queue, you could use ssmpt.

To save you all the research to configure things:
    http://blog.bokhorst.biz/6507/computers-and-internet/how-to-setup-a-vps-as-web-server/#setup_email

• thanks guys. I used to use exim, but I heard it had lots of security issues

I've ended up going with postfix for now. it's only using about 5MB RAM so should be OK

• Silvenga said: Really? I always thought Postfix was the heaviest, although never tested. I use Postfix for the unparalleled flexibility.

I guess it depends on operating system. I think CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu and some other crazy maintainers, may build packages using wierd or weak options. On Debian Wheezy x64, postfix looks lightest for me.