Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM Review

LexLex Member
edited July 2014 in Reviews

I've been with BlueVM for about almost a year now.
I got the Blue 1 (OpenVZ) for 1$/month (paid quarterly) around August last year.

Performance and Support: The server was more than good, it was very fast & stable (unfortunately I don't have a benchmark or proof of that) but at some point the network got extremely slow, it went from pulling a solid 30-50MB/s to a max of 2MB/s (proof below).

Just so you know, I've ran the benchmark multilple times, in different days, and the performance just got worse by the day.
When I finally decided to open a ticket, not to whine about it (it was still good for my needs at that time) but to let them know about the issue.

Download speed from CacheFly: 1.97MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1008KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 798KB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 427KB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 449KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 541KB/s

That was my first ticket with them, and it was answered after 8 minutes. I didn't even noticed it till the next day, I thought they will respond in atleast 6 hours.

But the "issue" was not solved, the speed got even worse than that:
(I was offered a transfer to another node/location in case "the issue doesn't resolve by itself"-actual quote from support ticket),

Download speed from CacheFly: 556KB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 680KB/s

While I was waiting for a response for why the network was so bad, I started playing around with some java stuff, and got a little stuck.

I replied in the same ticket (thinking there might be a problem with my server and/or the resources) letting them know about my problem, and they helped me with it ! Even though the server was unmanaged, these guys helped me ! I can't say how much I appreciate that guys ! Thanks again !

After 3 days from my initial ticket and a response that "the issue will be fixed in a couple of hours" the speed got even SLOWER:

Download speed from CacheFly: 189KB/s

The problem was solved in the end. But it took them around 4 days from my initial ticket to solve it :)

The same issue occured yet again 3 months later, but this time I accepted the node/location transfer.

Besides these two tickets related to performance issues, I've opened a couple more, two of them being because I accidentally paid the invoice twice...twice, and they gladly offered me a paypal refund or credit in my account, choosed paypal refund the first time it happened, and credit the second time as I had no intention of cancelling my server with them :).

I have used to box purely for playing with different stuff and learning purposes, nothing for production or critical stuff.So basicly, the vps was sitting idle 98% of the time.

Benchmark: Here's a benchmark of the server took just a couple of minutes ago: (ran the bench 5 times, below are the average results)

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 3400.100 MHz Total amount of ram : 256 MB Total amount of swap : 256 MB System uptime : 24 days, 1:40, Download speed from CacheFly: 4.91MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.86MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.35MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.08MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 1.82MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.54MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 516KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 967KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.05MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 13.3MB/s I/O speed : 119 MB/s

The speeds are kinda low, for a gbit conection.

Uptime: This is a category where BlueVM needs to work on IMHO, they had the worst uptime of all of my boxes.
Since I added this box to my uptimerobot (back in May this year) they had 14 outages , lasting from 3 minutes to 12 hours, having a total of 32 hours of downtime in roughly 2 months.

For the past 30 days, the box had an uptime of 99.65%.
(For comparison, I also have a KS-1, and Host1Free box that have a 100% uptime since I got them last year)

Overall: For learning purposes, maybe backup, and nothing critical, I recommend these guys ! For production stuff, not so much.

I still have the server with these guys, and intend to keep it that way, the support is one of the best I had so far ! They might be a little slow at solving issues, but they (unlike other hosts) atleast communicate with you during it, letting you know of the progress that has been made. Also they helped me when they weren't paid or obliged to, and for that, they won me for a long time to come.

Please keep in mind, this is just my experience with them, and my opinion about them.

Sorry if I have typos or grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Comments

• BlueVM is a pile of absolute shit.

My Swiss KVM was only up for a week after I bought it for around $37/yr, and has been down ever since.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@0xdragon - Maybe your box was compromised. Would certainly make a lot more sense.

• @FrankZ said:
    0xdragon - Maybe your box was compromised. Would certainly make a lot more sense.

It wasn't suspended, silly.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Just having fun :)

• 32 hours of downtime over 2 months? It's about 32 minutes of downtime every day.

• BlueVM is wrost service, They can suspend your VPS without any warning. Their IO of every Node are very slow, Support is good but very late reply. Overall I will not choose it again.

• Okay, I have to say my experiences with BlueVM is good overall. They are lagging in their tickets, yes they even accept that.. but they are helpful and sort out the issue ( esp when Justin takes charge, it is done in a jiffy). Some of their nodes need some love.. but that doesnt mean they dont have happy clients. Here is a bench for one of my VPS with them

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  3399.995 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 256 MB
    System uptime :   40 days, 19:08,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 19.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 34.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 62.0MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 870KB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 12.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 53.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.93MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 44.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 37.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 64.9MB/s
    I/O speed :  146 MB/s

• I'd had two tickets recently (one today and one the day before yesterday), both of them answered in less than 12 hours and resolved without any need for followup.

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3500.076 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1024 MB
    System uptime :   124 days, 19:35,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 32.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.61MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 57.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.47MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 5.54MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 39.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.60MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 31.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 24.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 40.2MB/s
    I/O speed :  102 MB/s

• They have poor communication skills when it relates to downtime

• RBHRBH Member

@outance said:
    BlueVM is wrost service, They can suspend your VPS without any warning. Their IO of every Node are very slow, Support is good but very late reply. Overall I will not choose it again.

I "abused" bluevm, ran database server with about 20,000 intensive queries per minute.

• emgemg Veteran

I started my own thread containing a NEGATIVE review of BlueVM. The reason for starting a new thread is summarized at the top. See:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/31333/bluevm-review-definitely-not-recommended-avoid-bluevm

I do not recommend BlueVM.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Thanks for the review. We are working to improve all points mentioned.