Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Xen/KVM Installer - does it work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Xen/KVM Installer - does it work?

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited May 2012 in General

I'm setting up a lab to get some familiarity with both, but being lazy I went the SolusVM installer router than doing it manually other than base OS install and LVM configuration and all that.

In either case neither install produced a working system that SolusVM could provision on. So does only the OpenVZ portion work? Just asking before I go and do manual setups.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

I've had no issues with CentOS 6 and this guide: http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/Install

I'm not that great with the ins and outs of virtualization (no pretending here). You know what they say, anyone can make them, fixing them is another thing. But getting it up and running hasn't been an issue for me. Is there a specific issue that seems to keep coming up?

• laaevlaaev Member

You will need to create the LVM yourself.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

and don't forget the -s 32M when setting the physical extent on your LVM

First 2.6.32 Kernel test node is showing great results under XEN and KVM, (all current nodes are on 2.6.18) with the newer kernel I am able to get 450 - 500 MB/s in a dd test compared to the usual 250+

I think the key here is that SolusVM installs SolusVM, you should probably just do the rest yourself for best results.

• Have you got the correct extensions loaded (KVM)?

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

I think it was half asleep and did not reload the OS between switching from Xen to KVM so gonna do a fresh install today, and with a dev build vs a minimal.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@FRCorey said: so gonna do a fresh install today, and with a dev build vs a minimal.

You are playing with EL6? Do a basic opposed to minimal install and wget http://bigtim.bigtim.net/cent6.sh edit it how you like, run that then the solus install and everything will work

• @miTgiB said: You are playing with EL6? Do a basic opposed to minimal install and wget http://bigtim.bigtim.net/cent6.sh edit it how you like, run that then the solus install and everything will work

Line 15 (ln -s /usr/bin/nano /usr/bin/pico) reminded me of my first time with a linux server, when I couldn't find pico (which I had used on my freebsd jail "VPS" and my Mac). Then I discovered pico was just a symbolic link to nano on my Mac.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: reminded me of my first time with a linux server

Back before you were born oh young one, in my first shell account, pine was the email client and pico was it's editor, nano/linux did not exist yet, or were still alpha at the time.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: pine was the email client and pico

elm and vi for some of us

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • FRCoreyFRCorey Member

nano(pico) or vi depending on what I'm doing at the moment. Vi for more complicated tasks, nano normally when Vi is misbehaving through certain terminal programs.

• @FRCorey said: nano(pico) or vi depending on what I'm doing at the moment. Vi for more complicated tasks, nano normally when Vi is misbehaving through certain terminal programs.

Nano is great for quick jobs, when you dont want to have to press 15 buttons in order to edit a configuration file.

• When I create a KVM slave the physical extent or PE always defaults to 4mb. I've deleted the volume group and added a new one with a PE of 32mb but I always get a kernal panic. Even though when I use vgdisplay everything looks perfect. What else can I check for?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

the PE size of a VG would not cause a kernel panic.

Also: